The Student Room Group

Help with question in Edexcel M1 textbook

Hello, I am stuck Exercise 3I, question 6 in the Edexcel M1 textbook and even though I have the answer on the solution bank I still do not understand how they got to the answer. Could someone please explain it to me?

I hope that everyone is having a good weekend :smile:

help.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello I have moved this to maths for you.

Which part of the solution do you not understand? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
Hello I have moved this to maths for you.

Which part of the solution do you not understand? :smile:

Thanks for moving the thread! I'm having trouble with pretty much all of part A - the only thing I understand is why the sum of the forces is equal to 0. :s-smilie:
Original post by Bunnell
Thanks for moving the thread! I'm having trouble with pretty much all of part A - the only thing I understand is why the sum of the forces is equal to 0. :s-smilie:

Friction is opposing the movement of the particle up the plane so we know that it's acting down the plane. We can resolve this to be FsinαF \sin \alpha acting downwards. Note that coefficient of friction is 0.5 and we also know that F=μRF= \mu R so Fsinθ=0.5RsinαF \sin \theta = 0.5R\sin \alpha. When you resolve vertically, the only other forces to consider are the reaction force and the weight of the particle.

You now have the algebraic equation with unknown R that's shown in the MS and can go on to solve it.
Reply 4
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Friction is opposing the movement of the particle up the plane so we know that it's acting down the plane. We can resolve this to be FsinαF \sin \alpha acting downwards. Note that coefficient of friction is 0.5 and we also know that F=μRF= \mu R so Fsinθ=0.5RsinαF \sin \theta = 0.5R\sin \alpha. When you resolve vertically, the only other forces to consider are the reaction force and the weight of the particle.

You now have the algebraic equation with unknown R that's shown in the MS and can go on to solve it.

oh my gosh thanks i finally got it! you're a star :h:

Quick Reply

Latest