The Student Room Group

Losing British accent.

Before I start university, I want to lose my British accent - I believe having one puts you at a disadvantage. Others can judge your social class / status / wealth etc. Besides, I don't like my accent and just don't want to be part of this country anymore. I'm thinking about learning an American accent or a standard European accent. I just want to purify myself by getting rid of all the muck and dirt associated with a British upbringing. I want to be neutral. When others hear me speak, I want them to think 'she sounds educated and is not from the UK, I bet she knows what she's talking about - she's one of them intelligent European lot'. Is this just ridiculous?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John34x
Is this just ridiculous?

Yeah, basically.
You do know Britain is in Europe right?
Looool. Meanwhile Americans love the London accent/southern accent. so you can't be both educated and from the UK? Lol
Reply 4
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
You do know Britain is in Europe right?

It hasn't been in Europe since the 23rd June 2016.
Reply 5
Yes it is. British English is a alone a sign of aristocracy, unless you have that chav dialect. American sounds childish and retarded, with merely anly class to it.
There are lots of accents within Britain such as Northern, Cornish etc
So I don't really know what you're talking about, do you mean the London/Southern accent because even then it depends on what part of London.
Original post by John34x

ok so what continent is Britain in then?
Reply 8
Original post by Meridian-S
There are lots of accents within Britain such as Northern, Cornish etc
So I don't really know what you're talking about, do you mean the London/Southern accent because even then it depends on what part of London.

There's simply too many accents in the UK and each one can be labelled and put into a box by others. For example, you get a lot of this on the trains. A woman with say a London estuary accent (not posh, just standard) might be labelled as a social climber with a working class background. Whereas if you have a legit posh accent, you're your own worst enemy (others hate you). If you have any of the other accents, others see you as a middle class 'Middleton'. Basically, every accent in the UK tells a story. I don't want to be part of this story. I want to be outside of it. It's just inconvenience.
This is his 3rd troll post of the day. John is 17 year old girl who is muslim and is pregnant by her boyfriend, who is also called John.
Reply 10
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
ok so what continent is Britain in then?

Geographical terms in Europe but doesn't feel like it (different culture / values / class system etc).
Okay so John34x you're:

17 years old;
Muslim;
Not really sure if your name is John, or if your boyfriend is called John;
Suffering from vaginal discharge because your boyfriend does the deed too far into you;
Currently hating your British accent because why not;
Thinking you're pregnant;
Fretting over your parents because they don't like white people and your boyfriend is white;
Dating a 34 year old man;
Has 100,000 subscribers on Youtube.
Sure, okay. :u:
(edited 7 years ago)
*those.

'One of those intelligent Europeans' is what you should have said.
Clearly your grammar needs work, not just your accent.

This is so tsr re accent and class worries. Stop being so stupid.

Slow how you speak and enunciate your words properly, that way you won't appear to be 'common'.

I'm happy with my Scottish accent, i like it and most i meet do.
Original post by John34x
I have over 100,000 subs on YouTube. Far more than a pithy nerd like you has.

What's your Youtube Account? I'll subscribe if you like :h:

EDIT: Gunna add that to my list
Reply 14
Original post by Unistudent77
*those.

'One of those intelligent Europeans' is what you should have said.
Clearly your grammar needs work, not just your accent.

This is so tsr re accent and class worries. Stop being so stupid.

Slow how you speak and enunciate your words properly, that way you won't appear to be 'common'.

I'm happy with my Scottish accent, i like it and most i meet do.

Ewww. What do we have here? Get back up North poison dwarf.
Original post by John34x
Ewww. What do we have here? Get back up North poison dwarf.

Troll as expected
Reply 16
Original post by Unistudent77
Troll as expected

Well you would know wouldn't ya, what with you being a dwarf?
Original post by John34x

Although we are leaving the European Union, we aren't leaving Europe as a continent, that's basically impossible!:smile:
I believe this post is satirical
Original post by John34x
Well you would know wouldn't ya, what with you being a dwarf?

Top quality trolling considering i'm not small haha

You don't sound very female here either

Quick Reply

Latest