The Student Room Group

Is 2 A* 5A's and 2Bs at gcse good enough for oxbridge

I'm doing well at a levels and will probably get 2 A* and an A, are my gcses good enough they stress me out every night.
RT, you should mention what degree your looking at. Either way, pondering about the past ain't gonna get you nowhere - you can get into Oxbridge with those grades, I know enough peeps in Oxbridge with similar GCSEs in Medicine, Maths etc. :smile:
I know a guy got into Cambridge with not a single A* at GCSE under his belt, not even exceptional circumstances, he just did extremely well at A-Levels. It just shows how an amazing A level performance can make up for a poor GCSE performance
Reply 3
Original post by Johnnymaughan999
I'm doing well at a levels and will probably get 2 A* and an A, are my gcses good enough they stress me out every night.

The general consensus is that if one does well at GCSE, one will do well at A-Level. This might be the case for some, but not for all. Some do better at A-Level than at GCSE, as they work better under more pressure and stress. Just don't let anything get in your way: oxbridge is your goal, and there's no reason why you can't get there with those amazing predicted grades :smile:
Oxford is probably out of bounds because a typical applicant will have about 5A*s at GCSE at least. I do know a guy who got in with 3 A*s, but I think it's not worth the risk of getting rejected without interview. Cambridge really doesn't put a huge emphasis on GCSES, people often get in with no A*s.
Btw I want to apply for English lit
I think Oxford is a very risky choice unless you had some extenuating circumstances.

However, Cambridge you can get there! Just keep working hard :smile:

Also remember Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all so if you don't get there don't put yourself down because of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh, your A level grades are probably more important - just focus on those really. Your GCSEs may be a little below average, but there are certainly students who have got offers with lower GCSE results than you so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The scrapping of AS exams may mean that Oxbridge have to put a little more emphasis on GCSE grades as many students wont have more recent exam results, although most courses (if not all?) now have admissions tests (at both Oxford and Cambridge) so if you do well in these it should compensate for a slightly weaker GCSE performance.

As long as you're predicted at least the minimum entrance requirements at A level, do well in the admissions test and have a half-decent personal statement, you've got a decent chance of getting an interview, and from there on it really depends how well the interview goes.
Remember, you get five UCAS choices, so it's worth a risk at dedicating one of them to Oxbridge - with A*AA+ predictions you're highly likely to get offers from most other universities you're applying too.
I would advise you to apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford - Oxford tend to differentiate between people using GCSE grades, whereas Cambridge prefer to use UMS at AS level.
If it helps, I just received an offer at Cambridge with 4 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Johnnymaughan999

If you got A*A*A you could apply to Oxford or Cambridge for English. Your chances of getting into Cambridge would be higher if your AS UMS is 90%+. If lower than that, I'd wait till you get your A2s, then apply. With A*A*A you'd have a shot at both of them (but again, if your UMS is 90%+ then apply to Cambridge )

People get in with your grades at both for English.

Quick Reply

Latest