The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge if I'm the only one at my school getting the right grades?

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sickformBud
Hi all,
I'm doing Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry at my old school's sixth form. I've now done 2 sets of mocks, and I have gotten A* in Maths, chem and physics; and A in Further maths. I'm in year 12 by the way. I really want to go to Cambridge (maybe oxford), but my sixth form here is crap and there's a less than 45% A*-B rate. Nobody has ever gone to Cambridge/oxford from my sixth. I feel like most people around me aren't in the same league, they're only getting like C/Ds and a few Bs. Literally, nobody got nearly as good results as me. Mainly because I revised and learnt a huge amount at home though (probably way more than most others). I don't want to sound obnoxious or anything, but provided I get these sorts of grades for the real exams, will I be held back my school's background and peers, if I try to apply to Cambridge? Can the school govern who I apply to, or something that would restrict me when applying? I got the second best GCSE results if that helps (7 A*s and 3 As), so I'm pretty confident I can replicate my results now. To be honest I don't really like my sixth here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cambridge don't care about where you've come from but where you might go. They will see these grades in the context of your background and interpret it as you having a significant potential to succeed. This does not mean you're guaranteed a place as they take a lot of information into consideration (e.g. personal statement, interviews etc.) but they don't hold you back over where you went to school.
Hi all,
I'm doing Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry at my old school's sixth form. I've now done 2 sets of mocks, and I have gotten A* in Maths, chem and physics; and A in Further maths. I'm in year 12 by the way. I really want to go to Cambridge (maybe oxford), but my sixth form here is crap and there's a less than 45% A*-B rate. Nobody has ever gone to Cambridge/oxford from my sixth. I feel like most people around me aren't in the same league, they're only getting like C/Ds and a few Bs. Literally, nobody got nearly as good results as me. Mainly because I revised and learnt a huge amount at home though (probably way more than most others). I don't want to sound obnoxious or anything, but provided I get these sorts of grades for the real exams, will I be held back my school's background and peers, if I try to apply to Cambridge? Can the school govern who I apply to, or something that would restrict me when applying? I got the second best GCSE results if that helps (7 A*s and 3 As), so I'm pretty confident I can replicate my results now. To be honest I don't really like my sixth here. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have asked Cambridge about this because I'm in a similar situation. They said if you're doing better than most people in your school, that's seen as a really positive thing, even if your school is rubbish. Also they look at your gcse grades compared to others in your school so what's seen as 'good' gcse grades at one school might not be at another.

I don't think your school can stop you applying to Cambridge if you want to!
How the heck did you get A stars if you're in year 12?? AS levels only go up to A??
Don't worry about everyone else, worry about yourself. Do whatever it takes to make sure you are the best you can be. Cambridge sometimes takes into consideration circumstance, but only really at GCSE as you apply without having gotten the actual A level grades. If you can prove how much you love your subject, and have the predicted grades to back it up, you're likely to get an offer from Cambridge - getting good grades isn't always enough - it's about your enthusiasm and knowledge about what you want to study. You can apply wherever you want, your college can't stop you. If you get an interview, they like you, you get an offer and you get A*AA (or whatever your requirements are) you'll get in. It's about the individual not the sixth form, if you're doing well now, you'll likely be doing well in 6 months time. You may have less support in terms of writing an amazing personal statement etc, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Hi all,

Also, my sixth form is tiny. Only like 50-70 in combined years 12 and 13. There's only 3 other guys in my Further maths class (for context).

If anything, it'll give you somewhat of an advantage, considering the circumstances.
Reply 6
Can the target grades that the teachers give me let me down (due to it being a pretty crappy sixth form), come September when I apply?
Reply 7
Hi all,

Also, my sixth form is tiny. Only like 50-70 in combined years 12 and 13. There's only 3 other guys in my Further maths class (for context).

To answer your title question: yes. Absolutely.

And if your school is "underperforming" then your outperformance is even more impressive.

No your school can't restrict your UCAS choices (and to be honest I suspect they will fully support you - it's good PR for them).

Can I direct you to the TSR Cambridge forum if you need any other tips, advice or just "chat" with other applicants, students and Cambridge admissions staff.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Can the target grades that the teachers give me let me down (due to it being a pretty crappy sixth form), come September when I apply?

Target grades are not the same as predictions. If you continue to do well there's no reason why their predictions won't be much higher.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest