The Student Room Group

GCSE grades not enough for medicine?

Hi,

I want to do Medicine at uni, however, my GCSE grades are really not enough.
I got 1A*, 6As and 2Bs (plus a B in Further Maths).

However in my 2Bs other than FM, I was 1 mark off an A in both :/

Is it still heavily A level and UKCAT based for an application as the exams at the end of yr 12 will only be internal (except maths) due to the as/a level change?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by IttsmeAA
Hi,

I want to do Medicine at uni, however, my GCSE grades are really not enough.
I got 1A*, 6As and 2Bs (plus a B in Further Maths).

However in my 2Bs other than FM, I was 1 mark off an A in both :/

Is it still heavily A level and UKCAT based for an application as the exams at the end of yr 12 will only be internal (except maths) due to the as/a level change?

Thanks in advance :smile:

sort of on a similar boat to you, dm me cos i know how you feel but cba to write it all out here, dm me with any questions and ill help you out but basically your grades look good enough for somewhere like barts or st georges, obviously not oxford gotta be honest and realistic, with good enough a levels you could get cambridge. im also year 12

the trick is to apply to unis that have similar entry requirements to what you could offer

for example for you may pass the minimum entry requirement for a uni but they may select interviewees on the bases of gcses or give offers out but ranking gcse grades

nottingham take top8 gcses as does st georges
Reply 2
Original post by sfaraj
sort of on a similar boat to you, dm me cos i know how you feel but cba to write it all out here, dm me with any questions and ill help you out but basically your grades look good enough for somewhere like barts or st georges, obviously not oxford gotta be honest and realistic, with good enough a levels you could get cambridge. im also year 12

the trick is to apply to unis that have similar entry requirements to what you could offer

for example for you may pass the minimum entry requirement for a uni but they may select interviewees on the bases of gcses or give offers out but ranking gcse grades

nottingham take top8 gcses as does st georges

Yepp, I'm definitely not thinking about Oxbridge because they are way above what I've got and yep, I've tried to look at unis with lower requirements but the
competition unbelievable that even if I just qualify, there will be people with higher grades.
Yepp, I'm definitely not thinking about Oxbridge because they are way above what I've got and yep, I've tried to look at unis with lower requirements but the
competition unbelievable that even if I just qualify, there will be people with higher grades.

i get you, i mean if you manage A*A*A* you could get cambridge but they want 90UMS marks or something so its less grades more ums

but i get you, i want to apply this october and people i know are applying with over 5/6A* and i have the odd 2, but thats where you need to be careful, if you apply somewhere which bases their selections in first stages by gcses you can forget them

but somewhere like newcastle, you pass the minimum requirement then its onto ukcat thresholds, then interview performance which results in an offer or rejection

for somewhere like barts, minimum is required, then the rank on a 50:50 weighting of ukcat to ucas tariff, there are people this year who got rejected with all A* at gcse, 700 UKCATs and a AAA-A*A*A* alevel predictions but the more ucas points you have the better
Reply 4
Don't know how you apply with the new curriculum as it's changed since last year when I applied. For me I got 1 A* 5A 3B C for my GCSEs, at AS I got AAAAA. The only uni I got an interview from was Leeds, as they looked at AS or GCSE (whichever was better), not both. I unfortunately didn't get an offer but that was down to my interview performance, I was ranked 1/10 for grades (1 being the best, 10 the worst), and 5 on BMAT with a below average score. It's about applying smart. If you do exceptionall well in UKCAT you would probably get an interview from Newcastle.

This is presuming that you use your internal grades to put on UCAS but can't be certain as I'm unaware, hoped this helped
Reply 5
Original post by sfaraj
i get you, i mean if you manage A*A*A* you could get cambridge but they want 90UMS marks or something so its less grades more ums

but i get you, i want to apply this october and people i know are applying with over 5/6A* and i have the odd 2, but thats where you need to be careful, if you apply somewhere which bases their selections in first stages by gcses you can forget them

but somewhere like newcastle, you pass the minimum requirement then its onto ukcat thresholds, then interview performance which results in an offer or rejection

for somewhere like barts, minimum is required, then the rank on a 50:50 weighting of ukcat to ucas tariff, there are people this year who got rejected with all A* at gcse, 700 UKCATs and a AAA-A*A*A* alevel predictions but the more ucas points you have the better

Yeaah that makes sense, I guess its just selecting unis wisely aswell. I've looked at Keele, Sheffield and QueenMary so far but I haven't decided anything. They need about 5AS+ at GCSE.

I guess extracurricular etc matter aswell? And as for the interview - I'm more of a people person so hoping this will prove to be useful haha!
Yeaah that makes sense, I guess its just selecting unis wisely aswell. I've looked at Keele, Sheffield and QueenMary so far but I haven't decided anything. They need about 5AS+ at GCSE.

I guess extracurricular etc matter aswell? And as for the interview - I'm more of a people person so hoping this will prove to be useful haha!

good luck! i think those are very wise choices! if you are peoples person, then both types of interviews may be of use then the traditions (barts) and mmis(everyone else aha)
Reply 7
Some unis like Leicester give points for GCSEs with A*s receiving the most if you aren't confident it may be best to avoid such unis. Others don't put much as much emphasis on them. Just really analyse their selection procedures and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending