The Student Room Group

Pets at university?

I have two Kubra seahorses, strange pet I know, they are absolutely tiny and I love them too much to leave them at home. Also my family doesn't know their feeding routine or how to take care of them. Will I be allowed to take them to uni?
Pretty sure every student accommodation is no pets allowed. Obviously sea horses aren't going to create any issues which you can hear/smell etc so the only problem you'd have to solve is ensuring you find accommodation where you don't have a cleaner/etc who comes in your room. In that situation you'd still have inspections but for 2-3 occasions per year you could probably take them elsewhere? Your other option would be a private let, most will still be 0 pets but private landlords will be more willing to discuss it and given concerns are mess/smell/damage then most would allow fish/sea horses.
Reply 2
Original post by doodle_333
Pretty sure every student accommodation is no pets allowed. Obviously sea horses aren't going to create any issues which you can hear/smell etc so the only problem you'd have to solve is ensuring you find accommodation where you don't have a cleaner/etc who comes in your room. In that situation you'd still have inspections but for 2-3 occasions per year you could probably take them elsewhere? Your other option would be a private let, most will still be 0 pets but private landlords will be more willing to discuss it and given concerns are mess/smell/damage then most would allow fish/sea horses.

Do you know whether the cleaners/inspectors look in.wardrobes etc? I could hide them briefly the seahorses aren't the biggest fans of light anyway so I doubt they'd mind too much
Original post by Lozza.x
Do you know whether the cleaners/inspectors look in.wardrobes etc? I could hide them briefly the seahorses aren't the biggest fans of light anyway so I doubt they'd mind too much

This may work. I never lived anywhere we had a room cleaner but from what I heard/saw they do bathrooms and a quick hoover, they won't actually tidy up or do anything too involved so the wardrobe would probably be fine. As far as inspections I think if you're present and everything looks clean/tidy/well kept they don't look too closely, I have had my wardrobe opened before though. Depending on the size of the tank you could cover it with some clothes so it just looks like a pile of clothes on the floor?
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
This may work. I never lived anywhere we had a room cleaner but from what I heard/saw they do bathrooms and a quick hoover, they won't actually tidy up or do anything too involved so the wardrobe would probably be fine. As far as inspections I think if you're present and everything looks clean/tidy/well kept they don't look too closely, I have had my wardrobe opened before though. Depending on the size of the tank you could cover it with some clothes so it just looks like a pile of clothes on the floor?

This seems so doable thank you so much
Original post by Lozza.x
I have two Kubra seahorses, strange pet I know, they are absolutely tiny and I love them too much to leave them at home. Also my family doesn't know their feeding routine or how to take care of them. Will I be allowed to take them to uni?

What doodle has told you is pretty sound advice, strictly speaking they are pets and forbidden. She made a good point about private accommodation possibly allowing them. I think we gad a goldfish in our student house.

Look at your uni agreement for accommodation and see what it says. Also ask on the forum for your uni as any student in their accomm can tell you what its like. It might be the cleaners say nothing, but would it be a big tank or just goldfish bowl size?
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
What doodle has told you is pretty sound advice, strictly speaking they are pets and forbidden. She made a good point about private accommodation possibly allowing them. I think we gad a goldfish in our student house.
Look at your uni agreement for accommodation and see what it says. Also ask on the forum for your uni as any student in their accomm can tell you what its like. It might be the cleaners say nothing, but would it be a big tank or just goldfish bowl size?

I've only got two little ones so the tank would be maybe 18/20litres if that? I've been offered a place at Southampton and have checked their policies and haven't found anything that explicitly says they don't allow pets im just assuming as most accommodation doesn't allow them
Original post by Lozza.x
I've only got two little ones so the tank would be maybe 18/20litres if that? I've been offered a place at Southampton and have checked their policies and haven't found anything that explicitly says they don't allow pets im just assuming as most accommodation doesn't allow them

Just checked for you in the uni agreement and yes pets are covered. If you are going into Halls. it counts as misconduct, whih follows the normal route of warnings , fines, termination etc. Its not the smartest way to start out.

Ask on the shampton uni forum. If a cleaner sees a fishtank they may very well report it. Maybe you could contact the hall manager and see if you cna persuade them or ho for the first term and see what its like then move them in the second. Iverall I think its a bad idea. Might be more feasible in non hall residence i.e student house. You would only have the other housemates then. Again its complete pot lick with hosuemates some cna be great and others not nice at all.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/2614208DE5D449AE93BAF728EBB0C617/Halls_Contract_and_Regulations_201617.pdf
Reply 8
Just checked for you in the uni agreement and yes pets are covered. If you are going into Halls. it counts as misconduct, whih follows the normal route of warnings , fines, termination etc. Its not the smartest way to start out.

Ask on the shampton uni forum. If a cleaner sees a fishtank they may very well report it. Maybe you could contact the hall manager and see if you cna persuade them or ho for the first term and see what its like then move them in the second. Iverall I think its a bad idea. Might be more feasible in non hall residence i.e student house. You would only have the other housemates then. Again its complete pot lick with hosuemates some cna be great and others not nice at all.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/2614208DE5D449AE93BAF728EBB0C617/Halls_Contract_and_Regulations_201617.pdf

The file attached was really helpful thank you! If worse comes to worse I have a family member living in the area so I could possibly leave them at their home, it would just ovbiously be More convenient to take them with me
Original post by Lozza.x
The file attached was really helpful thank you! If worse comes to worse I have a family member living in the area so I could possibly leave them at their home, it would just ovbiously be More convenient to take them with me

Ofc its the actual rules. Imo your best tactic is take them to your relatives and guage what your accommodation is like. they may overlook them or they may be strict. the manager in charge of the hall where you will be staying would have discretion.

If in the 2nd year you went into private accomm, then the LL gets to decide and they are more worried about large animals or small furry ones. You could probably get permission then.

Its all down to personalities as to whether they let you.
Reply 10
Ofc its the actual rules. Imo your best tactic is take them to your relatives and guage what your accommodation is like. they may overlook them or they may be strict. the manager in charge of the hall where you will be staying would have discretion.

If in the 2nd year you went into private accomm, then the LL gets to decide and they are more worried about large animals or small furry ones. You could probably get permission then.

Its all down to personalities as to whether they let you.

Yeah I reckon I'll do that then, thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending