The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by imaan2121
I will be applying to unis this year for medicine, and was previously thinking oxford, however I know oxford is very GCSE heavy, and my proportion of a*s is not very high. Would I stand a good chance at cambridge, or would I be at a significant disadvantage, and also what is the average number and proportion of a*s for medicine at cambridge

"With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually."

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

That said, how many A*s at GCSE do you have?
Reply 2
The average Oxbridge student who applies for medicine normally has a couple of A*s. There's no set number of A*s needed, you could get in with 1-2 A*s at GCSE, it depends on your performance at AS, your personal statement and many other factors.
Reply 3
I applied to Pembroke college for Med and the feedback I received stated my GCSEs were good, but average (8a* 2a). That being said, if the rest of your application is excellent (BMAT and AS in particular) you should be okay.
i am expected to get 4 grade 8's and a 9, and 3 7's o o f
Medicine at cam isn't that heavy on A*s at GCSE, I know plenty of medics in my year who have less than 6 A*s. I only had 5 and I study medicine at Cambridge. I know O*ford are pretty GCSE heavy which is why, in all honesty, I picked Cambridge. Both are amazing medical schools so it doesn't really matter which one you go to tbh, both very similar places, similar courses, similar experiences.. I would just apply to your strengths and make sure you're picking medical schools which look for the stuff that is strong on your application. I did well at AS (they were a thing in my day) and not so well at GCSE so chose Cam. It was a no-brainer at the time tbh.
wow! well done for getting in and i agree with cambridge, being less gcse heavy, is it true they prefer private schools?
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Medicine at cam isn't that heavy on A*s at GCSE, I know plenty of medics in my year who have less than 6 A*s. I only had 5 and I study medicine at Cambridge. I know O*ford are pretty GCSE heavy which is why, in all honesty, I picked Cambridge. Both are amazing medical schools so it doesn't really matter which one you go to tbh, both very similar places, similar courses, similar experiences.. I would just apply to your strengths and make sure you're picking medical schools which look for the stuff that is strong on your application. I did well at AS (they were a thing in my day) and not so well at GCSE so chose Cam. It was a no-brainer at the time tbh.
As a current offer-holder, you will be up against people with mostly higher GCSEs than you. However, if you can displace your GCSE profile with an excellent BMAT score and interview performance, you definitely stand a chance. One person I know (this is quite a unique case) had only 2 A*s due to their circumstances at the time they sat their GCSEs, but did very well in the BMAT and interview, and exceeded their A*A*A offer requirement, now a first year student. At the same time, a few of my friends this year who got all A*s and 3 9s at GCSE got a below average BMAT score, and weren't invited to interview. Don't get too hung up on what you have achieved, now it's time to focus on what you can achieve in the future months.
My college is about 75% state school, but admittedly even though this is one of the highest colleges for proportions at state school, it is still not representative. Academic ability is (or it definitely should be) the only discriminating factor in deciding who gets in.
Original post by Coolkitkat23
wow! well done for getting in and i agree with cambridge, being less gcse heavy, is it true they prefer private schools?
(edited 4 years ago)
Absolutely not, I'm from a normal state school in South-West Wales as are many of my peers. Funny enough that's why I'm still so active on TSR now because it is such a shame so many state school kids don't give medicine at Cambridge/O*ford a shot because I know plenty would get in. I want more state school kids to just give it a shot!
im applying thanks alot my dude! another thing if you dont mind... (sorry) i havent done anything for my cv and im from a pretty average family.... what should i do when i go to sixth form?
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Absolutely not, I'm from a normal state school in South-West Wales as are many of my peers. Funny enough that's why I'm still so active on TSR now because it is such a shame so many state school kids don't give medicine at Cambridge/O*ford a shot because I know plenty would get in. I want more state school kids to just give it a shot!
Proportionally, this is quite rare but as an occurrence this happens every year. A medic in my year, at my college has only 2A*s at GCSE but for 3A*s at A2. Cambridge are looking for the brightest and best who're on an upward trajectory of academic performance. If you nail your interview and you're doing really well at Alevels to prove you're a smart student, you should get your place. Yeah BMAT matters but I didn't do amazingly and neither did loads of my mates who are at Cam. I was in the 5s for sections 1 and 2 and 3A. Amazing advice here though, I would make sure you focus on your grades at the moment and work really hard in school to be in with a chance of getting an offer!
Original post by spingu101
As a current offer-holder, you will be up against people with mostly higher GCSEs than you. However, if you can displace your GCSE profile with an excellent BMAT score and interview performance, you definitely stand a chance. One person I know (this is quite a unique case) had only 2 A*s due to their circumstances at the time they sat their GCSEs, but did very well in the BMAT and interview, and exceeded their A*A*A offer requirement, now a first year student. At the same time, a few of my friends this year who got all A*s and 3 9s at GCSE got a below average BMAT score, and weren't invited to interview. Don't get too hung up on what you have achieved, now it's time to focus on what you can achieve in the future months.
Original post by spingu101
My college is about 75% state school, but admittedly even though this is one of the highest colleges for proportions at state school, it is still not representative. Academic ability is (or it definitely should be) the only discriminating factor in deciding who gets in.

:colondollar: thanks for telling me this, im from a pretty average school, so hopefully theres no bias... anyways i agree academic ability is what gets you into any university
im applying thanks alot my dude! another thing if you dont mind... (sorry) i havent done anything for my cv and im from a pretty average family.... what should i do when i go to sixth form?

What do you mean? Do you mean you've not done much work experience and that? Honestly mate, completely forget about what school you're from and whether your family, "are pretty average".. My whole family are working class and I just went to a normal comp state school so if i can get in there is no reason why you can't!!

Drop me a message and iI'm happy to chat about some stuff to do with applying for med if you need some advice.
Hi guys,

In GCSEs I got 8 9s, 2 A* and 2 7s.

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A Level and have not done my mocks yet but I am predicted to get 3A*s.

I am really interested in doing medicine at Cambridge so are the grades good enough to get an offer? Also, I don't do maths so will that put me at a disadvantage. I got a 9 in gcse maths and am quite strong at it.
Original post by anichris725
Hi guys,

In GCSEs I got 8 9s, 2 A* and 2 7s.

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A Level and have not done my mocks yet but I am predicted to get 3A*s.

I am really interested in doing medicine at Cambridge so are the grades good enough to get an offer? Also, I don't do maths so will that put me at a disadvantage. I got a 9 in gcse maths and am quite strong at it.

That's not how it works. Everyone with a few or more A*s have grades potentially good enough to get an offer, but Cambridge are interested in the whole application - GCSEs are just one part of story. Your A levels are fine, I don't see you not doing Maths to be an issue as long as you have a grasp of certain A level Maths concepts (e.g. logs, exponentials etc) for interview. Your grades are fantastic, but I'm sure you know that already.

Latest

Trending

Trending