The Student Room Group

How to get income without a job

So, I want to work full time but I also:
- Don't want to be reliant on an employer.
- Not have to take on crap jobs that have no relevance.
- Not feel like my boss could destroy my life because I arrive 5 minutes late.

So how do I make a small passive income which is enough to pay the rent so I can spend time actually doing work I enjoy instead of selling my soul like some kind of mental prostitute?
No one gets into their ideal job straight up. You work here and there/work up - you learn a lot of skills in doing so.

The only way you're not going to be reliant on an employer is if you *are* the employer. I.e., create your own business.
Original post by Paralove
No one gets into their ideal job straight up. You work here and there/work up - you learn a lot of skills in doing so.

The only way you're not going to be reliant on an employer is if you *are* the employer. I.e., create your own business.

I'm not after like 50k a year, just a tiny bit to pay for the rent so I have that security. Self employment seems just as bad as you have to take on the extra risk. I was thinking more like, making most of my income from some kind of passive stream and doing perm volunteering.
Reply 3
sell yo body
sell yo organs
steal da monies from a bank
Reply 4
Gamble
Original post by TheExtrovertGod

So how do I make a small passive income which is enough to pay the rent so I can spend time actually doing work I enjoy instead of selling my soul like some kind of mental prostitute?

It is hard and I was in a similar position to you a few months ago. I always hated agencies and bureaucratic workplaces, however I was contacted via a job board directly by an agency for a temp job. I passed the stages and in my first week at my new job. The good thing about being an agency worker is that you are only working for someone for a short period of time. So if you don't like them you only have to put up with the hate for a short time. Plus in life, whether you own a business or not you have to take on responsibility and jobs that you may necessarily not like.
Reply 6
Have you found anything?
Original post by TheExtrovertGod

You can't. The things you listed is all apart of life. You are going to have to get on with it.
Sounds like you want to be self-employed perhaps? Then you needn't have a boss.

I would think about training as a plumber, electrician or gas engineer. You can make a decent living and decide what jobs you want to take. Of course if you want to earn more you have to be less picky about turning down work but that's up to you.
If you have some sort of marketable skill (web coding, graphic design, writing, translation...) there are lots of sites where people post job offers for freelancers. PeoplePerHour, Upwork...
Reply 10
Begging?

Shoe shine artist?

Prossie?

Monk?
Original post by Doctor Robert
You can't. The things you listed is all apart of life. You are going to have to get on with it.

Exactly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending