The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary Science or Vet Nursing?

Hi everyone,

I have had my hopes set on being a veterinarian since I was small, however I now realise how difficult it is to get into and have included veterinary nursing and Bioveterinary science as back-up options on my UCAS application.

I am just wondering (if I receive no offers for vetmed) which degree would be more viable? I am worried that Biovet is too broad and doesn't lead to any career opportunities within the veterinary sector however alternatively I don't feel vet nursing will challenge me or offer much progression in the scientific field. I don't feel like a post-graduate degree in vet med would be possible either due to financial reasons so my choices are limited.
Would appreciate some advice from people who are taking/have graduated from these courses in what progression opportunities are available.
Thanks!
Original post by olivialexie
Hi everyone,

I have had my hopes set on being a veterinarian since I was small, however I now realise how difficult it is to get into and have included veterinary nursing and Bioveterinary science as back-up options on my UCAS application.

I am just wondering (if I receive no offers for vetmed) which degree would be more viable? I am worried that Biovet is too broad and doesn't lead to any career opportunities within the veterinary sector however alternatively I don't feel vet nursing will challenge me or offer much progression in the scientific field. I don't feel like a post-graduate degree in vet med would be possible either due to financial reasons so my choices are limited.
Would appreciate some advice from people who are taking/have graduated from these courses in what progression opportunities are available.
Thanks!

I did biovet, however I went on to do vetmed after the degree. A lot of students doing biovet with me went on to do a PGCE and became teachers. Some of them went to work in labs, one of them worked in nationwide laboratories testing animal samples. One of them works in a zoo now. There are plenty of careers to go into as a biovet graduate, however the jobs are less 'hands on' with animals unlike being a veterinary nurse.

I did consider nursing when I didn't get in to do vet med, however it was always my dream to be a vet, and I felt that whilst I would be happy being a nurse, it wouldn't have been enough for me as I felt I would never be truly happy working alongside vets when that had always been my dream. Between degrees I did work as a student vet nurse (without training) and I had the exact same feeling. I did enjoy the job, it was very hands on, but I found myself wanting more. Nurses however these days do get to do a lot more than they used to do. They can do consults, dentals (minus extractions) and minor surgical procedures if they don't involve entering a body cavity (external lump removals etc), so the job has become a lot more surgical over the years. Vet nursing can be just as challenging, and you can progress and do external qualifications and even work within referral hospitals if you wanted, so don't let that put you off.

It's a personal thing, you need to decide whether you would be happy in a lab based job without much animal interaction, or whether you would be happy as a nurse getting lots of hands on experience however not quite doing the job you've always hoped to do.

Vet med is difficult to get into, however it's not impossible. What is holding you back from doing veterinary science? As a grad student it is difficult financing a second degree but I manage, and some of my friends manage without input from family paying for fees, so it is possible, but it is difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olivialexie
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi Olivia, I am in the exact same position as you right now. I had bioveterinary sciences as my firm and vet nursing as my insurance, but I didn't get into my firm I got into my insurance. However, I'm sure you've seen the news about A-level exams this year. I should be able to choose from bioveterinary sciences at the RVC or vet nursing at the RVC

What did you pick in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending