The Student Room Group

The 2017 Oxford Decisions Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Created an account just to post this:

Subject: CS & Philosophy
College: Lady Margaret Hall
Outcome: Accepted! Conditional on me sending them proof that I have the qualifications I said I do (I'm a mature student and not in school anymore so things are a bit different for me), so effectively unconditional since I have that proof!
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Got an "informal" (their word) email from LMH yesterday (Jan 11th) around midday. An hour or two later, the "official" letter popped through my door.
How do you feel?: Great! If anyone reading this will be starting at LMH or studying CS and/or Phil starting in 2017, feel free to send me a message; would be nice to virtually meet you.
Reply 301
Original post by joebobby
I am an international student who was rejected by a Oxford (post interview) but accepted by KCL/Durham/UCL.

1. Is it possible to reapply next year, while studying at another Uni (no gap year)?

2. Do U.K. schools have transfers or do you apply to start the whole degree again?

3. Is there anything different in reapplying as a uni student (like a higher standard)?

Mate, I strongly advise you not to ask these questions to anonymous strangers on the Internet. Go onto Oxford's website, look up your specific course, and they'll almost certainly have a number you can call where you can talk to an employee of the university whose job it is to answer these exact kind of questions.

My own UCAS application was rather unorthodox (I'm a mature student) and I had all kinds of questions before I applied. When I first started thinking about applying I spent hours on the phone or writing emails to people at various universities and they were all very happy to help me, and very helpful. (Although I imagine in Oxford's case that they're swamped with incoming communication right now, so maybe best to wait a little bit.)
Original post by gejumi
Mate, I strongly advise you not to ask these questions to anonymous strangers on the Internet. Go onto Oxford's website, look up your specific course, and they'll almost certainly have a number you can call where you can talk to an employee of the university whose job it is to answer these exact kind of questions.

My own UCAS application was rather unorthodox (I'm a mature student) and I had all kinds of questions before I applied. When I first started thinking about applying I spent hours on the phone or writing emails to people at various universities and they were all very happy to help me, and very helpful. (Although I imagine in Oxford's case that they're swamped with incoming communication right now, so maybe best to wait a little bit.)

Thank you for your help!
Original post by Sherlock1616
If I might ask, what ap classes have you taken prior to the Japanese and Statistics? This is another hopeful applicant form the U.S. I'm hoping to get in in 2019.

FWIW, I got an offer for Maths & Comp Sci. I took AP Comp Sci in 10th grade and AP Calc BC and AP Physics C (mech/e&m) in 11th grade. 5s on all of those and they satisfy my conditions. Only doing AP Econ this year. Also did AP USH and English (5 there too) but they really don't help with Maths & Comp Sci.
Reply 304
Original post by joebobby
I am an international student who was rejected by a Oxford (post interview) but accepted by KCL/Durham/UCL.

1. Is it possible to reapply next year, while studying at another Uni (no gap year)?

2. Do U.K. schools have transfers or do you apply to start the whole degree again?

3. Is there anything different in reapplying as a uni student (like a higher standard)?

1. Yes
2. Oxford does not accept transfers (idk about other UK unis), you'll have o restart the course
3. You could be given a harder interview if you're applying for the same subject as you're studying. But I don't know how likely it is
can someone explain to me why i was offered an open offer (from christ church for physics)?
Original post by astrophile
can someone explain to me why i was offered an open offer (from christ church for physics)?

It's explained by Brasenose somewhere, but basically, every year there are obviously people who drop out or don't meet their grades. When this happens and a place becomes vacant at a college, the college chooses an open applicant for the place. If there isn't a vacancy at another college, the college who underwrote your offer (christ church) have to give you one.
Thanks for answering. I understand that part but I was just wondering under what circumstances do colleges give open offers to candidates?
Original post by astrophile
Thanks for answering. I understand that part but I was just wondering under what circumstances do colleges give open offers to candidates?

Oh right. Sorry I'm not sure.
Original post by TheMole97
Do it! You won't regret it. Oxford's a wonderful place to study, and it's full of fantastic people. If you've gotten an offer, it's partly because the tutors felt you'd be well-suited to coming here, and would thrive with Oxford's style of teaching. Academically, very few places globally can compete, and its history and atmosphere are unique. Balliol's a lovely college, too!

Thank you for your advice, you are completely right about the significance of the tutors' decision. The main thing that puts me off is how demanding it will be academically, I'm not entirely sure that I'm prepared to make that commitment. Also, the sense of elitism is something I feel quite uncomfortable with.
Original post by 100umsgod
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps reject it, take a gap year, and go to Cambridge.

um I got an offer lol did you mean to link another reply?
Reply 311
Has anyone heard anything from Trinity yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 312
Subject: Biochemistry
College: Brasenose
Outcome: Accepted with a conditional offer (A*AA)!
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Owl! (Email :tongue:)
How do you feel?: Extremely excited! Except that I may not be able to go unless I get a scholarship as the international student fees is extremely high :frown:
Subject:PPE
College: Christ Church
Outcome: Offer
How did you find out? Email, don't think ChCh are sending letters
How do you feel?: Amazing, but mostly motivated to make the offer
Reply 314
Original post by valgal
Did anyone else get a rejection letter saying "It is my understanding that you are still under consideration by another college. If you have not heard from any other college by 15 January 2017, please feel free to contact me."?

Mine said "we understand that another college is likely to accept you. If you do not receive confirmation of this within the next few days, please feel free to contact me", but I actually got it after the offer from that other college, so I don't think it helps you. You should probably just wait. Good luck!
Reply 315
International applicant from singapore

Law
University College
Unconditional offer.

Anyone else headed to UC for law?
Reply 316
Law
Conditional (AAA)
Brasenose
Couldn't believe it - think it might take a while to sink in.......
Reply 317
Original post by googga
Mine said "we understand that another college is likely to accept you. If you do not receive confirmation of this within the next few days, please feel free to contact me", but I actually got it after the offer from that other college, so I don't think it helps you. You should probably just wait. Good luck!

Thanks. Congrats on your offer! I'm anxious, because I haven't heard anything else since then. In last year's thread and in a blog I saw, when Magdalen sent that letter, an offer followed from another college... But it's crickets over here since I got it.
Reply 318
International applicant from Egypt.

Subject: history and english
College: St. Hilda's
Outcome: Offer
How did you find out: Email
How do you feel: Happily shocked and very confused. I don't know if I'll be happy at Oxford/up for the challenge.
Oriel anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending