The Student Room Group

help me right now, im being stupid

right im about to put my firm and insurance offers on ucas

but the thing is

my insurance choice is one grade higher (in terms of entry reqs)... than my firm choice...

and i don't know what to do?

I'm basing the choices of the courses (nd how much each appeals to me), not the grades, but I know it's such a risky move to make if I do by some chance fail to meet my firm. How stupid is it of me to do this?

Firm - Sheffield, Insurance = Leeds, course = German & Russian.

I just eugh I don't know what to do.
Original post by Inexorably

but the thing is

my insurance choice is one grade higher (in terms of entry reqs)... than my firm choice...

I'm basing the choices of the courses (nd how much each appeals to me), not the grades, but I know it's such a risky move to make if I do by some chance fail to meet my firm. How stupid is it of me to do this?

Did you read the TSR guide for choosing firms and insurance choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are confident in your ability then it may be okay, my friend did that last year - she got into her firm. I don't agree with this approach though, it doesn't make sense.

But tbh, you'd be best off choosing a course with lower requirements that you are equally as happy with - Leeds may not be willing to be flexible in the event you miss your firm (as you would be missing their offer by a larger margin). It is unpredictable, but never assume leniency.

I mean, it won't be a disaster, there are almost always reasonably good courses in clearing (if you do okay)...
if you don't care much for the university's ranking and you care more about the course content go for your firm. However traditionally, your insurance is meant to be a lower offer than your firm, but if you know that you'll definitely get your firm's grades then just go for Sheffield as your 1st choice tbh.

There's no point about worrying about missing your firms grades, because if you don't get that, you wouldn't get your insurance's grades either. If you are skeptical I would suggest selecting an insurance which has lower requirements than Sheffield imo.

In my case my firm is AAA, whereas my insurance is AAB/ABB/BBB (still haven't decided which offer I'm choosing)
Reply 4

but the thing is

You have until May. Wait.

There is no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but the thing is

1. Why exactly are you doing this now when you've got doubts and still have months until the deadline?
2. How sure are you that you will get your firm grades?

There is not a lot of point in doing what you're planning to do. I was in a similar situation that my firm uni didn't have the highest offer grades, so my insurance was not my second favourite uni. It's not ideal, but unfortunately that's the way the system works. If you think it's feasible that you could miss your firm offer then I'd strongly urge you to put a realistic university as your insurance. It's theoretically possible that your insurance with higher grades could be lenient and let you in anyway, but it's not very likely.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
You have until May. Wait.

There is no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But by then, if I still want the same thing (my firm choice will not change, only my insurance might) do I just go for it and be in the weird position of having insurance higher than firm?

Original post by wolfmoon88
Did you read the TSR guide for choosing firms and insurance choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you link me :tongue:

Original post by SinsNotTragedies
If you are confident in your ability then it may be okay, my friend did that last year - she got into her firm. I don't agree with this approach though, it doesn't make sense.

But tbh, you'd be best off choosing a course with lower requirements that you are equally as happy with - Leeds may not be willing to be flexible in the event you miss your firm (as you would be missing their offer by a larger margin). It is unpredictable, but never assume leniency.

I mean, it won't be a disaster, there are almost always reasonably good courses in clearing (if you do okay)...

Thanks for your advice :smile: That is my fear, because the margin is a lot bigger and I don't think Leeds would be as flexible as some of my choices.

Original post by Hannaha124
if you don't care much for the university's ranking and you care more about the course content go for your firm. However traditionally, your insurance is meant to be a lower offer than your firm, but if you know that you'll definitely get your firm's grades then just go for Sheffield as your 1st choice tbh.

There's no point about worrying about missing your firms grades, because if you don't get that, you wouldn't get your insurance's grades either. If you are skeptical I would suggest selecting an insurance which has lower requirements than Sheffield imo.

In my case my firm is AAA, whereas my insurance is AAB/ABB/BBB (still haven't decided which offer I'm choosing)

I actually also don't think any of my offers are below Sheffield, I'm certain BB (already have an A) is the lowest offer I have which is for Sheffield, Manc and Birmingham (with Nottingham and Leeds being AB) lmao. So I can only choose ones on par which is safer than ones above.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
1. Why exactly are you doing this now when you've got doubts and still have months until the deadline?
2. How sure are you that you will get your firm grades?

There is not a lot of point in doing what you're planning to do. I was in a similar situation that my firm uni didn't have the highest offer grades, so my insurance was not my second favourite uni. It's not ideal, but unfortunately that's the way the system works. If you think it's feasible that you could miss your firm offer then I'd strongly urge you to put a realistic university as your insurance. It's theoretically possible that your insurance with higher grades could be lenient and let you in anyway, but it's not very likely.

Because I got my offers months ago and I've been doubting this situation ever since I got them and I just want the doubts to go awayyyy. I can wait longer but I've concluded I'm never going to reach a happy conclusion regarding the insurance.

I actually also don't think any of my offers are below Sheffield, I'm certain BB (already have an A) is the lowest offer I have which is for Sheffield, Manc and Birmingham (with Nottingham and Leeds being AB) lmao. So I can only choose ones on par which is safer than ones above.

Just make sure you bang out revision and cop the grades then. God bless
Because I got my offers months ago and I've been doubting this situation ever since I got them and I just want the doubts to go awayyyy. I can wait longer but I've concluded I'm never going to reach a happy conclusion regarding the insurance.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/firm-and-insurance-choice-replying-to-university-offers

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices

Might be two helpful links

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8

Nottingham made a video on this. Put the uni you WANT to go to as your firm.

Quick Reply

Latest