The Student Room Group

Why is this subforum so right-wing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoyfan
Well please lecture me in what it means to be a righty and tell me why the conservatives are left wing.

Abolish the NHS, abolish state education, legalise guns, legalise private armies. Zero control of immigration. Castle doctrine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by jape
I think there's a lot of truth to that. It's not difficult to forget that you're in a minority school of thought as a right-winger, and I suppose that compels you to speak up as much as possible when you can. The relative anonymity of TSR makes a great deal of people feel more comfortable doing so than they otherwise might face-to-face.

its a cliche. If you're not left wing when your young then you don't have a heart. If you're not right wing when your old, you don't have a brain. I disagree with it completely. If you're right wing, then you don't have a heart or brain

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
I wouldn't even call it conservatism/liberalism per se - I just like policies that make sense. So, even though I might be described as a fiscal conservative (loathe as I am to being called any kind of conservative), I think the people who go by that name in, say, America are quite mistaken. They believe the way to deal with a 2007/08-style recession is to cut spending to the bone because they don't think there's any great difference between government and household spending. :facepalm:

The american style of fiscal conservatism contradicts liberal social policies by hurting the poor and benefiting the rich. Especially concerning deregulation.
Original post by l'etranger
Abolish the NHS, abolish state education, legalise guns, legalise private armies. Zero control of immigration.

Ok... did you know that other policies are right wing? Or are you those kind of people who argue that only people who agree with your opinions are right/left wing?

I don't think you realise that there are other policies (some of which are supported by the conservatives) which are right wing.

Additionally your opinion about zero control of immigration isn't really that right wing.

Just because you don't agree with an opinion doesn't mean that it is not a righty opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
because libertarianism, nationalism and alt right"ism" are all reasonable positions to adhere to, surely? dictation is bad, globalism (not "globalisation":wink: is practically the same thing as authoritarianism,and SJW-ism is honestly the equivalent of being the "edgy" reverse-KKK for hipsters.

Your argument is fallacious. It's also like suggesting that being left wing is good on the basis that fascism is bad. You're and epitome of popular internet culture in recent years has led to mindless half witted right wingers that make fallacious statements and have created a safe space of lies.
Original post by l'etranger
Abolish the NHS, abolish state education, legalise guns, legalise private armies. Zero control of immigration. Castle doctrine.

Our country has let in immigrants and yet you stand to get rid of britishness. go back to wherever you're from if you want to enforce your backward ideology on us.
What's so hilariously ironic about this thread is that the quoted responses in the OP are exactly the kind of idiotic holier-than-thou responses that make people pissed off with the left and turn to the right.

Calling all right wingers narcissists? Or idiots? Way to go guys, especially from senior voices on TSR.
Your post is a disgrace.
Original post by thatswrong.
Your argument is fallacious. It's also like suggesting that being left wing is good on the basis that fascism is bad.

you can have left wing fascism, pumpkin.
the opposite of libertarianism is authoritarianism. that's just a fact. screw me. if you're libertarian, you don't think like an authoritarian. if you're an authoritarian, you think of government as your playground and you won't care about the cost to freedom. that's why it's so polar. you can't just say "ohh I only care about it here but not there" - libertarianism isn't like that. if you're like <that, you're an authoritarian, because you desire authority and you only like liberty when it suits you. libertarianism, hence, is a rejection of that clear "government is my toy" ethic. it's very clear cut like that.

You're and epitome of popular internet culture in recent years has led to mindless half witted right wingers that make fallacious statements and have created a safe space of lies.

you know, the opposite of being a globalist or an SJW isn't being a right winger. do you think sargon is a right winger? do you think shoeonhead is a right winger? do you think chrisraygun is a right winger? um...no. don't generalise.
Worst aspects of the far right: bitterness, anger, ignorance, bigotry

Worst aspects of the far left: bitterness, anger, ignorance, bigotry

At their absolute worst, they are one and the same...
you can have left wing fascism, pumpkin.
the opposite of libertarianism is authoritarianism. that's just a fact. screw me. if you're libertarian, you don't think like an authoritarian. if you're an authoritarian, you think of government as your playground and you won't care about the cost to freedom. that's why it's so polar. you can't just say "ohh I only care about it here but not there" - libertarianism isn't like that. if you're like <that, you're an authoritarian, because you desire authority and you only like liberty when it suits you. libertarianism, hence, is a rejection of that clear "government is my toy" ethic. it's very clear cut like that.

you know, the opposite of being a globalist or an SJW isn't being a right winger. do you think sargon is a right winger? do you think shoeonhead is a right winger? do you think chrisraygun is a right winger? um...no. don't generalise.

Your argument is fallacious, saying that these ideologies are good is like a defence mechanism, whereby you only choose to believe in a view to stop something else without justifying the view itself.

Also do try to be concise. Youre a known poster for engulfing people with paragraphs on the internet, boring them and making them give up on arguing with you. You may have a lot of time but others here are smart people who have some hope in life and education.
Mathemagicien
OPBecause this is the only place right wing kids can spout off without being social outcasts, and the rest of us got bored/fed up and moved on :sadnod:
Original post by thatswrong.
Your argument is fallacious, saying that these ideologies are good is like a defence mechanism, whereby you only choose to believe in a view to stop something else without justifying the view itself.

so...you want me to justify....freedom.

Also do try to be concise. Youre a known poster for engulfing people with paragraphs on the internet, boring them and making them give up on arguing with you. You may have a lot of time but others here are smart people who have some hope in life and education.

wow, was that an attempt at an insult? you sound like a ****ing grandma don't you?
Original post by Craghyrax
Because this is the only place right wing kids can spout off without being social outcasts, and the rest of us got bored/fed up and moved on :sadnod:

^proof that TSR mods are like this, folks.
(mods, support team, same thing)
Like what? :p: Left wing and blunt?

If it puts your mind at ease, there are a range of political views in the staff.
Original post by Craghyrax
Like what? :p: Left wing and blunt?

just left wing, liberal, SJW etc - everything that is a formula for somebody that will flag you for simply expressing your opinions that they don't agree with or like. you know how it is. I even got flagged the other day for "offending potential homeless people"...on the student room. I **** you not.
Original post by MrDystopia
If it puts your mind at ease, there are a range of political views in the staff.

I'm yet to see proof of that tbh
a right wing mod would be like a 4 leaf clover.
Original post by Zargabaath
that's what it's poking fun at, people think they're special for not totally aligning with one side of the spectrum when really it's very common

oh :tongue:
so...you want me to justify....freedom.

Again, another fallacy. You're suggesting that only people that believe in your specific ideology also believe in freedom. But i dont want you to justify anything, I just wanted to demonstrate how your justification for the aforementioned views was fallacious and you're an epitome of the type of right wingers OP and Captain haddock were referring to. Thank you for playing sheep.

wow, was that an attempt at an insult? you sound like a ****ing grandma don't you?

It wasn't an insult at all mate. Don't get defensive, im just pointing out another tactic right wing internet arguers use. But yes, I do think you're suffering from far too much free time. People here go to top unis and you go Exeter doing a BA. It shouldnt be surprising that inundating people with paragraphs while they have some real work to do will ultimately lead you to earn a sense of satisfaction you so desperately need.

At least you're better than our good buddy @Dodgypirate here. He went open uni, explains why he's got the time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending