The Student Room Group

What the HELL is "Cultural Appropriation"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Seriously, is this the same person behind the ChaosKass account?

Hey I remember ChaosKass! What happened to her?

Original post by queen-bee
Brings back memories :mmm:

Of what?

Original post by RadicalCentrist
Have you got the 'tism?

Are you also Ttingtox?
Original post by AshEntropy
Yes but.. what's wrong with appreciating other cultures? Are these people insane?

I don't know, but you should know that "appropriating" and "appreciating" are different words that mean totally different things.
Reply 22
Original post by SmashConcept
I don't know, but you should know that "appropriating" and "appreciating" are different words that mean totally different things.

Yes, I do know that.

What I'm saying is, how am I "taking" their culture? I'm just appreciating it.
Lol it's just a BS SJW thing. There was a video of some girl harassing a taxi driver for having an Haiwaiin doll in his taxi and boy did she get a load of backlash.

These are the reasons why the rest of the world are sick and tired of these new gen SJWs and why Trump is where he is today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Google22
There was a video of some girl harassing a taxi driver for having an Haiwaiin doll in his taxi

Lol.. where is all this stupid behaviour coming from?
You've been on tumblr for how long, and this is only the first troll you encounter?
You have an active tumblr and you've only just found this? I ran into it pretty quick. Had to stop using tumblr in the end because I ended up following anti-sjw accounts who then ended up making the same points in the same arguments over and over and cleaning up my account to follow different things would've taken hours. Shame.

Cultural appropriation is definitely one of the strangest sjw concepts, I've heard a sensible version of it which is basically just don't make a mockery of things that have deep spiritual meaning (dream catcher tattoos and so on), which I personally don't quite agree fully with but I at least understand the reasoning. But then as soon as you take it further than that and say that taking anything from any other culture is bad, suddenly everything stops making sense as most major countries and cultures are a result of people adopting customs of other cultures anyway. And most people don't actually care when their culture is supposedly "appropriated". It prevents you from learning other languages ffs, it's the height of idiocy.

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Seriously, is this the same person behind the ChaosKass account?

You know what I was wondering that recently as well.
Reply 27
@Glassapple What do you think on this topic?
Reply 28
Original post by Retired_Messiah
x

I'm glad that you think it's a load of rubbish, I value your opinion a lot :h:

Original post by Another
You've been on tumblr for how long, and this is only the first troll you encounter?

I've been on Tumblr since I was about 14/15. I'm 18 now. I don't think this message was trolling, because apparently it's quite common on Tumblr.
As I understand it (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) cultural appropriation is taking elements of another culture and using them in an inappropriate way. For example, taking religious symbols or traditional garments and using them as a fashion statement, thus removing the cultural significance of them.

It doesn't apply to people just appreciating the culture; you can enjoy and be interested by things like music, language, religion, clothing, etc without it being cultural appropriation. Clearly the person who said that to you was an absolute idiot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by rainbow.panda
x

It seems there are a lot of these absolute idiots on Tumblr
Reply 31
Why do they have to make Tumblr a pain to be on, I really like all the pretty GIFs :angry:
Reply 32
We live in a world where you can say whatever you like but it's better to keep quiet cause someone somewhere will get offended
Cultural appropriation is a legit concept, but Tumblr frequently takes it much too far. It generally refers to taking aspects of another culture out of the original context or using aspects of another culture for profit, without permission. Searching "cultural appropriation anthropology" will likely yield more reliable information than Tumblr, if you're interested.

Oh, just to clarify: this doesn't apply to all aspects of any given culture. If the people of a culture sell or trade the aspect, then it's not cultural appropriate because it's being willingly shared. Learning a foreign language isn't cultural appropriate, nor is eating traditional foods, listening to traditional music, etc., etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's when races who are not white wear jeans. Also when people who are not Eastern European drink vodka.
Reply 35
Original post by Nottie
We live in a world where you can say whatever you like but it's better to keep quiet cause someone somewhere will get offended

Yeah, anything upsets the Tumblrinas!

Original post by stripystockings
Cultural appropriation is a legit anthropological concept, but Tumblr frequently takes it much too far. It generally refers to taking aspects of another culture out of the original context or using aspects of another culture for profit, without permission. Searching "cultural appropriation anthropology" will likely yield more reliable information than Tumblr, if you're interested.

Still.. it seems there are far more problems on a planet that something that petty.
Original post by AshEntropy
Yes, I do know that.

What I'm saying is, how am I "taking" their culture? I'm just appreciating it.

I don't know, I kind of glossed over your post and just responded to the title.
Reply 37
Original post by Sabertooth
It's when races who are not white wear jeans. Also when people who are not Eastern European drink vodka.

The Tumblrinas strike again, eh? :angry:

Original post by SmashConcept
I don't know, I kind of glossed over your post and just responded to the title.

Right... :colonhash:
Reply 38
Original post by Sabertooth

By the way, I love the GIF in your signature c:
Reply 39
To all the Tumblrinas - :stink:

Quick Reply

Latest