The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Infested
I think one of the big reasons why an Oxbridge rejection is always so disappointing is due to the effort put in. Think about it this way: if all you had to do was indicate your choice on UCAS, a rejection probably wouldn't affect you that much. Take that as a sign that the difference between Oxbridge and Durham, Edinburgh etc. isn't that pronounced in practice, but only appears so due to hype and reputation. Just focus on getting good grades and doing well wherever you go :smile:

Good advice. Personally I am not sure why Oxbridge have to make it such an emotional roller coaster. Take it from me, at Doxbridge (where I am) you won't find it much easier if you go there. The workload is immense. After one semester I haven't yet "cracked it" in terms of managing my time. Enjoyable though!
Original post by Student1256
Personal experience and saw quite a few people with 5+ A's at AS not pooled.

I get that you're upset about not getting an offer, but saying that some colleges don't care about pooling because they didn't pool you is a bit of an overstatement. The autopooling criteria is 93ums+ average (and a lot of AS levels dont have ums anymore) not based on the amount of A's achieved.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Already planning what college to apply to next year tbh :lol: either Christs, Kings, or Sidney Sussex.

I've not even finished the application rollercoaster yet!

Should probably have more faith in myself but Monday isn't gonna be great I can tell

I know the perfect college for you.

Medwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liziepie
I get that you're upset about not getting an offer, but saying that some colleges don't care about pooling because they didn't pool you is a bit of an overstatement. The autopooling criteria is 93ums+ average (and a lot of AS levels dont have ums anymore) not based on the amount of A's achieved.

I got AAB at AS and have been pooled and fished for reinterview. there's more to Cambridge then grades tbh
Original post by jneill
I know the perfect college for you.

Medwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they decide not to have me though then I can't reapply to the place that rejected me. :lol: I wanna go but if they don't want me I can't go, that's what I'm always told. Reapplying is fine but just don't reapply to the same college.
Original post by liziepie

I never said they don't care about pooling and I certainly didn't say it was because they didn't pool me. I'm not even upset anymore. The pooling criteria isn't solely 93 UMS and that's an imperfect system as most international A levels students don't even have UMS. The problem with applying to an oversubscribed college is you run the risk of getting rejected and not being put in the pool, that's all I said. Nothing about the college not caring lol
All colleges websites I've been on say they don't give offers based on STEP for Natsci and I think it would be quite a shock to see that

Yeah tbh it's unlikely but it's not completely out of the question. For example, my friend said she was sitting STEP for CompSci and has an offer based on STEP 2 and 3 even though they usually only hand out STEP 1 offers. The colleges can hand out any offer they want basically.
Original post by thebelljar98
I know just how you feel... I feel the same about my interviews, particularly the general one. I can't stop thinking that if I just relaxed a little and spoke with the knowledge and passion I would usually speak with I would have had a much better chance. It's just the thought that I'll never be an undergraduate at Oxbridge... which college did you apply to? I'm sure you will end up loving whichever uni you choose, it is just so hard at the moment to think of anything but Cambridge. :frown:

Corpus Christi - what about you? And yeah, like I know this isn't the end of the world and I'll be okay but right now the decision is still so fresh in my head and the last few days have felt like a weird dream that I haven't woken up from yet. I generally tend to have dreams about awful things happening which isn't fun but then I wake up in the morning, panic for a minute and then realise none of what I just went through was actually real and it's such a relief. The morning after Decision Day, I woke up and for a minute I thought it had just been another one of my "worst-case scenario" dreams and I was so relieved until I realised it was very, very real. Then I felt truly horrible. Have you found that you feel worse than you expected? I honestly thought I wouldn't feel too bad because I was aware of the realistic statistics of getting in but wow, it feels like my whole world has turned upside down and I'm taking it pretty badly even though I put on a brave face around other people. I think it's a mixture of being a perfectionist and never having been rejected from anything before.
Original post by neyscar
Corpus Christi - what about you? And yeah, like I know this isn't the end of the world and I'll be okay but right now the decision is still so fresh in my head and the last few days have felt like a weird dream that I haven't woken up from yet. I generally tend to have dreams about awful things happening which isn't fun but then I wake up in the morning, panic for a minute and then realise none of what I just went through was actually real and it's such a relief. The morning after Decision Day, I woke up and for a minute I thought it had just been another one of my "worst-case scenario" dreams and I was so relieved until I realised it was very, very real. Then I felt truly horrible. Have you found that you feel worse than you expected? I honestly thought I wouldn't feel too bad because I was aware of the realistic statistics of getting in but wow, it feels like my whole world has turned upside down and I'm taking it pretty badly even though I put on a brave face around other people. I think it's a mixture of being a perfectionist and never having been rejected from anything before.

Ahh I almost went for Corpus but applied to Trinity in the end! Oh my god I am the exact same... I had two awful dreams about being rejected a few weeks before my actual rejection. They were so haunting... and now they are true. It is so difficult, I don't want to tell anyone I've been rejected as so many people had high hopes for me. Yes I completely understand where you are coming from with the perfectionist and never been rejected from anything before. It's the first time I've never been good enough "academically" and wow, it really does sting.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
If they decide not to have me though then I can't reapply to the place that rejected me.

Not happening. Nah! :noway:

Right, so you've gone from being excited and positive about being pooled to Medwards, to (naturally) having doubts about yourself and your possible performance on Monday. Now swing it back to your first thoughts. :smile:

You know it's a good match for you and so does the DoS/AT :smile:

Trust in yourself and your abilities. You've got this.
Original post by jneill
Not happening. Nah! :noway:

Right, so you've gone from being excited and positive about being pooled to Medwards, to (naturally) having doubts about yourself and your possible performance on Monday. Now swing it back to your first thoughts. :smile:

You know it's a good match for you and so does the DoS/AT :smile:

Trust in yourself and your abilities. You've got this.

Thank you! I'm naturally self-critical and doubtful. I doubt myself all of the time. :redface: I'm excited and doubtful and it's like those night-before nerves since I'm going away tomorrow so, obviously, the game will be on once I board that mainline train. :tongue: Really needed the pep talk so thanks Jneill :hugs:
Has anyone else had a reduced offer from Jesus College? I thought I did badly in my first interview so wasn't expecting an offer at all.
In the end I did get an offer and when I got my conditions it turns out it's reduced from A*A*A to A*AA which according to my tutors is unheard of. So I was wondering if maybe it's just a Jesus Bio NatSci applicant thing or if I apparently did exceptionally well without knowing it?
The problem with the pooling system is that some colleges don't bother pooling you and you end up not even getting a chance at another college. It happened to me this year.

In 2016 the only colleges that had none of their applicants fished* were:
Homerton
Hughes Hall
Lucy Cav
Medwards
St Eddies
Wolfson

*and that's NOT to say they didn't put anyone in the pool. Just that nobody was fished.

Trinity Hall had 24 applicants fished from them, so they must have pooled approx 100.
Original post by jneill
Homerton
Hughes Hall
Lucy Cav
Medwards
St Eddies
Wolfson

*and that's NOT to say they didn't put anyone in the pool. Just that nobody was fished.

Trinity Hall had 24 applicants fished from them, so they must have pooled approx 100.

Which colleges fished the fewest number of candidates though... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Homerton
Hughes Hall
Lucy Cav
Medwards
St Eddies
Wolfson

I don't think they even invite that many for interview
I never said they don't care about pooling and I certainly didn't say it was because they didn't pool me. I'm not even upset anymore. The pooling criteria isn't solely 93 UMS and that's an imperfect system as most international A levels students don't even have UMS. The problem with applying to an oversubscribed college is you run the risk of getting rejected and not being put in the pool, that's all I said. Nothing about the college not caring lol

Surely the oversubscribed colleges are the ones where most of the people who get pooled come from?
Original post by vinnie99
Which colleges fished the fewest number of candidates though... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a completely different question though. In 2016 Emma didn't fish anyone from the pool (they provided 66 fishes though), same for King's (37 fishes), Clare fished 1 (66 fishes).
I don't think they even invite that many for interview

wut? This is for the entire college, not a specific course.
Original post by jneill
wut? This is for the entire college, not a specific course.

In that case you're probably right
Original post by jneill
That's a completely different question though. In 2016 Emma didn't fish anyone from the pool (they provided 66 fishes though), same for King's (37 fishes), Clare fished 1 (66 fishes).

One of the autopool criterias is 3 A*'s, right? So does that also mean autoinvite for interview? as you'd have to have gotten to interview stage at least to be pooled

Latest

Trending

Trending