The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5300
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Hey don't give up hope yet, Girton may have agreed to let Selwyn take you! I hope it works out for you 😊

I doubt it but oh well, I knew my interviews hadn't gone well. Thanks, I hope you get an offer!
Is it standard practice for pool interview offers to be higher than the typical offer? I've seen a few inflated ones now, and it makes me nervous because if I get a Cambridge offer and I miss it, it's questionable whether I can even afford to go to Durham without their bursary. :frown::redface:
Is it standard practice for pool interview offers to be higher than the typical offer? I've seen a few inflated ones now, and it makes me nervous because if I get a Cambridge offer and I miss it, it's questionable whether I can even afford to go to Durham without their bursary. :frown::redface:

My son was at Durham. It's an incredibly cheap place to live, though I suppose when you're living in, in first year, you're stuck with paying for college accommodation.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Had a lovely little chat with a certain Admissions Tutor

A*A*A with an A* in History :biggrin: OFFER!

Lurking parent here. I've followed your story over the last few days and I'm incredibly pleased for you. Well done. A fantastic result.

Just popped back in to check the news......
I really don't want to say this but........

What did I tell you? :tongue:

Spoiler

Please submit a detailed report of the event after you stopped shaking. :biggrin:

Congratulations, from bottom of my heart.
I'm so, so proud of you. :smile:

Yay! Congratulations!!

Posted from TSR Mob
Original post by Bingobanjo
My son was at Durham. It's an incredibly cheap place to live, though I suppose when you're living in, in first year, you're stuck with paying for college accommodation.

Yeah that's the problem. Especially because almost all of the colleges are catered for the first year, the cost is pretty high initially. I'm going to feel dreadful asking my parents to pick up all the slack that my student loan won't cover 😕 They already think uni will cost the earth because no one in the family has ever been. I just wish I could borrow what I need and pay back more rather than taking from them.

Offer conditions can varies slightly candidate to candidate often even for a same course at same college. Nothing unusual.
It's known sometimes you get offer that's higher than standard even you were not pooled.
It's usually because they want some extra assurance that you're up too their expected standard but your application profile does not quite give them 100% confidence. If a candidate seems to have slight weakness in a certain area, they sometimes give them more demanding offer condition in the relevant subject to make sure he/she is good enough.

Wooo congrats!! I'm so glad for you :smile:
Original post by vincrows
Offer conditions can varies slightly candidate to candidate often even for a same course at same college. Nothing unusual.
It's known sometimes you get offer that's higher than standard even you were not pooled.
It's usually because they want some extra assurance that you're up too their expected standard but your application profile does not quite give them 100% confidence. If a candidate seems to have slight weakness in a certain area, they sometimes give them more demanding offer condition in the relevant subject to make sure he/she is good enough.

Ahhh I'm seriously hoping that if I do happen to get an offer, it's the standard one. I'm pretty confident I can get 1 A*, and I'd like to say I can definitely get more than that. I'll certainly be aiming for higher, but being in a situation where I HAVE to get more than one is a bit of a gamble for me, because if I miss the offer I've lost the chance of Durham giving me £5,500 a year to study with them, and that money would be a massive help to me.

I guess we shall see. It would still be my firm choice either way, but I'd love to have the leisure of aiming higher rather than extra pressure I never expected from a Law offer. I guess we shall see. Thank you!

Wow you've certainly led us all along on a long ride from the admissions assessments, pre-interview invitation nerves and post-interview worry... :P Congratulations!!! How did this go about? They approached you right after the interview?

I feel like dancing a jig, as hope is not lost (well, for me it's lost, but I know good things can happen). Congrats!! :smile:
Ahhh I'm seriously hoping that if I do happen to get an offer, it's the standard one. I'm pretty confident I can get 1 A*, and I'd like to say I can definitely get more than that. I'll certainly be aiming for higher, but being in a situation where I HAVE to get more than one is a bit of a gamble for me, because if I miss the offer I've lost the chance of Durham giving me £5,500 a year to study with them, and that money would be a massive help to me.

I guess we shall see. It would still be my firm choice either way, but I'd love to have the leisure of aiming higher rather than extra pressure I never expected from a Law offer. I guess we shall see. Thank you!

I do understand your feeling and fee for you.
But they are also 'gambling' in which candidates to choose so they want to make sure they have made a right decision, it's not just for themselves but for the candidate as well. Because if they take up someone who isn't quite up to their standard, it's the student who suffer most, not the university.

Good luck.
Hope you get what you're hoping for. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by eg09
Got rejected from Girton in the pool. Guess that means Selwyn won't want me either :/ (I had interviews at both at the weekend)

Sorry to hear. :frown:
Reply 5314
Original post by fablereader
Sorry to hear. :frown:

Thank you. I don't really know what to do now, I don't even like my second choice Warwick, might consider taking a year out now but the whole process has just made me feel crap so not sure if I would want to go through it again.
Original post by vincrows
I do understand your feeling and fee for you.
But they are also 'gambling' in which candidates to choose so they want to make sure they have made a right decision, it's not just for themselves but for the candidate as well. Because if they take up someone who isn't quite up to their standard, it's the student who suffer most, not the university.

You're right of course, I totally get why they do it. I just low-key hope they don't decide to raise any offer they might decide to give me, because then the risk of me having to go to an insurance having lost free money is lower, and that just makes me feel a lot safer.

It's a bit silly, because it's not as if I'm not capable, I know that I have it in me to meet a higher offer, it's just the idea of taking a lot of money from my parents to support me in the event I screw up makes me nervous, and I'd be a lot happier if the risk was the one I was expecting to take rather than a bigger one haha!

Thank you for answering my question anyway! 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by eg09
Thank you. I don't really know what to do now, I don't even like my second choice Warwick, might consider taking a year out now but the whole process has just made me feel crap so not sure if I would want to go through it again.

If you don't like any of your unis or reapplying, I'd consider taking a while to think it over, maybe visit your other choices and see if you like them.

Yesssss!

I was worried that the curse of frequent TSR posters might have been about to strike, but seriously delighted that you got it. These pool offers are pretty tough, so best of luck with that ;-)
Reply 5318
Original post by fablereader
If you don't like any of your unis or reapplying, I'd consider taking a while to think it over, maybe visit your other choices and see if you like them.

It's just such a step down from Cambridge to my other options. Even if i like them as unis they aren't anywhere near as good academically.

WELL DONEEEEEEE :clap2:that's great news!

Ahh well, looks like it's not going to be today. No post, and no email. Best get set for another day of waiting tomorrow.
Bit ridiculous really, it's only been 4 days, but it feels like forever 😥

It would have been kinder to give you a concrete date! They said to me today that I might find out today, I might find out tomorrow, but definitely by Friday because UCAS is updated by then so hopefully that applies to you too :h: no news isn't bad news remember!

On another note my interview today was super interesting but I have no idea how it went

Latest

Trending

Trending