The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james282
Was a while ago now but I think it was mainly a lack of confidence and my interviews were terrible compared to the ones I've had this year! I worked for a year as a care assistant at a care home, volunteered as a ward helper at a hospice and now I've got all my pharmacy stuff so I have more experience as well!

I see. Well you have good experiences, I think all you have left now is to just ace your interviews. I am a while away yet. I am going to have to get experience in a HCA etc, as I have not managed to get any yet. Pharmacy eats up so much of our time!

I wish you all the best.
Original post by Mr Optimist
Any pharmacist/pharmacy student that has applied for GEM? Be very nice to hear from some of you guys.

I am a pharmacist and have a current application in for medicine. Not for graduate entry though. Have you applied or waiting to apply
Original post by Window16
I am a pharmacist and have a current application in for medicine. Not for graduate entry though. Have you applied or waiting to apply

Hi :smile:

I am currently in my final year of MPharm. I am hoping to apply 2019. After I finished my pre reg and done some work experience as HCA etc/.

Can I ask why you're thinking of the 5 year course and not the GEM? due to less competition? You obviously must have really good GCSE/A-level. Something which I can't say for myself.
Reply 2743
Hi :smile:

I am currently in my final year of MPharm. I am hoping to apply 2019. After I finished my pre reg and done some work experience as HCA etc/.

Can I ask why you're thinking of the 5 year course and not the GEM? due to less competition? You obviously must have really good GCSE/A-level. Something which I can't say for myself.

I'm in the same boat as you and looking to apply 2017/18 (3rd year PharmSci student) but as far as I know some universities will treat it exactly the same as if you had applied to the A101. So even if you had bad A-levels/GCSE's they would only consider your degree for your academic qualifier.

If you can afford it then I think it might be better to apply for both since you have more of a chance with A100.

My parents live quite close to Newcastle University so I'm planning to live with them and just use my maintenance loan and money from my part time job to pay off tuition fees, If I go A100 route.

EDIT: I Would contact every university though, since some do weight your GCSEs/A-levels and some don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by high
I'm in the same boat as you and looking to apply 2017/18 (3rd year PharmSci student) but as far as I know some universities will treat it exactly the same as if you had applied to the A101. So even if you had bad A-levels/GCSE's they would only consider your degree for your academic qualifier.

If you can afford it then I think it might be better to apply for both since you have more of a chance with A100.

My parents live quite close to Newcastle University so I'm planning to live with them and just use my maintenance loan and money from my part time job to pay off tuition fees, If I go A100 route.

EDIT: I Would contact every university though, since some do weight your GCSEs/A-levels and some don't.

Which universities are you referring to? I am aware of some unis that reduce their A-level requirements i.e Manchester, but still require the high GCSE's. I am not aware of other university that treat the A100 and A101 the same for someone holding a degree.

I am limited to which unis I can apply to. I have to apply to GEM course in universities that do not look at A-levels and GCSE's. The list is very limited sadly. If they offer me an A100 i'd would not be able to afford because all these universities I will be applying to are far from Manchester (where I live) so I'd have to move out, this along tuition fees would make it highly unlikely that I could afford it. Unless I took out a loan or something.
(edited 7 years ago)
5yr less comp, more unis, GEM far too competitive, plus not a fan of GAMSAT, gcse/a-levels nothing massively impressive
My GCSE's were BBBB and D in English, which I resat in college and got an A. This resit may give them a reason to reject me.
My A-level were really bad due to some serious situation I had going in college, I got BCD in Chem, Maths and physics.
I did an access course 1 year after A-levels called access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical science in which I got distinction in all modules.

If they were not so picky, I would have been willing to resit some of these courses and get better results, the problem is these damned results stick with us for the rest of our lives and we have to declare them on UCAS etc. So even if I resat and got A star in everything, they would still see old results and reject anyway. It's so upsetting we have to face so much hardship due to situation I had little control over in the past.

Unless they themselves offer me the A100 then sadly there is no way I can see getting in via the 5 year course. I would have loved to apply to even Liverpool but can't due to A-levels.

I am really motivated to get into medicine, so even an A100 would be great if they offered me it, so I guess I better start saving up from now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2747
Which universities are you referring to? I am aware of some unis that reduce their A-level requirements i.e Manchester, but still require the high GCSE's. I am not aware of other university that treat the A100 and A101 the same for someone holding a degree.

I am limited to which unis I can apply to. I have to apply to GEM course in universities that do not look at A-levels and GCSE's. The list is very limited sadly. If they offer me an A100 i'd would not be able to afford because all these universities I will be applying to are far from Manchester (where I live) so I'd have to move out, this along tuition fees would make it highly unlikely that I could afford it. Unless I took out a loan or something.

Essentially I think it's ones that accept a GAMSAT since it's essentially designed for graduates and covers knowledge learnt at A-level.

I think you would have to email each university your interested in but the ones I know of are Newcastle, Exeter and Plymouth that accept graduates for A100 with no A-level requirements.

There was a girl on YouTube that talked about her experience of getting into med school and she did experimental psychology and got a 2:2 and got into exeter's A100 course, but she had to do the gamsat. She had difficulty funding it too but I think she had savings and parents just in case also she eventually got funding from a charity.
This is the video if your interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YOcDk7Ohs

I am going to call newcastle up probably after they've finished their busy season for admissions and ask them specifically but on their website for A100 it says:
"Graduate applicants to A100 Applicants must have achieved, or expect to achieve, an honours degree in any discipline to at least an upper second class or first class Honours or Integrated Master's degree." and with 315 places you do have a better chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
My GCSE's were BBBB and D in English, which I resat in college and got an A. This resit may give them a reason to reject me.
My A-level were really bad due to some serious situation I had going in college, I got BCD in Chem, Maths and physics.
I did an access course 1 year after A-levels called access to dentistry, pharmacy and medical science in which I got distinction in all modules.

If they were not so picky, I would have been willing to resit some of these courses and get better results, the problem is these damned results stick with us for the rest of our lives and we have to declare them on UCAS etc. So even if I resat and got A star in everything, they would still see old results and reject anyway. It's so upsetting we have to face so much hardship due to situation I had little control over in the past.

Unless they themselves offer me the A100 then sadly there is no way I can see getting in via the 5 year course. I would have loved to apply to even Liverpool but can't due to A-levels.

I am really motivated to get into medicine, so even an A100 would be great if they offered me it, so I guess I better start saving up from now!

I had below average A-levels and only sat the Ukcat, so I made sure to apply to unis that don't consider those. I was still able to apply to 3 GEM courses (Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton, could have been 4 but really wanted to apply to Glasgow as that is where I am now) and got interview offers for all of them.

It is definitely not impossible however you need to make sure to get s great score in the admission test.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by high
Essentially I think it's ones that accept a GAMSAT since it's essentially designed for graduates and covers knowledge learnt at A-level.

I think you would have to email each university your interested in but the ones I know of are Newcastle, Exeter and Plymouth that accept graduates for A100 with no A-level requirements.

There was a girl on YouTube that talked about her experience of getting into med school and she did experimental psychology and got a 2:2 and got into exeter's A100 course, but she had to do the gamsat. She had difficulty funding it too but I think she had savings and parents just in case also she eventually got funding from a charity.
This is the video if your interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YOcDk7Ohs

I am going to call newcastle up probably after they've finished their busy season for admissions and ask them specifically but on their website for A100 it says:
"Graduate applicants to A100 Applicants must have achieved, or expect to achieve, an honours degree in any discipline to at least an upper second class or first class Honours or Integrated Master's degree." and with 315 places you do have a better chance.

I had a look at the Plymouth and Exeter yesterday and from my understanding they say they look at your degree alongside everything else from your UCAS application, i.e they consider your A-level and GCSE's too? I am not sure.
Original post by mamly042
I had below average A-levels and only sat the Ukcat, so I made sure to apply to unis that don't consider those. I was still able to apply to 3 GEM courses (Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton, could have been 4 but really wanted to apply to Glasgow as that is where I am now) and got interview offers for all of them.

It is definitely not impossible however you need to make sure to get s great score in the admission test.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
I will certainly be applying to the GEM, as those seem to be my only option. I am thinking of going with Warwick, Swansea, Nottingham and maybe SGUL.
Reply 2751
I had a look at the Plymouth and Exeter yesterday and from my understanding they say they look at your degree alongside everything else from your UCAS application, i.e they consider your A-level and GCSE's too? I am not sure.

I'm not sure where you got the exeter information from. I searched on google and found a FAQ from Exeter medical school (it's a word document). It says:
"if you have completed a degree programme or it has been more than two years since you completed your full A levels, you will be considered as a non-direct school leaver"

and the more relevant part "Your performance in a prior degree or past secondary school will not be taken into consideration",
So it sounds like they only consider GAMSAT which seems a bit ridiculous if true.

This is why we need to contact every university directly since information is not always reliable or obvious.
Original post by high
I'm not sure where you got the exeter information from. I searched on google and found a FAQ from Exeter medical school (it's a word document). It says:
"if you have completed a degree programme or it has been more than two years since you completed your full A levels, you will be considered as a non-direct school leaver"

and the more relevant part "Your performance in a prior degree or past secondary school will not be taken into consideration",
So it sounds like they only consider GAMSAT which seems a bit ridiculous if true.

This is why we need to contact every university directly since information is not always reliable or obvious.

Well I would certainly contact them to confirm. That seems very strange. I think perhaps what they're trying to say is that if you had a previous degree, they may not take that into account and only take the most current one into consideration. So lets say before my current Mpharm degree I have done pharmacology, they would not take my pharmacology degree into consideration but only look at my Mpharm one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2753
Well I would certainly contact them to confirm. That seems very strange. I think perhaps what they're trying to say is that if you had a previous degree, they may not take that into account and only take the most current one into consideration. So lets say before my current Mpharm degree I have done pharmacology, they would not take my pharmacology degree into consideration but only look at my Mpharm one.

Yeah but Gamsat takes you into direct competition with A-level students since it covers a lot of the main areas so you can compare the results. So I can seem them not taking into account prior degree if the student had a good/bad gamsat since it's essentially good/bad a-levels.
Original post by high
Yeah but Gamsat takes you into direct competition with A-level students since it covers a lot of the main areas so you can compare the results. So I can seem them not taking into account prior degree if the student had a good/bad gamsat since it's essentially good/bad a-levels.

I agree with you, if anything GAMSAT are more difficult to be honest as in the chemistry and biology part, they are similar to first year degree level topics.
In terms of working as an HCA, I've found a lot of hospitals ask for applicants to have an NVQ in health and social care, something I don't have - an ideas what I can do about this?
rgg
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that's usually just 'desired' criteria not 'essential'. I got on as bank HCA at a hospital with nothing but volunteering experience on wards at another hospital. Give the post holders a ring and enquire as I don't know of any HCA's that needed to have NVQ's for the role.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themightylaa
I think that's usually just 'desired' criteria not 'essential'. I got on as bank HCA at a hospital with nothing but volunteering experience on wards at another hospital. Give the post holders a ring and enquire as I don't know of any HCA's that needed to have NVQ's for the role.

Seconded. Never had to supply any qualifications to get my HCA job. Just some ward volunteering experience.
Original post by Themightylaa

Great, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending