The Student Room Group

How far apart do my AS and A2 need to be to get a full A level?! Help appreciated

Hi if anyone could help me with a query I have I'd really appreciate it.
I sat some AS maths in June 2014 and due to failing my exams in 2015, I have decided to resit some exams in June 2017 (A2's) however will I be able to use the marks I achieved in 2014 with the marks I will get in 2017 for a full a level certificate? My exam boards are OCR(MEI) and AQA if that helps
Original post by blipson
I sat some AS maths in June 2014 and due to failing my exams in 2015, I have decided to resit some exams in June 2017 (A2's) however will I be able to use the marks I achieved in 2014 with the marks I will get in 2017 for a full a level certificate? My exam boards are OCR(MEI) and AQA if that helps

I'm not clear how you have two exam boards ... which modules have you done at AS and which board?
Original post by blipson

If you completed all six units of the maths A level with one examiner then you could resit any units to improve the grade in any exam period up to summer 2019.
Compost has clarified below that If you did the AS with one examiner and transferred credit to complete the A2 with a different examiners it is still possible to resit AS and A2 units but your centre(s) would have some extra admin to do. You should discuss your plans with your exam centre(s) ASAP.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Which units have you done with which boards?
The deadline to apply to swap boards (transfer credit is the official term) for your AS was 21 October. If you do transfer your AS and want to re-sit your AS units then you have to resit with the original board and re-transfer. Talk to the exam office where you are hoping to take exams ASAP.
Original post by Compost
Which units have you done with which boards?
The deadline to apply to swap boards (transfer credit is the official term) for your AS was 21 October. If you do transfer your AS and want to re-sit your AS units then you have to resit with the original board and re-transfer. Talk to the exam office where you are hoping to take exams ASAP.

Thanks for the clarification compost, I didn't know you you could resit AS and then transfer credit for a second time.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
If you completed all six units of the maths A level with one examiner then you could resit any units to improve the grade in any exam period up to summer 2019.
Compost has clarified below that If you did the AS with one examiner and transferred credit to complete the A2 with a different examiners it is still possible to resit AS and A2 units but your centre(s) would have some extra admin to do. You should discuss your plans with your exam centre(s) ASAP.

Sorry for confusion I am not changing examiners/exam boards, I want to use AS marks I achieved in 2014 with marks I will achieve this summer 2017 for a full A-level, don't know whether it's true but I heard somewhere the maximum distance you can use marks together for an A-level is 3 years, I am sitting Bio n physics with AQA, maths with OCE (MEI). If you don't mind me asking how did you know that the exam period was up until 2019, if so I am relieved.
Reply 6
Original post by blipson
Sorry for confusion I am not changing examiners/exam boards, I want to use AS marks I achieved in 2014 with marks I will achieve this summer 2017 for a full A-level, don't know whether it's true but I heard somewhere the maximum distance you can use marks together for an A-level is 3 years, I am sitting Bio n physics with AQA, maths with OCE (MEI). If you don't mind me asking how did you know that the exam period was up until 2019, if so I am relieved.

The only time limitation is the life of the specification. The Maths is fine, you can just enter for the A2 units this Summer but Biology and Physics may be an issue as in theory you can't take old spec A2 exams for the first time this year (plus it will be extremely difficult to find somewhere to do the practical/coursework A2 unit). I suspect that it will be possible but, if you haven't already done it then you need to find a centre ASAP - you're already past the main entry deadline and the fees will go up again by 22 March. be prepared: this isn't going to be cheap.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
The only time limitation is the life of the specification. The Maths is fine, you can just enter for the A2 units this Summer but Biology and Physics may be an issue as in theory you can't take old spec A2 exams for the first time this year (plus it will be extremely difficult to find somewhere to do the practical/coursework A2 unit). I suspect that it will be possible but, if you haven't already done it then you need to find a centre ASAP - you're already past the main entry deadline and the fees will go up again by 22 March. be prepared: this isn't going to be cheap.

Thanks for the help. I have already booked all my exams so that is done but the only thing remaining is you say in theory "I can't take old spec A2 exams for the first time this year" what do you mean by this as I have already arranged to sit old spec A2 exams?
Reply 8
Original post by blipson
Thanks for the help. I have already booked all my exams so that is done but the only thing remaining is you say in theory "I can't take old spec A2 exams for the first time this year" what do you mean by this as I have already arranged to sit old spec A2 exams?

It's a really grey area. In theory the exam board may reject the entry if it isn't a re-sit but, since you have done the AS I think you'll probably be OK.

Quick Reply

Latest