The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lusine
You can't really compare Oxford to any other university (bar Cambridge of course), so yes, OP could have applied, but Oxford is a dream, it's an ambition, it's always worth having a go...(See above)

No point being a prestige snob if you can't afford the prestigious university. TCD and the Karolinska Institute are very good unis, the OP would be lucky to go there - they aren't Oxford, but so what? Dreams are for kids, the OP has to make the best of what he's got.
Reply 121
Original post by 999tigger
You missed the point, which was funding was always the elephant in the room.

Due to our very weak exchange rate following Brexit, then you have a 15-20% reduction in fees which is a nice start. You dont have anything to lose trying to crowdfund and as someone suggested contacting Indian alumni or companies.

I haven't missed the point, I appreciate the money is the problem (unless you were referring to the person I was responding to). But you shouldn't NOT apply to the university of your dreams, just because you don't have the money. You never know what opportunities might come up after you've received the offer, as you said above, there are many options to consider at this stage.

If you went round asking for money before you hold an offer, no one is going to give it to you. But if you have an offer, you stand some chance...
Original post by Lusine
I haven't missed the point, I appreciate the money is the problem (unless you were referring to the person I was responding to). But you shouldn't NOT apply to the university of your dreams, just because you don't have the money. You never know what opportunities might come up after you've received the offer, as you said above, there are many options to consider at this stage.

If you went round asking for money before you hold an offer, no one is going to give it to you. But if you have an offer, you stand some chance...

Snuffink made a perfectly reasonable and helpful post. I agree with what he said. I will jsut have to agree to disagree with you.
Ok there is a tuition free college in the states by the name of Berea. All you pay is 2,000 dalla. Yeah it's in rural Kentucky but hey, it's a US degree that opens up further doors. As for those asking why we apply yet we can't afford it, I think hope drives us. You never know what comes up between now and September. For instance I have an offer plus a partial fee scholarship and yeah the remaining money is a lot but I have 7 months left to think about my future and also try and get funds from God knows where.

And as for GoFundMe please make sure your family would be okay with it as many people prefer to not be placed publicly. Anyways, good luck and hope to meet you soon. I'll pass by Oxford and say Hi. #DreamingisBeing and yeah only the dead don't dream.
Apply for all the scholarships offered for international students at Oxford, have a look to see if there are any scholarships from the Indian government you would qualify for too :smile: There are loads of websites online too listing general scholarships anyone can apply to - less for the UK than the US but still some, although usually not for huge sums of money.

Then, as others have said try to crowdfund some money, get in touch with Indian companies to see if they would offer sponsorship, ask your college if they have any extra funds available, try and get in touch with Indian alumni from Oxford to see if they would sympathise with your position and offer up some cash, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how the tuition fee payment process works for international students, but I'm guessing you don't need to pay it all upfront - if you can get enough in scholarships/ private fundraising for the first year, try and get a job over the summer holidays too, etc. you could manage it. You could speak to Oxford about deferring your place to give you another year of earning money to save up too.

However, it is a HUGE amount of money to save up - have you considered other universities where tuition fees are much cheaper/ free, or there are scholarships available? US universities usually have a lot more scholarships and financial aid, and there are many countries which offer free/ very cheap tuition or easily obtainable scholarships for international students - e.g. China, Germany, Iceland, France, Norway, Finland, Czech Republic, etc. Yes, perhaps you wouldn't be able to attend such a prestigious institution - however there's always the option to go to Oxford for a Masters/ PhD, for which there is much more funding available :smile:
Original post by Lusine
You can't really compare Oxford to any other university (bar Cambridge of course), so yes, OP could have applied, but Oxford is a dream, it's an ambition, it's always worth having a go...(See above)

I'm sorry but Oxford really isn't all that. It is just another uni, if anything most of the alumini i have seen come from their have a MAJOR attitude/ego problem, which would definitely be a reason for me not wanting my child to go there. Plus i have seen actual racism from Oxbrige, here on tsr in the past. Although, fair play to them, the mods were quick to delete it!
Original post by passé-présent
one hopes Oxbridge will do something about its fee apartheid (e.g. by being as wealthy as the top US universities), which is after all bad for the university too if it deters the best students.

'Fee apartheid' :rolleyes: Oxford, like every other UK university, has a perfect right to charge international students the full cost of the degree. Why should internationals receive British tax-payer-funded subsidised higher education?
Original post by Lusine
That's such a negative attitude from everyone saying that CurryHead shouldn't have applied in the first place! Of course s/he should have. Even just to try out and see if s/he could get in. In the future, even if s/he doesnt end up going, she can reapply to Oxford for a Masters and explain what happened, which would certainly be helpful.

Moreover, there are international scholarships available. Yes, they are limited, but CurryHead would never know if s/he could get one if s/he didn't apply in the first place. So, stop all the negativity

and @CurryHead, you need to look at scholarship offered by the Indian government, there can't be thousands of young Indians who have received offers to study at Oxford at an undergrad level, you must be pretty unique, along with a handful of other people, so they might be prepared to offer you something (most of the time in exchange for a commitment to work back in India for a number of years at least, but still),

I think you shouldn't miss this opportunity, you've done an amazing job to get in, and you shouldn't give up on your dream until you reach it!

And whatever people might say, it's always worth asking (your College, Oxford scholarships, your government), the worst that can happen is (as you said yourself) that you'll get rejected.

Hell, if all fails, set up a Crowdfunder account, at least for the costs of the first year of your studies and get friends, family, the internet to fund the degree of a talented person who just can't afford to go...

Rant over. Soz.

Touched a nerve?

My point is fees are stated on the website, if you can't afford them what's the point in applying?

There are other universities available, not my fault OP didn't think it through properly.
Original post by Life_peer
Why did you apply to Oxford if you can't afford it?

Exactly!
Reply 129
Original post by Ishax
Touched a nerve?

My point is fees are stated on the website, if you can't afford them what's the point in applying?

There are other universities available, not my fault OP didn't think it through properly.

Nope, I just don't like overly negative people. And I just explained what the point of applying is - you never know what opportunities might come up later.

OP might bump into a millionaire Oxford alumni who wants to give an opportunity to a young person from his country, but if OP hadn't applied, he'd never know...it's not that hard to understand that the potential benefits outweigh the costs of going through the application process.
Original post by Lusine
Nope, I just don't like overly negative people. And I just explained what the point of applying is - you never know what opportunities might come up later.

OP might bump into a millionaire Oxford alumni who wants to give an opportunity to a young person from his country, but if OP hadn't applied, he'd never know...it's not that hard to understand that the potential benefits outweigh the costs of going through the application process.

It's not negative, it's called having a realistic approach. He's not coming to England, he CAN'T afford to.
Reply 131
Original post by john2054
I'm sorry but Oxford really isn't all that. It is just another uni, if anything most of the alumini i have seen come from their have a MAJOR attitude/ego problem, which would definitely be a reason for me not wanting my child to go there. Plus i have seen actual racism from Oxbrige, here on tsr in the past. Although, fair play to them, the mods were quick to delete it!

There are lots of over-privileged and racist ****heads in all British (and overseas) universities, particularly Oxford, so by that extension you shouldn't go to any university at all. But it's not about that, it's about the quality of education and the opportunities that you get later in life from the network you've created.

If you raise your child well, there is no need to worry that they will become a racist with major attitude/ego, so that's not a reason to not send them there.
Reply 132
Original post by Ishax
It's not negative, it's called having a realistic approach. He's not coming to England, he CAN'T afford to.

You're just jealous he got in :wink::rolleyes:

And you don't know that for sure. I know lots of people who couldn't afford to go but ended up going because they put in the effort to find the funding and had the academic ability to prove that they'd be an asset to the university and society. I'm sure OP is one of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lusine
You're just jealous he got in :wink::rolleyes:

And you don't know that for sure. I know lots of people who couldn't afford to go but ended up going because they put in the effort to find the funding and had the academic ability to prove that they'd be an asset to the university and society. I'm sure OP is one of them.

Clearly lol. He got into a university he can't afford to go to.. He has said it multiple times he can't afford it.

Ahhhh wellll :smile:
Original post by Lusine
There are lots of over-privileged and racist ****heads in all British (and overseas) universities, particularly Oxford, so by that extension you shouldn't go to any university at all. But it's not about that, it's about the quality of education and the opportunities that you get later in life from the network you've created.

If you raise your child well, there is no need to worry that they will become a racist with major attitude/ego, so that's not a reason to not send them there.

I'm sorry but it's not that at all. I went to Derby, which is in the heart of the uk, both geographically and culturally, and unlike the ego heads and elite boarding school students, who make up something like 50% of oxbridges intake each year, you don't have to be elite to get in to Derby. sure you have to pay fees, but that is the same for all unversities now. Actually Derby are prepared to lower the entry requirements, if the interview goes well. Although don't quote me on this.

To be honest with you, i struggled for my degree, and left with a good degree. Now i have had enough. I have also had enough of defending non top tier uk academic universities, from the elite on here, just because they did a computer science degree at a top university, or had an uncle who got a first from cambridge.

As i said, it isn't all that. If you got a place, and were able to complete a degree at oxbridge, congratulations, you are most likely set for life. Or if like the rest of us, you applied to a 'normal' university, and got a 2.1, a desmond or worse, fair play to you our kid. You are just as good and just as clever, and just as able as any of these kids who went to oxbridge.

We can't all go there, there simply aren't enough places. But as long as wherever you go, you put in 100%, no one can ask any more of you. And even if 50% of uk school/college leavers start uni, i find it very hard to believe that anywhere near this, leave with one, okay???>>?
Reply 135
Original post by Lusine
That's such a negative attitude from everyone saying that CurryHead shouldn't have applied in the first place! Of course s/he should have. Even just to try out and see if s/he could get in. In the future, even if s/he doesnt end up going, she can reapply to Oxford for a Masters and explain what happened, which would certainly be helpful.

Moreover, there are international scholarships available. Yes, they are limited, but CurryHead would never know if s/he could get one if s/he didn't apply in the first place. So, stop all the negativity

and @CurryHead, you need to look at scholarship offered by the Indian government, there can't be thousands of young Indians who have received offers to study at Oxford at an undergrad level, you must be pretty unique, along with a handful of other people, so they might be prepared to offer you something (most of the time in exchange for a commitment to work back in India for a number of years at least, but still),

I think you shouldn't miss this opportunity, you've done an amazing job to get in, and you shouldn't give up on your dream until you reach it!

And whatever people might say, it's always worth asking (your College, Oxford scholarships, your government), the worst that can happen is (as you said yourself) that you'll get rejected.

Hell, if all fails, set up a Crowdfunder account, at least for the costs of the first year of your studies and get friends, family, the internet to fund the degree of a talented person who just can't afford to go...

Rant over. Soz.

THANK YOU SO MUCH most helpful comment so far. I definitely will have a look, but so far I've only found the Reach and Simon and June Li scholarships, for which there are 5 seats combined. But I'll write to the college, see what can be done.

(For future convenience, he)
Original post by passé-présent
Reasonable suggestions, but I should point out that:

1) The fees of many EU universities for non-EU students are only slightly less than Oxford's (e.g. TCD's for natsci at c. 23,000 euros), and the OP might not speak Swedish (or French or German ...);
2) Oxford is not merely more prestigious than TCD or Karolinska, distinguished universities though these are, but also academically stronger, not least when it comes to the research opportunities the OP mentioned initially;
3) the OP also doesn't rule out breaking a piggybank (or two, or more) to go to Oxford, which indicates that applying wasn't entirely unrealistic;
4) the OP might also have applied to enjoy the application experience itself, or in order to gauge his own abilities, and it seems rather condescending and insensitive, not to say imperious, for others (who presumably don't have his problems to deal with) to say that he ought not have applied;
5) moreover, what if the OP discovers an oil deposit in his garden, or finds out that he's the late Queen Mother's long-lost ******* son or just, in some other way (a legacy, say), comes upon a little extra unexpected money? All that would be no use if he doesn't hold an offer first.

1. 'Slightly less' is a bit of an exaggeration, most EU/EEA countries are considerably cheaper than the UK. True, Ireland isn't - but it is still cheaper. Many universities in Europe, including the ones I mentioned in my post, offer English-taught undergraduate degrees.
2. I don't think research should be a consideration at undergraduate, the OP won't be doing any. I'm not sure about TCD, but certainly Karolinska is just as strong in the life sciences as Oxford.
4. I didn't say the OP shouldn't have applied, I agree that there's nothing wrong with taking a punt. I just think it was a bit foolish to apply without doing some serious research into scholarships / alternative funding streams first. Why have they left it so long?
Reply 137
Lol, 3 out of my unis are ones I can't afford.
Reply 138
Original post by epsilondelta
Oh no OP, I really hope you can get this sorted. You've done amazingly well to get an offer from Oxford, congratulations. I'm going to the student advice desk at college tomorrow anyway and I will ask them what is in place for people in your position

Thank you so much!! Could you tell me what they say in a PM? This thread just kinda derailed...
Reply 139
OK so this thread derailed into a weird freedom of speech battle, and I'm thankful to everyone for their opinion.
I understand what the people who ask me why I applied at all mean, but I suppose it was hope that drove me. Yes I chose Oxford because of the prestige, but solely to help me further down my career. Now unfortunately or fortunately, I've received an offer, and nothing can be done about that.
I have applied to a few US and Canadian unis, but in terms of my choice Oxford tops the list.
I'm going to write to my college, and Oxford, and maybe speak to a few alums as well, to see what my situation might be. I have a friend who has been accepted to Cambridge, and his father is an alum from there. He's facing a similar dilemma, but his father is going to ask around, and help me as well. Thank you EVERYONE for your opinion, it really did help.

P.S. critics aside, the racists can bugger off. You aren't needed on a forum where people express their anxieties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending