The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by finorin0
I was wondering this as well, it says on their website that it is not guaranteed for people from London like it is for people new to the city, but it still is a possibility

I called them up and the lady said I would be given accommodation, she asked her colleague too who said the same thing. It doesn't however match with whats on the website though.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by m15es
I called them up and the lady said I would be given accommodation, she asked her colleague too who said the same thing. It doesn't however match with whats on the website though.

I'm in 2nd year and when I applied quite a few people I know that lived in London didn't get accommodation but a few of them did. Out of the ones that did get a place, their budget was slightly higher, so maybe they got a place to fill up the more pricey rooms such as at st pancras way as most people were looking for cheaper rooms!
Not sure how true this is tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it hard to get into alternative student accomadation such as intercollegiate halls etc. ?
Reply 103
Original post by finorin0
is it hard to get into alternative student accomadation such as intercollegiate halls etc. ?

I am just applying for intercollegiate for 2017/8, so I do not know how hard yet. My understanding is there is no downside, only upside, and it is all part of the same process. From what I have seen on here, most people applying for intercollegiate get one, even if it is not the exact one they want.

When you apply for your guaranteed UCL accomodation, you can select catered, and because of that you are allowed to specify two choices of intercollegiate halls if you want. If you do not get into an intercollegiate hall then you are still guaranteed accomodation so the worst they can do is ignore that and put you in some random UCL hall or House

This is the only way I have found that you can officially specify a hall

So my tactic will be to do that, say catered, nominate my two preferred intercollegiate halls. You are still allowed one priority, so I will say proximity. And I will specify the price range I need to to get an ensuite.

The UoL website on intercollegiate halls is good, with lots of pictures - they are a lot better looking than UCL's

My guess is that because they are at the higher end of the price range, you will have a much better chance this way, if it works for you
i just firmed UCL and trying to begin the application process. does anyone know when it is open?
Is anyone putting UCL as insurance and risking not being given accommodation if you end up there? If anyone has done this, what was your experience with it?
Reply 106
Banana222- it should be open, have you tried after getting an ID, which I assume you get once you firm

A1. If you are holding an offer of a place to study at UCL and would like to make an application for University accommodation, please go to: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/apply-for- accommodation. You will need your UCL userid and password to log in. If you do not yet know your UCL userid and password, you can use the Online User Registration website to register a personal email address which can then be used to access UCL Student Accommodation Online Services, to make your online application. To register, you will need a personal email address and your UCL Student Number, which is quoted on all communications UCL sends you. To reset or obtain a new password, please contact the ISD Service Desk by emailing [email protected] or telephoning +44 (0)20 7679 5000.
Reply 107
Original post by Stringer8ell
Is anyone putting UCL as insurance and risking not being given accommodation if you end up there? If anyone has done this, what was your experience with it?

No, but...

I did read through the entire many years of accom thread once, and it seemed like you will not get an official place via the uni if only an insurance place. But, once people have made friends in freshers, lots of people want to do swaps, or just pass their hall/ house contract on to someone. So I figured that worst case I would have to pay up to £300 pw for one term in the private uni places, which always seem to have a few places, until I could take over a contract in something cheaper, say £200. Or commute in, 1 hour per day each way. So the downside might be expensive, up to an extra £100pw for a term, but at least you will find somewhere.

I do not know if you can get somewhere immediately at say £200 in a decent location straight away, I expect the best places will have all gone

Having been rejected by Cambridge, I no longer have to worry about that as I will firm UCL. What are you firming?
Original post by randj
No, but...

I did read through the entire many years of accom thread once, and it seemed like you will not get an official place via the uni if only an insurance place. But, once people have made friends in freshers, lots of people want to do swaps, or just pass their hall/ house contract on to someone. So I figured that worst case I would have to pay up to £300 pw for one term in the private uni places, which always seem to have a few places, until I could take over a contract in something cheaper, say £200. Or commute in, 1 hour per day each way. So the downside might be expensive, up to an extra £100pw for a term, but at least you will find somewhere.

I do not know if you can get somewhere immediately at say £200 in a decent location straight away, I expect the best places will have all gone

Having been rejected by Cambridge, I no longer have to worry about that as I will firm UCL. What are you firming?

I'm firming Cambridge, sorry to hear you didn't get in. So no accommodation if you don't firm UCL isn't just an empty threat? I was hoping it would be, but as you say I could try and swap. I think the accommodation situation could be quite a big problem, I have been warned about Durham (lots of people from my school went there and have dropped out/are struggling), but if I get an offer from there as well I might consider it over UCL. Also, when you say swaps, would those who want to leave their accommodation go private rather than UCL halls? If so, why?

Thanks a lot for your response.
Reply 109
Original post by Stringer8ell
I'm firming Cambridge, sorry to hear you didn't get in. So no accommodation if you don't firm UCL isn't just an empty threat? I was hoping it would be, but as you say I could try and swap. I think the accommodation situation could be quite a big problem, I have been warned about Durham (lots of people from my school went there and have dropped out/are struggling), but if I get an offer from there as well I might consider it over UCL. Also, when you say swaps, would those who want to leave their accommodation go private rather than UCL halls? If so, why?

Thanks a lot for your response.

I don't think it is an empty threat, but you might be lucky

There are a few sites for UCL hall help, including swaps

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3564481&page=10

And p18 in the FAQ, says when the wait list and swap list opens, end sept and. Mid oct

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/application/frequently-asked-questions/faqs-25-07-16

Most of the swops I saw were hall to hall, so they will not swop with someone who has no place. But a few just wanted out, to join their friends in private accommodation, or because they were leaving, so it does happen

I am rejecting Durham, but can see why you like it, for me it was a coin toss. And at least back up accommodation will be much cheaper there
Original post by dianavix
Just got an offer for single not en-suite in Max Rayne. Is it really that bad, with all the cockroaches and mice? Please give me an honest opinion, I really want to know what I'm getting myself into...

I'm asking the exact same question if anyone cas this post whose been there please reply or PM me
Original post by jane matthews
I'm asking the exact same question if anyone cas this post whose been there please reply or PM me

Been here since October and haven't seen a single pest.
Reply 112
Any postgrads on here? I'm looking at intercollegiate halls possibly, but I don't want to be stuck with loads of noisy undergrads (I was one once but now the time has passed haha)
Reply 113
Original post by -aimz
Any postgrads on here? I'm looking at intercollegiate halls possibly, but I don't want to be stuck with loads of noisy undergrads (I was one once but now the time has passed haha)

You might find out from some of the folks on here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4489248

Although the target price they have seems over optimistic, or it may not be as good

This may also help:

http://www.gradpadlondon.com/study/university-college-london/

I am joining as an undergrad in Sept 2017, so do not really know, but the impression I get is that the intercollegiate halls are a good compromise and have quite a lot of international postgrads.

You may want to check with UCL on the rules, as it is not clear if you are eligible for UCL halls if you are not an international student
Im an offer holder for 2017 and debating whether to firm ucl or warwick. Currently what's putting me off ucl is the accommodation since my parents reckon that in years 2 and 3 ill be miles out of london living somewhere really dingy, or i wont be able to find people to live with. What is everyone's experience of this? Is sorting 2nd year flatmates a problem, and will i be out of my depth in london when i currently live in small town? Any advice is really appreciated, thank you 😊

Edit: my offer is for English, and I'm very aware how competitive it is for this subject, which i think is biasing me towards ucl over warwick. But does the minimal contact hours mean im likely to spend my uni life alone in my room crying over work? 😂 any English students around?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Frankenstein394
Im an offer holder for 2017 and debating whether to firm ucl or warwick. Currently what's putting me off ucl is the accommodation since my parents reckon that in years 2 and 3 ill be miles out of london living somewhere really dingy, or i wont be able to find people to live with. What is everyone's experience of this? Is sorting 2nd year flatmates a problem, and will i be out of my depth in london when i currently live in small town? Any advice is really appreciated, thank you 😊

Edit: my offer is for English, and I'm very aware how competitive it is for this subject, which i think is biasing me towards ucl over warwick. But does the minimal contact hours mean im likely to spend my uni life alone in my room crying over work? 😂 any English students around?

I'm a first year PPE student here at UCL and like you last year I struggled to decide between UCL and Warwick! Here is what I think:

1) London is generally expensive for housing, but if you're able to afford the prices of UCL accommodation, then don't worry as you will easily find a flat
2) don't worry at all about making new friends, it's normal to start a new life and at first, it may be difficult to adapt... but trust me, there are tons of opportunities to get on with people
3) London is amazing and very stimulating, there are a lot of events that you can attend (also for you that study English)
4)UCL is internationally more recognised than Warwick and its English department is one of the best in the UK
5) Yes, it is a very tough uni, I don't know for English, but at PPE we study A LOT and for a lot I mean A LOT ahah but you can have a good social life

This is what I think. However, Warwick is a very good choice and you're not gonna ruin your life by going there!
At the end of the day it's your decision. Take into account if you would like to stay in a big city rather than a campus. For example, I came from a little town and the idea of being stuck in Coventry wasn't very appealing.. but again it depends on you

let me know if you have more questions :smile:
Original post by Ibac
I'm a first year PPE student here at UCL and like you last year I struggled to decide between UCL and Warwick! Here is what I think:

1) London is generally expensive for housing, but if you're able to afford the prices of UCL accommodation, then don't worry as you will easily find a flat
2) don't worry at all about making new friends, it's normal to start a new life and at first, it may be difficult to adapt... but trust me, there are tons of opportunities to get on with people
3) London is amazing and very stimulating, there are a lot of events that you can attend (also for you that study English)
4)UCL is internationally more recognised than Warwick and its English department is one of the best in the UK
5) Yes, it is a very tough uni, I don't know for English, but at PPE we study A LOT and for a lot I mean A LOT ahah but you can have a good social life

This is what I think. However, Warwick is a very good choice and you're not gonna ruin your life by going there!
At the end of the day it's your decision. Take into account if you would like to stay in a big city rather than a campus. For example, I came from a little town and the idea of being stuck in Coventry wasn't very appealing.. but again it depends on you

let me know if you have more questions :smile:

Thank you! That was really helpful!
Reply 117
Original post by Frankenstein394
Thank you! That was really helpful!

let me know what u re gonna do in the end!
Reply 118
Frankenstein394 - I had offers from UCL and Warwick and Durham for economics, with all 3 being similar course wise

I firmed UCL, for the usual reasons. Nothing wrong with Warwick, it would have been fine, but for me UCL had a slight edge. As you say, my biggest concern was year 2 and 3 accomodation

I think you should be able to find somewhere good quality within easy tube journey in years 2 and 3, for around the same cost as the halls. Also, the private student accommodation at Kings Cross is excellent and next door to UCL, although very expensive
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by randj
Frankenstein394 - I had offers from UCL and Warwick and Durham for economics, with all 3 being similar course wise

I firmed UCL, for the usual reasons. Nothing wrong with Warwick, it would have been fine, but for me UCL had a slight edge. As you say, my biggest concern was year 2 and 3 accomodation

I think you should be able to find somewhere good quality within easy tube journey in years 2 and 3, for around the same cost as the halls. Also, the private student accommodation at Kings Cross is excellent and next door to UCL, although very expensive

Thank you! So how did you find sorting 2nd year accommodation?

Latest

Trending

Trending