The Student Room Group

How to deal with getting a bad test result in your favourite subject

Did my chemistry mock during the week, checked the mark scheme online (as it was a past paper) and I got a high D/low C (there were a few extra questions added in that i think will increase my grade). My lowest test result in chemistry before is 93%, but I cant help but feel disappointed, even though most of the other students in my year failed.
Original post by musicchem
Did my chemistry mock during the week, checked the mark scheme online (as it was a past paper) and I got a high D/low C (there were a few extra questions added in that i think will increase my grade). My lowest test result in chemistry before is 93%, but I cant help but feel disappointed, even though most of the other students in my year failed.

Try not to dwell on it too much, everyone gets lower grades than usual sometimes :yes:

Also, take the opportunity to learn from the mistakes you made, that's what mocks are for after all! I know it can be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world by any means :smile:
Reply 2
Work harder. Simple as that sadly.

Chemistry is well known to be one of the hardest A levels and so you getting a low grade in one test is not uncommon. It may be a good thing in a way, the mock is meant to show you what the real exam could have been like if you had carried on the same way that you were - that may have been the outcome. Im sure you are already working hard and so now you need to look at the strategy you are taking, are you doing enough past papers? Do you fully understand all the content? Take this as a motive to work even harder over the next few months and achieve the grade you really want in the real exams. It's better you receive a C now, work hard and get the grade you want in the summer! Best of luck with everything :biggrin:
Reply 4
Use it to make you work harder- a bad test result after several good tests often means you have become complacent. Use this as a reminder that you need to keep working to get the good grades.

Also I always write in a note book all the questions I get wrong (in tests, in class and at home) and the mark scheme answers so I never get that type of question wrong again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you in year 12? If you are, then I wouldn't worry too much about it - lots of people don't do very well in their year 12 mocks because they're still not fully used to the A-level style of learning and revising compared to GCSEs. I personally know a number of people who got Us in their year 12 chem mock and then got As in the summer. You've still got many months ahead of you, so use your time wisely! Make sure you really understand all the scientific concepts, and that will help you to answer questions in a stronger manner.

Reference -- I got a U in my first set of chemistry tests (new spec) and ended up with an A at AS. Now I'm in A2.

If most people failed then I wouldn't worry too much. You can use this as a revision plan and identify areas you struggled with. I have been the same in maths and whilst yes you can sit there and feel awful about it and beat yourself up but it's not as simple as "I did bad therefore I am bad at the subject". You have a weak area and that's okay. I understand how you feel though it can be disheartening but these things happen.
Reply 8
Original post by leopard923
Chemistry is well known to be one of the hardest A levels and so you getting a low grade in one test is not uncommon. It may be a good thing in a way, the mock is meant to show you what the real exam could have been like if you had carried on the same way that you were - that may have been the outcome. Im sure you are already working hard and so now you need to look at the strategy you are taking, are you doing enough past papers? Do you fully understand all the content? Take this as a motive to work even harder over the next few months and achieve the grade you really want in the real exams. It's better you receive a C now, work hard and get the grade you want in the summer! Best of luck with everything :biggrin:

Yeah I understand it all, I think it was just time management as we did a full paper + 5 extra questions in the time allocated for just a full paper, thank you😊😊
Reply 9
Original post by Ze Witcher
Reference -- I got a U in my first set of chemistry tests (new spec) and ended up with an A at AS. Now I'm in A2.

Wow! Well done in your AS😊
Reply 10
Original post by emilysmith268
Are you in year 12? If you are, then I wouldn't worry too much about it - lots of people don't do very well in their year 12 mocks because they're still not fully used to the A-level style of learning and revising compared to GCSEs. I personally know a number of people who got Us in their year 12 chem mock and then got As in the summer. You've still got many months ahead of you, so use your time wisely! Make sure you really understand all the scientific concepts, and that will help you to answer questions in a stronger manner.

Yeah I am, thank you!
Yeah I understand it all, I think it was just time management as we did a full paper + 5 extra questions in the time allocated for just a full paper, thank you😊😊

Ahh well then that seems unfair ! You definitely shouldn't feel disappointed then :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ze Witcher

Well done :smile: how'd you do it?!
Make sure you know exactly where you went wrong and improve! It can be a bitter pill to swallow but work hard and your grades will go up :smile: make sure you look through the style of questions asked by exam papers
Original post by sulaimanali
Well done :smile: how'd you do it?!

I made sure I understood almost everything in the specification, and then I spammed the past papers, making sure I got my exam technique right. Anything I did wrong, I made a note off and kept testing myself on the weak areas I kept forgetting about. Chemistry isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be :smile:. Although I'm finding A2 organic relatively hard -- it'll just take time to improve.
Reply 15
Just focus on the real exam, last year a couple of us held a ~95% average the entire year but when the mock came it was 50-60% for us and lowest being something like 8%, although the actual exam came out much better and we all got the grades we deserved. Don't let a mock put you down.
It hurts but you'll get over it. I got a C in my politics mock recently, after revising so hard. It was timing and that's why it was frustrating. But just know it doesn't matter, and give the subject a little more of your time.

Quick Reply

Latest