The Student Room Group

What do you think of my A-Level choices?

I chose Further Maths, Physics and Computing and want to have a career in computing. Do you think these subjects will prepare me well for my chosen career?

Still doing GCSEs right now and I seem to be best in these subjects, which is lucky because I also enjoy them :h:

Also, if anyone could explain what an EPQ is and if it's worth it, I'd be very grateful :smile:!
Original post by Aiyoxiin
I chose Further Maths, Physics and Computing and want to have a career in computing. Do you think these subjects will prepare me well for my chosen career?

Still doing GCSEs right now and I seem to be best in these subjects, which is lucky because I also enjoy them :h:

Also, if anyone could explain what an EPQ is and if it's worth it, I'd be very grateful :smile:!

I *think* those are amongst the most, if not the most, desirable subjects for say, Computer Science or engineering etc.

I don't know anything about EPQs, I wouldn't suggest doing one for the sake of it though... I did just fine without one! I would suggest looking into summer school at unis and work experience and and public lectures and reading material, I would recommend learning R.
Reply 2

They're good choices. I think an EPQ is when you choose to research and then present your favourite topic.
as good as it gets tbh.
Reply 4

You've quite literally picked the only subjects that go with computing/computer science. It doesn't get better than that.
Reply 5
An EPQ is a really long essay - I think 5000 words? - about whatever you want lol. Some people related it to their subject so they can talk about it in interviews and personal statements. For example someone who wanted to do computer science at uni did it on "Can the world exist without Google" or something to that effect, someone who wanted to do motorsports did it on "Car Safety in Formula One".

When we went to the UCAS convention last year everyone we asked had no idea what an EPQ was so I wouldn't bother if you don't think you'd have time but it gives you some practice with researching and citing sources and referencing things properly which are all things you'd have to do at uni.

I didn't do it because of that, but it's worth more than an AS and less than an A level in terms of UCAS points so could come in useful when you need a boost and could get you alternative offers for some unis.

Basically if you have the time and motivation go for it but if you're just in the mindset of "ok gotta get through these A levels and I'm free" then don't.
Reply 6
Original post by z33
An EPQ is a really long essay - I think 5000 words? - about whatever you want lol. Some people related it to their subject so they can talk about it in interviews and personal statements. For example someone who wanted to do computer science at uni did it on "Can the world exist without Google" or something to that effect, someone who wanted to do motorsports did it on "Car Safety in Formula One".

When we went to the UCAS convention last year everyone we asked had no idea what an EPQ was so I wouldn't bother if you don't think you'd have time but it gives you some practice with researching and citing sources and referencing things properly which are all things you'd have to do at uni.

I didn't do it because of that, but it's worth more than an AS and less than an A level in terms of UCAS points so could come in useful when you need a boost and could get you alternative offers for some unis.

Basically if you have the time and motivation go for it but if you're just in the mindset of "ok gotta get through these A levels and I'm free" then don't.

Ah, I see. Thank you. I'll have to think about it because obviously the more I can 'show off' about when applying to uni the better, but at the same time I don't want it to affect my study time for ny subjects.
Reply 7
Original post by Aklaol
You've quite literally picked the only subjects that go with computing/computer science. It doesn't get better than that.

Original post by whorefromvegas
as good as it gets tbh.

Original post by S2M
They're good choices. I think an EPQ is when you choose to research and then present your favourite topic.

Original post by SeanFM
I *think* those are amongst the most, if not the most, desirable subjects for say, Computer Science or engineering etc.

I don't know anything about EPQs, I wouldn't suggest doing one for the sake of it though... I did just fine without one! I would suggest looking into summer school at unis and work experience and and public lectures and reading material, I would recommend learning R.

Alrighty, thanks guys that confirms my choices!
Reply 8
Alrighty, thanks guys that confirms my choices!

:smile:

Maths and Computing go well together, not sure if Physics would go well though.
It goes with the Maths, but if you want a Computing career, don't do physics.
EPQ stands for Extended Project Qualification and is worth half an A-level.
You can choose a subject of your choice and you'll be set a question to do with your chosen subject to answer.
Reply 10
Those are good subjects. And they complement each other so you shouldn't struggle too much.

For EPQ, my friend who wants to do Computing made a simple game, it's just something that shows she's interested in the subject and helped beef up her personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest