The Student Room Group

Volume of revolution help?

The question is: The region R is bounded by the curve y = 4 +3sec2x, the x-axis and the lines x=-pi/6 and x=pi/6. Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating R through 2pi radians about the x-axis.

I get to the stage where I have pi (9/2tan2x + 12ln(sec2x + tan2x) + 16x) with the limits but I cant seem to get the answer in the back when I substitute which is 200.907
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
The region R is bounded by the curve y = 4 +3sec2x, the x-axis and the lines x=-\frac{\pi}{6} and x=\frac{\pi}{6}. Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating R through 2\pi radians about the x-axis.

Are you familiar with this formula: πaby2 dx \pi \int_a^b y^2 \ dx
The region R is bounded by the curve y = 4 +3sec2x, the x-axis and the lines x=-\frac{\pi}{6} and x=\frac{\pi}{6}. Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating R through 2\pi radians about the x-axis.

Use the pi y^2 formula
make sure your calculator is set to radions.
Original post by Naruke
Are you familiar with this formula: πaby2 dx \pi \int_a^b y^2 \ dx

Original post by beastmode1
Use the pi y^2 formula

I used the formula (That's how I got to the stage). I'm wondering if I've integrated wrong.
The question is: The region R is bounded by the curve y = 4 +3sec2x, the x-axis and the lines x=-pi/6 and x=pi/6. Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating R through 2pi radians about the x-axis.

I get to the stage where I have pi (9/2tan2x + 12ln(sec2x + tan2x) + 16x) with the limits but I cant seem to get the answer in the back when I substitute which is 200.907

You are probably expanding it wrong should get 64
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by beastmode1
You are probably expanding it wrong should get 29

what, 29 for the answer??
Reply 7
I used the formula (That's how I got to the stage). I'm wondering if I've integrated wrong.

There are many ways to go about solving an integral, so just giving us the stage you got to doesn't help us much. We need line by line steps, if possible...
what, 29 for the answer??

No I got 64 lol I made a mistake

Quick Reply

Latest