The Student Room Group

I am a final year pharmacy student, Ask me anything!

A 23 year old final year pharmacy student. By glad to answer any questions you have :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Optimist
A 23 year old final year pharmacy student. By glad to answer any questions you have :smile:

What's your favourite thing about the study of pharmacy?

What kind of career are you hoping to do after it?
What area are you doing your pre reg in?
Reply 3
What's your opinion on the use of modafinil to enhance concentration etc when studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
What's your favourite thing about the study of pharmacy?

What kind of career are you hoping to do after it?

I would say what I really enjoyed is the invaluable knowledge you would get from the pharmacy course and knowing at the end of it you will be an healthcare professional who is the custodian of the nation's medicines. I really value that level of responsibility.

I am hoping to work as a community pharmacist and perhaps go to do an Independent prescribing course or go back to education. Things are getting quite difficult for pharmacists nowadays.
Original post by claireestelle
What area are you doing your pre reg in?

I am applied for a community pre reg in a Allied Pharmacy branch.

Did you ever consider hospital pharmacy? :smile:
Reply 7
I hear there's a lot of decent work in manufacturing and quality nowadays, you don't need an MPharm to do it, but i know of a few recently qualified pharmacist who are looking to go down that route.

yay for community pharmacy :biggrin:
Original post by georgem93
What's your opinion on the use of modafinil to enhance concentration etc when studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting question. I have personally never used it myself, however I do know it certainly not a "magic pill". Some people claim it works for them and others not so. It tends to work more for those people with an underlying attention deficiency or are the "sleepy" type. If you feel it works for you and you're very mature and careful about how you would use it, then I'd have no issue with it. Just don't over do it!
yay for community pharmacy :biggrin:

Are you a pharmacy student? if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by thegodofgod
Did you ever consider hospital pharmacy? :smile:

Actually yes, but my heart guided me towards community. I wouldn't mind working in a hospital for a while. It would certainly be an enriching experience.
Are you a pharmacy student? if you don't mind me asking.

Nope, I m a trainee pharmacy technician and work in community pharmacy.
Original post by Sam00
I hear there's a lot of decent work in manufacturing and quality nowadays, you don't need an MPharm to do it, but i know of a few recently qualified pharmacist who are looking to go down that route.

That's true. You certainly do not need to have an Mpharm to be involved in pharmaceutical industry. I know plenty of people with pure chemistry qualifications working there. If your qualification and skills means you have something to offer the industry, then they'll certainly consider taking you on board.
Reply 14

What do you think about the use of heroin supply clinics in the UK, like what the Swiss did? And do you think all drugs should be legalised?
Nope, I m a trainee pharmacy technician and work in community pharmacy.

Oh that is great! So would pharmacy be something you'd consider studying at university?
To be frank, the technicians and dispensers are actually the ones running the pharmacy it seems to me :biggrin:
Reply 16
Interesting question. I have personally never used it myself, however I do know it certainly not a "magic pill". Some people claim it works for them and others not so. It tends to work more for those people with an underlying attention deficiency or are the "sleepy" type. If you feel it works for you and you're very mature and careful about how you would use it, then I'd have no issue with it. Just don't over do it!

I take a number of medications - nortriptyline, propranolol, fexofenadine (720mg daily), betahistine, acetazolamide, tramadol/co-dydramol dependent on pain intensity, diclofenac/misoprostol and I have ON blocks. Modafinil is prescribed in an attempt to counteract the drowsiness caused by the medicines I take. I've worked as a dispenser for 6 years and I'm a Cancer Biology MSc student, just wanted to see what a 'fresh pharmacist' thought about it as I assume you'd be learning from more up to date research papers.
Reply 17
Oh that is great! So would pharmacy be something you'd consider studying at university?
To be frank, the technicians and dispensers are actually the ones running the pharmacy it seems to me :biggrin:

Actually counter assistants do the most as I found

Well, i actually originally studied for 2 years at university to get onto a nursing course then did that for 6 months before realizing that really wasn't for me. Since I've used 3 years of funding I couldn't get an MPharm funded but to be honest if I could I wouldn't want to as I m perfectly happy staying a pharmacy technician for the rest of my career (and I'd be in my late twenties by the time I did a pre reg so going back to uni doesn't fit in with my plans to have a family then either).

And like you say we run the place anyway:P
I'd like to do my ACT course a couple of years after I finish my level 3 though :smile:
Original post by georgem93
I take a number of medications - nortriptyline, propranolol, fexofenadine (720mg daily), betahistine, acetazolamide, tramadol/co-dydramol dependent on pain intensity, diclofenac/misoprostol and I have ON blocks. Modafinil is prescribed in an attempt to counteract the drowsiness caused by the medicines I take. I've worked as a dispenser for 6 years and I'm a Cancer Biology MSc student, just wanted to see what a 'fresh pharmacist' thought about it as I assume you'd be learning from more up to date research papers.

I see. That makes sense I suppose. However, if your medications are causing you too much drowsiness, then you could ask to switch some of them. For example propranolol is a beta blocker which has relatively more CNS side effects as it crosses the blood brain barrier. Sometimes your healthcare professionals will deliberately prescribe drowsy causing medicines to help one sleep better, for example if you're suffering from itching and you can not sleep etc.

Interesting masters topic you have there. What do you plan on doing after you finished you masters?

Quick Reply

Latest