The Student Room Group

A Terrible Teacher

Hi everyone,

Bit of an odd one but anyway. I hate my teacher.

Not once have i ever had a problem with a teacher. Through school I never received one detention, was never late, suspended or isolated. I was a typical 'good student' and came out with 3 Bs, 3 As and 3A*s.

I am still the same now and got 3 As in my mocks last month at AS Level, but my Politics teacher is a nightmare - what can I do?

The whole class tread on egg shells around him in order to not provoke him, in truth were all scared of him. He, and I quote 'dishes out disciplinary procedures like scraps of paper'. He is obnoxious and definitely needs some lessons in decorum, as today he tried to show me up for accidentally opening a door too hard (as they are all broke in the A Level building), in a sarcastic and condescending way

I'd rather not file a formal complaint as I feel that would be too serious and ineffective at solving the issue, as he completely changes when he is being observed. I asked my tutor not to flag up the concern on my file as he can read it. So i'm stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, George
Reply 1
Original post by wellsy2000
Hi everyone,

Not once have i ever had a problem with a teacher. Through school I never received one detention, was never late, suspended or isolated. I was a typical 'good student' and came out with 3 Bs, 3 As and 3A*s.

I am still the same now and got 3 As in my mocks last month at AS Level, but my Politics teacher is a nightmare - what can I do?

The whole class tread on egg shells around him in order to not provoke him, in truth were all scared of him. He, and I quote 'dishes out disciplinary procedures like scraps of paper'. He is obnoxious and definitely needs some lessons in decorum, as today he tried to show me up for accidentally opening a door too hard (as they are all broke in the A Level building), in a sarcastic and condescending way

I'd rather not file a formal complaint as I feel that would be too serious and ineffective at solving the issue, as he completely changes when he is being observed. I asked my tutor not to flag up the concern on my file as he can read it. So i'm stumped.

Thanks, George

Ask for it to be brought it anonymously if it's stressing you out. If you can deal with it, then deal with it. He might be a good teacher.
Original post by wellsy2000
Hi everyone,

Thanks, George

I swear, for a moment, I thought you were describing my chemistry teacher. I was (and still am) dead afraid of her. So much so that I couldn't listen to the lesson properly or ask questions as I feared she would shut me down and humiliate me.

What I did was try to get more involved; ask more questions in and out of lessons, do some outside reading and ask questions on those materials to show that I am interested and that I can be taught.
I think if you try to show that you respect him, he might start showing his respect towards you.
Reply 3
Original post by silver001
I swear, for a moment, I thought you were describing my chemistry teacher. I was (and still am) dead afraid of her. So much so that I couldn't listen to the lesson properly or ask questions as I feared she would shut me down and humiliate me.

What I did was try to get more involved; ask more questions in and out of lessons, do some outside reading and ask questions on those materials to show that I am interested and that I can be taught.
I think if you try to show that you respect him, he might start showing his respect towards you.

Thanks for your reply. I am incredibly interested in his subject, so am constantly trying to answer questions and be actively involved in discussions. We are always respectful and I cannot understand his lack of decorum.
Remember that he chose to go into teaching at some point so he must have some interest in the student mind because the pay is not brilliant at all!

I know you're struggling with him (and this guy sounds sooo much like my old Chemistry teacher) but as my teacher boyfriend tells me all the time he's put under so much pressure from above to get you guys certain grades and it is so irritating when students don't try in return.

On the other hand, he could just be a bit trigger happy.

I think you should try and show him respect and interest and if it doesn't change, you could put in that anonymous complaint. After all, your grade comes first.
Reply 5
I'm sorry to say, but in the end those teachers are going to be the one predicting your grades, so you'll have to be as nice as possible to them. Perhaps even sleep your way to great predicted grades. I did, and now I'm reading Mathematics at Cambridge Uni.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest