The Student Room Group

Living on £20 on Bangor, Gwynedd area

I'm a student looking for private accommodation for my 3rd year. Rent for a studio I'm considering is 650 a month, bills included, and I deduced if I spread out my student loan after this has been paid I'd be left with 20 a week. I do have a job, a uni based job starting in January which pays 11£ an hour, but I want to ensure my plan is feasible even without the job since it is a 0 hour contract and I'm not sure what the shift availability will look like in reality yet. I have a viewing on Friday. Any thoughts or opinions about this? Should I look for a cheaper place? I will add this place allows pets (vital for me) and has an ensuite which I find really important due to medical reasons so I can't be too picky either.
Original post by Marikab
I'm a student looking for private accommodation for my 3rd year. Rent for a studio I'm considering is 650 a month, bills included, and I deduced if I spread out my student loan after this has been paid I'd be left with 20 a week. I do have a job, a uni based job starting in January which pays 11£ an hour, but I want to ensure my plan is feasible even without the job since it is a 0 hour contract and I'm not sure what the shift availability will look like in reality yet. I have a viewing on Friday. Any thoughts or opinions about this? Should I look for a cheaper place? I will add this place allows pets (vital for me) and has an ensuite which I find really important due to medical reasons so I can't be too picky either.

£20 a week is not feasible at all even after rent, you need a job with that or more income elsewhere.
Reply 2
Original post by Marikab

I live in Bangor, It's not possible to live on £20 a week, unless you don't go out whatsoever and pre-cook simple meals. I highly doubt you could find a cheaper place, especially one that allows pets. However, most places will make an exception if it's for medical/mental health reasons. As for the job, I've heard most Bangor uni jobs are very very low hours, I'd say look for a cheaper place, and if not you might need to seek other financial support, perhaps through the university, explain your situation and they may be able to help. What might be better is if you look at non-student houses perhaps, might not be cheaper with bills + taxes but that's an option, additionally, some single-person student houses around the area may be an option significantly cheaper than a studio. There was one on ***** hill I was looking at in October that went quickly, but if you speak to varcity/Dafydd hardy they may have some options for you.
Reply 3
Original post by CocoKailey
I live in Bangor, It's not possible to live on £20 a week, unless you don't go out whatsoever and pre-cook simple meals. I highly doubt you could find a cheaper place, especially one that allows pets. However, most places will make an exception if it's for medical/mental health reasons. As for the job, I've heard most Bangor uni jobs are very very low hours, I'd say look for a cheaper place, and if not you might need to seek other financial support, perhaps through the university, explain your situation and they may be able to help. What might be better is if you look at non-student houses perhaps, might not be cheaper with bills + taxes but that's an option, additionally, some single-person student houses around the area may be an option significantly cheaper than a studio. There was one on ***** hill I was looking at in October that went quickly, but if you speak to varcity/Dafydd hardy they may have some options for you.

Managed to find a place that allows pets for £600 a month!
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending