The Student Room Group

Trump 'to sign orders restricting refugees from Muslim nations'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Oh please,like Arabs haven't contributed to anything in society.

Some, but at a national level we should bear the whole in mind. These people don't fit in well.
Original post by Rakas21
Some, but at a national level we should bear the whole in mind. These people don't fit in well.

Nah. Y'all need to stop with this us and them divide,maybe then they wouldn't mind integrating. Don't be hostile. We can't generalise the actions of a few on a whole population of people or those who follow a particular religion
Original post by MildredMalone
This just shows how people dodn't actually listen to what Trump says. The money is going to come from remittences sent back to Mexico, and (something else I forget).

Weell, yeah. I doubt the people who assaulted kids and women in swimming pools had links to extremists, they're just acting in the way their culture allowed.

So? It's still a lot of money to fix only 50% of the problem. That money could have been used better. The point still stands.
Reply 83
Places that America has helped turn into third world hellholes. God forbid they ever try to seek asylum in the USA tho,right?

Yes, making the people from those regions even more likely to be hostile towards the USA and the West. All the more reason to deny them entry.
Original post by Wōden
Yes, making the people from those regions even more likely to be hostile towards the USA and the West. All the more reason to deny them entry.

Sickening.
Reply 85
Sickening.

It's not sickening, it's basic common sense. Inviting hostile peoples and ideological enemies into your own country is a recipe for disaster, as we are beginning to see across Europe now.
Nah. Y'all need to stop with this us and them divide,maybe then they wouldn't mind integrating. Don't be hostile. We can't generalise the actions of a few on a whole population of people or those who follow a particular religion
Except that's not the case. Many views hostile to Western values (such as unequal rights for women, homosexuals, etc.) are widely held in these populations. Quite simply, unless the individual happens to have an exceptional skill or talent, what is the advantage to be gained from allowing immigrants from these countries, as opposed to allowing immigrants from the West (or East Asia)?
Original post by Rakas21

For someone so intellectual, you don't half surprise me at times with this nonsense.

Whatever happened to judging people as individuals and not the country they were born into?

It seems that both the right and the left are obsessed with identity politics and pandering to certain social groups.

The right are the new social justice warriors.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes you can lmao
Every single law and political action makes generalisations, it's the only way to do it. Absolutely impossible to take it by a case by case basis.

The thing is the culture/ideology is the reason these individuals commit those actions. Until they sort themselves out, i don't see why we should be putting so much effort into bringing them over and accommodating for them.
We don't need them. We have nothing to gain from them that we couldn't elsewhere with far less risk.
Original post by astutehirstute
Agreed.

These are just the tentative first steps in what will be the defining struggle of our era.

Stop pandering to identity politics....
Original post by Bornblue
Stop pandering to identity politics....

"But you mean leftists started it..."
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
"But you mean leftists started it..."

I have always opposed identity politics whether it comes from the right or the left.

I'm left wing myself and deplore the SJW with their safe spaces and 'no platforms'.

But the right are becoming just as bad in trying to treat white men as a minority group.

I don't want any identity politics from the right or the left.

That is fair enough. The problem though is that only a few followers of a particular religion can cause disproportionate damage, and the more society atomises into competing sects, the more there is risk of a civil war.

Part of your family are Maronites from Lebanon, right? So doesn't what happened in your ancestral homeland, the vicious bloody internecine war between Sunni, Shia, Druze and Christian, provide evidence of the dangers of this?
Original post by astutehirstute
That is fair enough. The problem though is that only a few followers of a particular religion can cause disproportionate damage, and the more society atomises into competing sects, the more there is risk of a civil war.

Part of your family are Maronites from Lebanon, right? So doesn't what happened in your ancestral homeland, the vicious bloody internecine war between Sunni, Shia, Druze and Christian, provide evidence of the dangers of this?

Doesn't mean I'm going to hold a grudge against Muslims/the majority population.

Civil war started in the west by letting in some refugees? Who actually need our help
Original post by Zargabaath
Yes you can lmao
Every single law and political action makes generalisations, it's the only way to do it. Absolutely impossible to take it by a case by case basis.

The thing is the culture/ideology is the reason these individuals commit those actions. Until they sort themselves out, i don't see why we should be putting so much effort into bringing them over and accommodating for them.
We don't need them. We have nothing to gain from them that we couldn't elsewhere with far less risk.

So the west should stop getting involved in their lands and arming rebels/terrorists.
Original post by Wōden
It's not sickening, it's basic common sense. Inviting hostile peoples and ideological enemies into your own country is a recipe for disaster, as we are beginning to see across Europe now.

Because every Syrian refugee coming to the west is An enemy who wants to try to kill us? Even the kids right?
Original post by JRKinder
Except that's not the case. Many views hostile to Western values (such as unequal rights for women, homosexuals, etc.) are widely held in these populations. Quite simply, unless the individual happens to have an exceptional skill or talent, what is the advantage to be gained from allowing immigrants from these countries, as opposed to allowing immigrants from the West (or East Asia)?

But we have Muslims living successfully amongst us in the UK...

I think youre talking salafi extremists an d other extreme sects. Majority of Muslims are peace loving,ain't nobody got time to be holding grudges continuously,people just want safety for their families
But we have Muslims living successfully amongst us in the UK...

I think youre talking salafi extremists an d other extreme sects. Majority of Muslims are peace loving,ain't nobody got time to be holding grudges continuously,people just want safety for their families
Polls have been done even among British Muslims, and they've shown that the majority are hostile to ideas such as rights for homosexuals. Some even wanted it to be illegal to insult the Prophet Muhammed. I'm not saying that every Muslim is a salafi extremist, of course that's not the case. But, why would we bother risking it when we could take an Australian, a Canadian, an American, a German, idk maybe a Chinese person, in their place? These groups will either find it much easier to integrate into a fellow western society, or will be statistically less likely to hold hostile views to our core values, but most likely will have both of these in their favour.

Source: http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/c4-survey-and-documentary-reveals-what-british-muslims-really-think
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JRKinder
Polls have been done even among British Muslims, and they've shown that the majority are hostile to ideas such as rights for homosexuals. Some even wanted it to be illegal to insult the Prophet Muhammed. I'm not saying that every Muslim is a salafi extremist, of course that's not the case. But, why would we bother risking it when we could take an Australian, a Canadian, an American, a German, idk maybe a Chinese person, in their place? These groups will either find it much easier to integrate into a fellow western society, or will be statistically less likely to hold hostile views to our core values, but most likely will have both of these in their favour.

Yeah cos every brown person is out to get us or just aren't good enough for us,sprinkled with a dash of white supremacy.
Yeah cos every brown person is out to get us or just aren't good enough for us,sprinkled with a dash of white supremacy.
What does this have to do with race? It's about their beliefs; many hold views that are entirely hostile to our values. Look at the above survey, and please address the points I've made as opposed to calling me racist, because I've said nothing of the sort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending