The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This might work for rich students who go to university just for the partying and its reputation, and who don't need to make use of their degree after they graduate (because they're rich, they never have to get a job). All they want is the degree as a status symbol, to separate further themselves from other people below them, which they will just frame and hang in their trophy room as something to brag about.
Original post by randj
Another recent story, it turns out one of Trumps advisers has been done for plagiarism. She did her PhD like 20 years ago when her chances of being caught were low, when the software to identify this had not been invented. But now that it exists, reporters are running the old public dissertations of famous people, to try and shame them, through the program. Could be embarrassing for lots of people, like how drug testing gets better every year

German politicians have gone over like skittles with doctorates submitted in the '80s.
Reply 42
Original post by CarysJSLewis
As I said to someone else earlier, are you speaking for every single degree on offer at every single university based on your experience alone?

No I'm generalising.

But you still have to pass exams so your knowledge should be fine, using these things for things like coursework shouldn't have an impact.
Original post by randj
Another recent story, it turns out one of Trumps advisers has been done for plagiarism. She did her PhD like 20 years ago when her chances of being caught were low, when the software to identify this had not been invented. But now that it exists, reporters are running the old public dissertations of famous people, to try and shame them, through the program. Could be embarrassing for lots of people, like how drug testing gets better every year

It's not worth it.

Sooner or later the cheaters will be caught, & will be more damaging to them when they go up the career ladder only to be sacked when the tech catches up with their cheating back in '08.

The ones i feel sorry for are the poor foreign students, where their parents have cashed in pensions and raided life savings to get them to uni. The students english makes it near impossible for them to pass, but they can't fail so they resort to these exam/essay factories
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CarysJSLewis
This is the most stupid thing i've seen today. What are these people going to do when they leave university and get a job in that field? They most likely haven't gone to lectures, haven't done any of their own work, and have basically got into debt for a degree which they know nothing about. Doesn't seem like they get the last laugh here.

lots of people don't go into jobs in their field, they go into generic roles or business or move back to a country where the standards are lower - they may know a decent amount as well if they're international, they just can't write sufficiently well to express it, I knew a couple of international students at uni and they had good ideas and worked hard but when you read their work you could see their less than perfect English was driving their marks way down

Original post by shawtyb
well surely the profs would be able to distinguish the difference between your quality of work and that of one of these writers and would be able to see the dramatic change in 'your' work

a lot of places do blind marking (so the professors have never read your work labelled with your name)

I never even thought of it. I enjoyed my degree and got a 1st without putting in a huge amount of work anyway so there would never have been much point in me buying an essay.

If it continues to be a big problem they will have to do something to offset the effects. It wouldn't be too difficult to have students sit a shorter version of a phD viva which would quickly sort out whether or not they knew what they'd written.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cambio wechsel
I wonder if there's the will to crack down on this. As revealed in the article, it's for the most part international students who are doing it: the Chinese and Arabs enrolled on masters courses that are their one-year finishing school. For the universities to make the switch to, for example, closed-book exams or presentation assessments that frustrate cheating, would only be to steer the next decade's entrants toward Canada or Australia or wherever else they can still get away with it.

The fact is that these students are an important source of income for universities and provide an economic boost to host communities. Lord love 'em they're often only here because of the expectations of parents having precisely no capacity to gauge their offspring's level of Englis. They've applied with agency-prepared personal statements and been accepted with IELTS scores that suggest them as hardly prepared to order breakfast never mind complete a masters dissertation.

There's definitely more lip service paid to this than real concern amongst universities.

The anti-plagiarism software being used increasingly in the university sector doesn't work spectacularly well and in the US there have been lots of cases of false accusations and even expulsions on the basis of mistaken plagiarism allegations from the software.

TBH, we are nearing the time when essays become a thing of the past and also actually where degree gradings become a thing of the past.
Reply 46
Would never consider doing this. I once got an essay flagged by the copy scanner as it had a 'large number of similarities to a wiki page on the same topic', fortunately I was able to show that I had written the wiki article myself after submitted my essay.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's definitely more lip service paid to this than real concern amongst universities.

The anti-plagiarism software being used increasingly in the university sector doesn't work spectacularly well and in the US there have been lots of cases of false accusations and even expulsions on the basis of mistaken plagiarism allegations from the software.

TBH, we are nearing the time when essays become a thing of the past and also actually where degree gradings become a thing of the past.

What's going to replace essaya/ gradings, in your view?
Can't really do that since every module is tested by exams. I could cheat on my assignments but they're only worth about 10% of the module and it's easier to just get them done.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
What's going to replace essaya/ gradings, in your view?

Nothing. University will issue a straightforward pass or fail, with everybody getting a pass. :teehee:

The brave new world of student funded education.

Latest

Trending

Trending