The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harrietcoulton
Where have you applied?

I've applied to Exeter for Archaeology and Archaeology & Anthropology, Portsmouth for Palaeontology, Winchester and York for Archaeology.
Looking for people who have applied to these courses!

Hi Harriet

Have you discovered the Archeology forum? You might find future course mates more easily there than in Applications&UCAS.
Reply 2
I've applied to Durham, UCL, Bangor, Manchester, and Bristol!
I've applied to strictly Archaeology for all except Bristol.
I've received an offer of ABB from Manchester, BBC from Bangor, and BBC from Bristol.

I also have an invite to a mandatory Open Day from UCL where I'm pretty sure they give out offers afterwards.

I'm planning to have UCL as my firm and Bristol as my insurance because Bristol gave me an unexpectedly low offer - their typical is ABB <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeumryn
I've applied to Durham, UCL, Bangor, Manchester, and Bristol!
I've applied to strictly Archaeology for all except Bristol.
I've received an offer of ABB from Manchester, BBC from Bangor, and BBC from Bristol.

I also have an invite to a mandatory Open Day from UCL where I'm pretty sure they give out offers afterwards.

I'm planning to have UCL as my firm and Bristol as my insurance because Bristol gave me an unexpectedly low offer - their typical is ABB <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to the Offer Day at UCL last year - it was great fun!
I'm looking at doing archeaology at uni, was wondering where everyone has applied and got offers/rejections 😎 I've applied to York, Newcastle, chester, Edinburgh and Durham
Reply 5
Original post by eleanor_h98
I'm looking at doing archeaology at uni, was wondering where everyone has applied and got offers/rejections 😎 I've applied to York, Newcastle, chester, Edinburgh and Durham

I applied to Cambridge, UCL, and Birmingham. Cambridge has lots of different routes in the course, UCL has multiple different degrees for different areas of archaeology, and Birmingham allows you to take a double honours degree so they're all good places for archaeology.
Original post by _jamiew_
I applied to Cambridge, UCL, and Birmingham. Cambridge has lots of different routes in the course, UCL has multiple different degrees for different areas of archaeology, and Birmingham allows you to take a double honours degree so they're all good places for archaeology.

Have you got any offers yet?
Reply 7
Original post by eleanor_h98
Have you got any offers yet?

Yeah, all three thankfully which was such a relief. I'm declining Birmingham though mostly because I like Egyptology and the course there has very little Egyptian modules whereas Cambridge (firm choice) has multiple Egyptology modules and routes in the course and UCL (insurance) has an Egyptian Archaeology degree.
Original post by _jamiew_
Yeah, all three thankfully which was such a relief. I'm declining Birmingham though mostly because I like Egyptology and the course there has very little Egyptian modules whereas Cambridge (firm choice) has multiple Egyptology modules and routes in the course and UCL (insurance) has an Egyptian Archaeology degree.

I do Egyptology at Liverpool! What made you choose Cambridge over Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
I do Egyptology at Liverpool! What made you choose Cambridge over Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so cool! I did like the look of Liverpool and the course but after looking around lots of universities I just ended up being drawn to different ones. Same with Oxford, it just didn't the right things for me so whilst it looks like a good course, Cambridge just seemed better. Cambridge has more focus on individual topics so you can follow human evolution or Egyptology etc whereas Oxford was more the practical side of archaeology (which I've done a lot of at A level) so I wanted something new.
The only course I applied to with archaeology was Joint Honours Archaeology & Ancient History, and History at university of Birmingham.

It's the course I want to go o most, with ABC + A in the epq as my offer!
Reply 11
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
The only course I applied to with archaeology was Joint Honours Archaeology & Ancient History, and History at university of Birmingham.

It's the course I want to go o most, with ABC + A in the epq as my offer!

British universities are quite expensive… :biggrin: So instead I applied Archaeology at Leiden University in the Netherlands :wink:
Original post by Iuris
British universities are quite expensive… :biggrin: So instead I applied Archaeology at Leiden University in the Netherlands :wink:

I never actually considered looking at universities abroad! Have they responded with an offer yet?
Reply 13
I never actually considered looking at universities abroad! Have they responded with an offer yet?

Yeah, just received the offer from Leiden this week :smile:
Original post by Iuris

That's great! What do they want grade-wise?
Reply 15
That's great! What do they want grade-wise?

http://www.students.leiden.edu/application-admission/bachelor/application-admission/general-admission-requirements.html

Although the requirement seems quite easy, studying in Leiden is pretty academically demanding for example, students whose performances are not satisfactory will be forced to quit the programme… (https://www.student.universiteitleiden.nl/en/study--studying/guidance--advice/study-guidance-and-advisors/mentors-and-tutors/archaeology/archaeology-ba?cf=archaeology&cd=archaeology-ba#tab-2)
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone is invited to the offer holder day in UCL?
I applied to Bradford, Kent, Birmingham, Reading and UCL all for Archaeology and received offers from all. But I decided to go with UCL :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Iuris

Congratulations! I visited the archaeology program at Leiden in October. I had a tour, spoke with students and faculty. I was very impressed with everything I saw. And the city is wonderful as well. I think you will be happy there.
i have applied for York and Nottingham ( but have decided on York) and got offers at BBB. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending