The Student Room Group

FRENCH: "Foutent" = "****ing" ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anna Schoon
No, it's not "foutent"! It's "fouettent", from the infinitive "fouetter", meaning "to whip". Presumably all the ingredients are going to be whipped together?

@Josb just told me that "Fouettent" can also mean "Stink" (in slang)

So we all learnt something new :h:
Reply 21
I can't tell if these lyrics have been tampered with too..

Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, le goinfre nigaud gros plein soupe !
Cette fois c�est l�heure on le proclame, il monte dans le tuyau l�inf�me !
Je vous informe que rien ne vous alarme, Augustus Gloop vers�ra pas larmes !
Augustus Gloop vers�ra pas larmes !

J�vous informe tout va pour le mieux !
Sa peut bien l�tranformer un peu !
Doucement les roues tournent, tournent !
Elles aplatissent et �crabouillent !
Cet �tre inf�me et r�pugnant !
Tout le monde l�aime maintenant !
Il pourait d�tester je crois, plein de bonne sauce au chocolat !

[video="youtube;ZBjfqHt77iw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBjfqHt77iw[/video]
Reply 22
Original post by Eternalflames
@Josb What's the f word in French?

There is no generic word. ****ing means so many things in English.

I f***ed him. = Je l'ai baisé.
F***! = Putain!
F*** you! = Je t'emmerde!
It's a f***ing mess! = C'est un putain de bordel!
We're f***ed! = On est dans la merde!
The oven is f***ed. = Le four est foutu.
Etc.
Reply 23
Original post by Josb
There is no generic word. ****ing means so many things in English.

I f***ed him. = Je l'ai baisé.
F***! = Putain!
Etc.

French is such a beautiful language :h:

I'm going to try and translate all these songs by myself, since all the lyrics on that forum are trolling :angry:
Reply 24
I love listening to my favourite movie songs from my childhood in French, it's nice to see how they deal with rhyming / English jokes :h:

[video="youtube;NDKpAPJfns4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDKpAPJfns4[/video]
Original post by AshEntropy
I'm very very confused.

I listened to Veruca Salt's song, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and one line of the lyrics sounds like:

"Qui prennent les narines et qui foutent !
Et qui foutent"

When I Google Translated (yes, I know I shouldn't use this) the lyrics, it said that "Foutent" means f***ing.

Proof:

Here if anyone wants to listen:

[video="youtube;VdB3UI5eEk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdB3UI5eEk4[/video]

i thought baise was french for the f word (weird fact, it can also mean sit or good in sanskrit derived languages)
Reply 26
Original post by quasa
i thought baise was french for the f word (weird fact, it can also mean sit or good in sanskrit derived languages)

There are a LOT of words in French that mean the f word, since there's no specific word for it.

As @Josb said,

f***ed him. = Je l'ai baisé.
F***! = Putain!
Etc.
@CheeseIsVeg Do you know anything about this? I know that you really like French :h:

I think I've been beaten to it, was unavailable, sorry :lol:
Reply 28
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I think I've been beaten to it, was unavailable, sorry :lol:

Yeah I've learnt my lesson of being trolled by a French forum :colondollar:
Yeah I've learnt my lesson of being trolled by a French forum :colondollar:

Happens to us all :rofl:
My French teacher at GCSE said that there were a lot of ways of saying it depending on if it was a noun/verb.

Yeah that's what I found when I tried to dig up french swears during my AS levels (didn't actually care what the AS level course wanted me to learn, I wanted the actually useful stuff) . I like niquer the best (to f*ck)
Reply 31
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Yeah that's what I found when I tried to dig up french swears during my AS levels (didn't actually care what the AS level course wanted me to learn, I wanted the actually useful stuff) . I like niquer the best (to f*ck)

Hahahhahaha oh my, I remember looking through the dictionary for those words too :colondollar:
Hahahhahaha oh my, I remember looking through the dictionary for those words too :colondollar:

I just used google, it was much quicker.

Ended up starting a lot of essays in year 12 with some point about the general population followed by "mais je prefererais niquer un vache" and then never finished it.
Reply 33
I just used google, it was much quicker.

Ended up starting a lot of essays in year 12 with some point about the general population followed by "mais je prefererais niquer un vache" and then never finished it.

Oh dear hahahaha, I miss the days of French GCSE :u: I never did AS because the only people that picked French at my school at A Level were native French speakers and that drives the grade boundaries through the roof :frown:
Oh dear hahahaha, I miss the days of French GCSE :u: I never did AS because the only people that picked French at my school at A Level were native French speakers and that drives the grade boundaries through the roof :frown:

Doing french AS is a terrible idea, the way they teach foreign languages in this country is absolutely useless. I'd really struggle to even order a pizza in france but if you want I could probably give you some random alleged positives and negatives of advertising that I don't really believe much myself. The prioritisation of absolute rubbish you'll never use over stuff you might actually need is insane.
Reply 35
Doing french AS is a terrible idea, the way they teach foreign languages in this country is absolutely useless. I'd really struggle to even order a pizza in france but if you want I could probably give you some random alleged positives and negatives of advertising that I don't really believe much myself. The prioritisation of absolute rubbish you'll never use over stuff you might actually need is insane.

Oh yes I've heard a lot about how instead of learning actual useful French, it's essentially debating strange things like Nuclear Power, etc. :s-smilie:
Reply 36

AQA A2 French

Reply 37
[video="youtube;RjL5cAgzZl4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjL5cAgzZl4[/video]

I swear this sounds like The Beatles' music...
Oh yes I've heard a lot about how instead of learning actual useful French, it's essentially debating strange things like Nuclear Power, etc. :s-smilie:

Yeah I dropped A2 because half the early lessons were literally learning random facts about topics I didn't care about in order to construct an argument around them. I sat in the first A2 lesson (we started A2 stuff right after AS exams so we'd be prepared for yr 13) and my immediate thought was that I didn't even know the word for lettuce and they were expecting me to learn immigration figures for France, and then form an opinion of them in french.

I assume languages at uni is pretty good but GCSE and A level are the biggest load of nonsense in existence. If we wanted to teach languages effectively the language GCSE should really be more A level standard of difficulty in terms of the coursework (GCSE speaking tests when I did them were just memorising a pre-written script, somebody with no french knowledge at all could've done it), but more actually relevant stuff.

In my AS speaking exam I got thrown an absolute curveball when the woman asked me "What's the role of the mother in the family?" and I'd already played the parents doing washing up card a few questions earlier so I couldn't even fake-sexism my way out of it :frown:
Reply 39
"What's the role of the mother in the family?"

It's really silly that this is what you were being tested on in French A Level . . .

It really does seem like the people setting the exams know that native French speakers will also be taking the exam (even though I believe they should be banned from doing so) and therefore try to make it harder by adding debating skills, etc, and research of topics into it :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending