The Student Room Group

Strathclyde vs King's College vs Queen Mary, MSc Accounting and Finance

What university is better for a MSc in Accounting and Finance?

I have been already offered a place for Strathclyde and still waiting the other results. I'm an EU student and I read that Strathclyde had a good reputation in Accounting and Finance courses, besides its business school being triple accredited, so I thought it was a good shot. However I do not really know how good is this course/university, could anyone give me an insight?

Regarding King's College, I know it's a world-renowned university but I don't see their Accounting and Finance department in any relevant ranking, and its business school it's quite new.

What would you people choose? Strathclyde, King's or Queen Mary?

Plus, is it worthy to apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh when I already have an offer from Strathclyde?
Reply 1
What university is better for a MSc in Accounting and Finance?

I have been already offered a place for Strathclyde and still waiting the other results. I'm an EU student and I read that Strathclyde had a good reputation in Accounting and Finance courses, besides its business school being triple accredited, so I thought it was a good shot. However I do not really know how good is this course/university, could anyone give me an insight?

Regarding King's College, I know it's a world-renowned university but I don't see their Accounting and Finance department in any relevant ranking, and its business school it's quite new.

What would you people choose? Strathclyde, King's or Queen Mary?

Plus, is it worthy to apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh when I already have an offer from Strathclyde?
Go back to basics. Look at the course content and consider the optional units available - which ones would you actually choose for each course? Look at the personal research interests of those who will teach you. Think about the practical stuff like cost of housing, distance from home. And finally, think carefully about why you are doing a Masters degree at all. All of this stuff is far more important than anything a vague and nebulous as 'rankings' (which is just marketing nonsense really).
Apply wherever you find the course interesting. Work out if accreditation is important for the course and your field (in my field it isn't). Don't worry about rankings. Focus on course content and whether the other bits of student experience are suitable for you and your goals.
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Go back to basics. Look at the course content and consider the optional units available - which ones would you actually choose for each course? Look at the personal research interests of those who will teach you. Think about the practical stuff like cost of housing, distance from home. And finally, think carefully about why you are doing a Masters degree at all. All of this stuff is far more important than anything a vague and nebulous as 'rankings' (which is just marketing nonsense really).

Thanks for the insight. I am more concerned about the employability actually, i.e. what university would give me better chances of getting good opportunities afterwards... I have no idea regarding their links to the industry
QM
Reply 6
Look at placement report and recruiters of all 3 programs.
Original post by kasschaud
I am more concerned about the employability actually, i.e. what university would give me better chances of getting good opportunities afterwards...

Thats entirely up to you - not which Uni you went to.
Reply 8
Strathclyde has an amazing AnF programme. If there ever was a toss up, it'd be between King's and Strathclyde. Programme wise, I'm unfamiliar with the structure at King's but you'd be going there for the name recognition anyway.

QMUL isn't as good, in my opinion.

With regards to student experience, you're better served waiting for someone who's gone there to chip in.
Reply 9
KCL >> QMUL >>>>>>> Strathclyde (can't even be compared to the first two)
Reply 10
Original post by Sammy2534
KCL >> QMUL >>>>>>> Strathclyde (can't even be compared to the first two)

I just don't get. Because everyone has been telling me that the Accounting and Finance at KCL is just nor as good as QMUL or Strathclyde for example. Until recently, they did not even have a business schoo...
Original post by kasschaud
I just don't get. Because everyone has been telling me that the Accounting and Finance at KCL is just nor as good as QMUL or Strathclyde for example. Until recently, they did not even have a business schoo...

Well the overall reputation of KCL is a way better than QMUL and both of these are thousand miles ahead of Strathclyde (actually I've never heard of this name until coming across this post) and I believe this is a key criteria employers will take into account when it comes to graduate prospect.
Please don't get swayed by bogus 'rankings' especially people telling you to go to a certain University purely because of name, go to where the course suits yourself, where there have been successful graduates and where you like the most.

Can't believe people talk about rankings at Master's level too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending