The Student Room Group

Manchester Metropolitan or University of Liverpool?

Hi, I am between Manchester Metropolitan and Uni of Liverpool. Which one do you think that is the best one for a law course? (also for a social life/nightlife/student life).I am from Cyprus so, I am interested in meeting new people from there, but I don't really know which city they prefer. Moreover, I don't really like to have only friends from Cyprus but also to meet international people/British people and become friends with them. (So I am looking for a city in which I can find friendly people from Cyprus and friendly people from other countries or from Britain) Because I would like to speak English. So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 3 years of my life as a law student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a lawyer in the future. (sorry for my English)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by omg02
Hi, I am between Manchester Metropolitan and Uni of Liverpool. Which one do you think that is the best one for a law course? (also for a social life/nightlife/student life).I am from Cyprus so, I am interested in meeting new people from there, but I don't really know which city they prefer. Moreover, I don't really like to have only friends from Cyprus but also to meet international people/British people and become friends with them. (So I am looking for a city in which I can find friendly people from Cyprus and friendly people from other countries or from Britain) Because I would like to speak English. So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 3 years of my life as a law student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a lawyer in the future. (sorry for my English)

Pick Liverpool, there isn't much debate here
Liverpool.
Reply 3
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Liverpool.

Why do you prefer Liverpool? (better uni? or better student life?)
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Pick Liverpool, there isn't much debate here

Original post by omg02

Both big cities - student life is whatever you make of it. But, Liverpool is certainly the better university.
Reply 6
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Both big cities - student life is whatever you make of it. But, Liverpool is certainly the better university.

okay thanks^^
Hey pal,

According to 'thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk' Liverpool ranks higher than MMU for Law by 8 places. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=law
(if you want to see for yourself)

Of course this is only 1 source and other league tables could say the gap is 5 plaes or 4 places etc, but the general perception is that Liverpool Uni is better than MMU and that law at Liverpool is better than law at MMU. In terms of what the cities are like I'd say they're both quite similar (ive lived in manchester all my life) in terms of size, population, night life i.e they're both big cities with lots of different people and places to go.

Just because a league table says x is better than y doesn't necessarily mean you'll benefit more from the 'better' uni. So the 'lesser' uni may have teaching styles that suit you more or an environment thats better for you to learn and so you might perform better at the 'lesser' uni, so if you could I'd highly urge you attend some kind of applicant day (i know it would be hard for you since you're from cyprus lol) to see which uni suits you better,

Good luck mate!
Liverpool isn't fantastic by any means, but is still miles better than the cesspit that is Manchester Met.
Reply 9
I think that I will put as my firm choice the Uni of Liverpool and as my insurance the Manchester Metropolitan just to be sure. By the way what about student accommodations with ensuite rooms? (prices, laundry services, ) Does anyone have any opinion about this?
Reply 10
Original post by hamzakalinle
Hey pal,

According to 'thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk' Liverpool ranks higher than MMU for Law by 8 places. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=law
(if you want to see for yourself)

Of course this is only 1 source and other league tables could say the gap is 5 plaes or 4 places etc, but the general perception is that Liverpool Uni is better than MMU and that law at Liverpool is better than law at MMU. In terms of what the cities are like I'd say they're both quite similar (ive lived in manchester all my life) in terms of size, population, night life i.e they're both big cities with lots of different people and places to go.

Just because a league table says x is better than y doesn't necessarily mean you'll benefit more from the 'better' uni. So the 'lesser' uni may have teaching styles that suit you more or an environment thats better for you to learn and so you might perform better at the 'lesser' uni, so if you could I'd highly urge you attend some kind of applicant day (i know it would be hard for you since you're from cyprus lol) to see which uni suits you better,

Good luck mate!

Yes, I know. I am thinking to choose Uni of Liverpool, but on the other hand, I am thinking about Cypriot students and which city they prefer. And I think that most of them they prefer Manchester. You may think that I am stupid but you know I don't want to be alone or something like that and it would be nice to meet some people from the same country as me.
Original post by omg02
Yes, I know. I am thinking to choose Uni of Liverpool, but on the other hand, I am thinking about Cypriot students and which city they prefer. And I think that most of them they prefer Manchester. You may think that I am stupid but you know I don't want to be alone or something like that and it would be nice to meet some people from the same country as me.

It's not stupid at all mate, it makes complete sense to want to be around with people like yourself. Also it's good that you're getting advice from other Cypriot students, it might be very helpful. Either way you're going to be fine, I'm sure.
Reply 12
Both are not great to be honest. Uni of Liverpool is the least employable of the Russell Group unis and will not help you get a pupilage or TC at a commercial law firm in London. However, yes, Liverpool is the better of the two. Manchester Metropolitan is a laughing stock. I do Law at the proper uni (UNIVERSITY OF Manchester).
Reply 13
Original post by ORW
Both are not great to be honest. Uni of Liverpool is the least employable of the Russell Group unis and will not help you get a pupilage or TC at a commercial law firm in London. However, yes, Liverpool is the better of the two. Manchester Metropolitan is a laughing stock. I do Law at the proper uni (UNIVERSITY OF Manchester).

How did you know that I want to be a lawyer in London? HAHAHHA (I think that you read my mind) , do you think that I should change my ucas choises?? (sorry again for my english)
Reply 14
Original post by ORW

look
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/graduate-employability-top-universities-uk-ranked-employers

The university of Liverpool is the 18th , but the manchester metropolitan university is not even in the list.
Hey im also from cyrpus and i have the same issue here i dont know which city to choose and what uni, the most though im really worried is if whether im going to make friends there or not and because rankings are so high (i mean liverpool) about the reading and effort u need to do in order to get a proper degree ?
Original post by omg02

Hi,

Not sure about the Law side of things as I am a Media Production Student but Liverpool is amazing!

I am in my final year and I have had the best experience here. I am even thinking of staying here after my studies! The nightlife is amazing, everyone in the city is so so friendly and the accommodation/ living areas are good for money in comparison to other cities. Everything is so close together but you can still feel the buzz of the city centre. Plenty of free events, shopping, good club nights etc.

You can stay in the city centre for £100p/w, whereas in Manchester you are paying huge amounts to be in the city centre. I currently stay with 'The Edge - X1 Lettings' next to my university campus and it is amazing so central and good for money!

- Everyone will stick their neck out to help you have a great time too! - Friendliest bunch of people!

x
Reply 17
Pick Liverpool! Liverpool FTW
Reply 18
I'm a student at the Uni of Liverpool and I absolutely recommend it, really great city that will end up feeling very homely and the university is great too, I love being here
Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending