The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Economic/and Social History +

It would be great to know how many peeps have applied to the Economic History/Econ and Social History (/with Politics/Sociology/etc) courses and how many have received offers so far.

It would be nice to have a little bit more of an idea of how many people have/not received offers and what fee status and grades they boast.

Edinburgh apparently has very different entry requirements for Home/EU applicants as compared to British/International applicants.
Original post by Caius Filimon
It would be great to know how many peeps have applied to the Economic History/Econ and Social History (/with Politics/Sociology/etc) courses and how many have received offers so far.

It would be nice to have a little bit more of an idea of how many people have/not received offers and what fee status and grades they boast.

Edinburgh apparently has very different entry requirements for Home/EU applicants as compared to British/International applicants.

Applied to Economics straight, no response. Grades higher 5 A's
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hi, I applied to all three economic history courses but not too hopeful about getting an offer as I don't feel my personal statement was good enough, I haven't heard anything back yet tho! I am an EU applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flash124
Hi, I applied to all three economic history courses but not too hopeful about getting an offer as I don't feel my personal statement was good enough, I haven't heard anything back yet tho! I am an EU applicant

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you called them up to ask about applying to multiple courses. I did and they told me that applying for certain combos of courses would be a wasted application as some of then use the same applicant pools.

As long as you have at least two grades higher than the requirements in A level equivalents you should have a good chance. Good luck!
I hope you called them up to ask about applying to multiple courses. I did and they told me that applying for certain combos of courses would be a wasted application as some of then use the same applicant pools.

As long as you have at least two grades higher than the requirements in A level equivalents you should have a good chance. Good luck!

Do you mean two grades higher than the minimum entry requirement or two grades higher than the standard entry requirement?
Original post by Kanelbullar
Do you mean two grades higher than the minimum entry requirement or two grades higher than the standard entry requirement?

For EU students it would be two grades higher than the standard entry requirement, sadly. Not the minimum entry requirement. Economic and Social History and Politics ,for instance, is A*A*A for EU students, as compared to the AAA of Brits/Internationals.

Hopefully, you've applied to the Glasgow courses as well (seemingly identical courses, but with a set AAB entry requirement to both Home/EU and British/International applicants)
For EU students it would be two grades higher than the standard entry requirement, sadly. Not the minimum entry requirement. Economic and Social History and Politics ,for instance, is A*A*A for EU students, as compared to the AAA of Brits/Internationals.

Hopefully, you've applied to the Glasgow courses as well (seemingly identical courses, but with a set AAB entry requirement to both Home/EU and British/International applicants)

Uhmmm Scots and EU are under the same numbers cap at thus (unless unpopular course) offers are usually at standard offer. As you say above the minimum which is reserved for contextual offers.

Exception being for English student who they really want and thus sometimes give a lower than standard offer too. This isn't a usual offer but can be given to high achieving applicant. English applicants are also uncapped, unlike Scots/Eu applicants who don't pay fees.

International they want for fee's as well as talent and numbers are not capped. Offers can be lower than for Scots/eu and this is explained in their admissions statement.

But good luck to everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chaira
Course: Economic History and Business
IB Points achieved (2016): 35, 666 HL
Student Status: EU

I'm kind of worried about getting an offer as I haven't heard back yet... Has anyone here gotten offers from Edinburgh?

Don't be worried! Internationals first and then it's us. It's quite likely to be Feb/march time. Unless you are lucky and get an early offer! Some people already have offers for Art History/Geography etc - best of luck!
Original post by Econhopeful17
Uhmmm Scots and EU are under the same numbers cap at thus (unless unpopular course) offers are usually at standard offer. As you say above the minimum which is reserved for contextual offers.

Exception being for English student who they really want and thus sometimes give a lower than standard offer too. This isn't a usual offer but can be given to high achieving applicant. English applicants are also uncapped, unlike Scots/Eu applicants who don't pay fees.

International they want for fee's as well as talent and numbers are not capped. Offers can be lower than for Scots/eu and this is explained in their admissions statement.

But good luck to everyone!

That's not what I was told when I called them up, and emailed the Admissions officer with regards to the standard offers given out to EU applicants.

Maybe they just meant it in the sense of being nearly 'guaranteed' an offer, but their wording didn't seem to show that. Although they did seem very evasive in their replies...

I don't know about the Scots and EU applicants being held up to the same requirements as the Scots do not have to sit A2s.

They likewise want internationals to bolster their ranking as quite a few university ranking websites for some reason think that a high % of international students shows a university to be 'better'.

Original post by Chaira
Course: Economic History and Business
IB Points achieved (2016): 35, 666 HL
Student Status: EU

I'm kind of worried about getting an offer as I haven't heard back yet... Has anyone here gotten offers from Edinburgh?

A friend who had the absolute perfect grades and school reference needed FOUR months to receive an offer. He was EU. Have no worries
Reply 9
That's not what I was told when I called them up, and emailed the Admissions officer with regards to the standard offers given out to EU applicants.

Maybe they just meant it in the sense of being nearly 'guaranteed' an offer, but their wording didn't seem to show that. Although they did seem very evasive in their replies...

this relates to which course, themes competitive courses are not easy and are not an easy deal e.g. - law medicine economics etc

I don't know about the Scots and EU applicants being held up to the same requirements as the Scots do not have to sit A2s.

Scots are EU are treated identically as they have the same FEE status, i.e. free. Its nothing to do with A2's. EU would need to meet the requirement, difference being Scots already have their grades in the bag...

They likewise want internationals to bolster their ranking as quite a few university ranking websites for some reason think that a high % of international students shows a university to be 'better'.

Thats interesting and I agree, but another view point is they pay mega bucks to attend and the university. These places are also 'not capped'.

A friend who had the absolute perfect grades and school reference needed FOUR months to receive an offer. He was EU. Have no worries

Yes it can take ages! Sadly!

Sadly I didn't call them but it doesn't really make a difference as I wouldn't have applied to any alternative courses if that makes sense. I'm an EU applicant as I live in the north of Ireland but I am an Irish citizen therefor I study A Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flash124
Sadly I didn't call them but it doesn't really make a difference as I wouldn't have applied to any alternative courses if that makes sense. I'm an EU applicant as I live in the north of Ireland but I am an Irish citizen therefor I study A Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh here's an interesting question: how hard is it for someone from northern ireland to get an Irish citizenship? It's a good way of getting rid of your fees by applying to Scottish unis that way
Oh here's an interesting question: how hard is it for someone from northern ireland to get an Irish citizenship? It's a good way of getting rid of your fees by applying to Scottish unis that way

As a citizen living in the north of Ireland I have only ever held an Irish passport, as have my parents. I'm not sure what the case is if you have a British passport, you must fill out a questionnaire upon application to the university for then to decide which fee bracket to place you in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bump!

Has anyone received an offer yet for econ/and social history+ ? Any replies at all from Edinburgh?
Welp, just got an offer. Good luck to everyone else!
Reply 15
Do you mind me asking why grades you have / were offered? Thanks
Original post by Jbinks97
Do you mind me asking why grades you have / were offered? Thanks

Unconditional; I've already sat my A levels: A*AAACC

Good luck with your application!
Reply 17
Has anyone heard back from Edinburgh yet? I'm still waiting :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending