The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Group workshop interview applicant day thingy???

I've finally got some sort of reply from Essex and it's for an interview on the 15th of feb ;_; lol i live in manchester too haha

Just wondering if anyone else is gonna go and what to expect?? cos im actually ******** myself since im gonna spend so much money to get there....and will still be like an hour late to it haha

I applied for Eng Lang and TESOL plus study abroad...... im really anxious ;_; any tips?
Look over your application again. Why this course, why this uni, what are your careers plans, what skills and experience do you have that will help?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by beansprout23
I've finally got some sort of reply from Essex and it's for an interview on the 15th of feb ;_; lol i live in manchester too haha

Just wondering if anyone else is gonna go and what to expect?? cos im actually ******** myself since im gonna spend so much money to get there....and will still be like an hour late to it haha

I applied for Eng Lang and TESOL plus study abroad...... im really anxious ;_; any tips?

Sameee I got an interview form them on the 15th too for Spanish and modern languages, but I don't really know how/what this 'group workshop interview' will consist of.
Also I have no idea what to wear :s
Hi folks,

I'm a current student at the University of Essex and I would like to draw your attention to a recent blog about what to expect from an applicant day and interview: https://iamessex.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/how-to-prepare-for-a-university-interview-and-what-to-expect/

In terms of what to wear: try to go with whatever you feel comfortable in - at the end of the day it is you that the interviewer is interested in, not your dress sense. Of course having said that things like ripped jeans, track suit bottoms may not be entirely appropriate.

It is worth contacting the applicant day office at [email protected] if you know that you are going to be late or telephone 01206 873272. Additionally it may be worth noting that at Essex you'll be able to claim back your travel expenses up to the value of £100 if you provide a train ticket within 28 days of the event

Hope this helps
Original post by CampusCat
Hi folks,

I'm a current student at the University of Essex and I would like to draw your attention to a recent blog about what to expect from an applicant day and interview: https://iamessex.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/how-to-prepare-for-a-university-interview-and-what-to-expect/

In terms of what to wear: try to go with whatever you feel comfortable in - at the end of the day it is you that the interviewer is interested in, not your dress sense. Of course having said that things like ripped jeans, track suit bottoms may not be entirely appropriate.

It is worth contacting the applicant day office at [email protected] if you know that you are going to be late or telephone 01206 873272. Additionally it may be worth noting that at Essex you'll be able to claim back your travel expenses up to the value of £100 if you provide a train ticket within 28 days of the event

Hope this helps

Hi, who would i need to provide my ticket to? Im curious since it did cost me a lot to buy...for two people :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anivia
Sameee I got an interview form them on the 15th too for Spanish and modern languages, but I don't really know how/what this 'group workshop interview' will consist of.
Also I have no idea what to wear :s

Im stumped on what to wear too :') i hope the day goes well for you! It's my first interview for anything so im like :"))))))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, who would i need to provide my ticket to? Im curious since it did cost me a lot to buy...for two people :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Yes, you will need to provide the ticket which you can give to us on the day or you can post it to the university after the event if it has already passed or if you still require it to get home (some people have more than one ticket as part of their journey so are able to provide some sort of evidence).

Basically you need to make sure that whatever ticket you give to university has on the price of the entire journey and the start and end points of your journey. It also needs to be accompanied with a form which can be found here: https://www.essex.ac.uk/study/ug/applicant-days.aspx

Hope this helps and hope the interview has gone/ will go well for you
:smile:

Hi beansprout23 or to anyone who had Spanish studies and modern languages interview!

How was your interview? I hope it went well and hopefully you will get a place! I am going to have my interview on the 11th of March for Spanish Studies and Modern Languages too. But I am not sure what the questions will be like?! Can you please share your experience and the questions? :smile: thank you!
Hi beansprout23 or to anyone who had an interview for Spanish and Modern Languages, How was your interview? I hope it went well and hopefully you will get a place! I am going to have my interview on the 11th of March for Spanish Studies and Modern Languages too. But I am not sure what the questions will be like?! Can you please share your experience and the questions? 🙂 thank you!
Original post by Spinachrisotto1
Hi beansprout23 or to anyone who had an interview for Spanish and Modern Languages, How was your interview? I hope it went well and hopefully you will get a place! I am going to have my interview on the 11th of March for Spanish Studies and Modern Languages too. But I am not sure what the questions will be like?! Can you please share your experience and the questions? 🙂 thank you!

Heey! Mine wasn't for spanish but i literally got an offer from essex today! :biggrin:

It wasnt a formal interview so there's no need to be as freaked out as i was when i made this post xD the questions were designed to try and get to know the applicant, so things like 'why essex?', 'why this course?', 'what do you want from this course?', stuff like that! :biggrin: we also did a 'speed dating' thing where we got to ask current students pretty much anything (and oh my, THEY WERE SO HELPFUL!!) The day was really nice, despite it being cloudy lol, and the whole 'interview' thing took place in mini groups and we also got to have a short taster lesson, which was really interesting! :3

Im not sure if that's the same layout for Spanish and Modern Languages but i think it's under the same department so....haha...anyways i hope this sorta helped you :3
Reply 10

Hey!

I had my interview for Spanish and modern languages. It was actually really calm. I tell you how the day went (as it was an applicant open day too). Upon arrival got signed in and then there was a general talk about 'Coming to Essex etc..' then they separated us into groups based on subjects. Subject ambassadors then took us to the language department where we had lunch and they gave another general talk but this time for languages.

After that we were split again but via language as the interviews were starting. Parents were outside and were given their own quiz to do XD. There were about 8 of us Spanish/Portuguese applicants in the rooms. The two lectures then split us into two groups and just were asking us questions, 'why choose Essex', 'Why Spanish here' etc... So it was cool beans!!

I would recommend that you ask questions that will show you are interested in the course like, 'what can you do on your year abroad' ,ask about the ability to learn upto 3 languages . Ask about how you can embed your area of interest into the degree, e.g I want to do Translation and they said I could transfer to the MLang if I wanted to focus on that.

The whole group interview took around half an hour, and I received an offer within a week (BBB).

Hope this helps and glhf :smile:
Original post by anivia
Hey!

I had my interview for Spanish and modern languages. It was actually really calm. I tell you how the day went (as it was an applicant open day too). Upon arrival got signed in and then there was a general talk about 'Coming to Essex etc..' then they separated us into groups based on subjects. Subject ambassadors then took us to the language department where we had lunch and they gave another general talk but this time for languages.

After that we were split again but via language as the interviews were starting. Parents were outside and were given their own quiz to do XD. There were about 8 of us Spanish/Portuguese applicants in the rooms. The two lectures then split us into two groups and just were asking us questions, 'why choose Essex', 'Why Spanish here' etc... So it was cool beans!!

I would recommend that you ask questions that will show you are interested in the course like, 'what can you do on your year abroad' ,ask about the ability to learn upto 3 languages . Ask about how you can embed your area of interest into the degree, e.g I want to do Translation and they said I could transfer to the MLang if I wanted to focus on that.

The whole group interview took around half an hour, and I received an offer within a week (BBB).

Hope this helps and glhf :smile:

Thank you so much for replying Anvia! I am applying for Spanish and Modern Languages too! Your reply is really helpful, as I was getting so worried about how hard the questions were but from what you said it sounds like common questions! how many questions did they ask you and was there a question anything political or related to history of spain specifically? Okay, sure thanks for the advice, so helpful! Ill do more research about essex and the course haha! Congratulations, that's amazing!! 🍾🍾😀😀
Heey! Mine wasn't for spanish but i literally got an offer from essex today! :biggrin:

It wasnt a formal interview so there's no need to be as freaked out as i was when i made this post xD the questions were designed to try and get to know the applicant, so things like 'why essex?', 'why this course?', 'what do you want from this course?', stuff like that! :biggrin: we also did a 'speed dating' thing where we got to ask current students pretty much anything (and oh my, THEY WERE SO HELPFUL!!) The day was really nice, despite it being cloudy lol, and the whole 'interview' thing took place in mini groups and we also got to have a short taster lesson, which was really interesting! :3

Im not sure if that's the same layout for Spanish and Modern Languages but i think it's under the same department so....haha...anyways i hope this sorta helped you :3

Hey, that's nice well done! What did you apply for? :smile: haha I know beforehand is always scary but afterwards it's actually different expectations! thanks for replying :smile:
Hey, that's nice well done! What did you apply for? :smile: haha I know beforehand is always scary but afterwards it's actually different expectations! thanks for replying :smile:

TEFL! :biggrin: Teaching English as a Foreign Language ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending