The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want to know the answer to your questions as well!

I think if you have a high GAMSAT you are guaranteed a place. I'm more concerned on the funding side of things - does anyone know if you can get a loan from an Irish bank e.g Bank of Ireland when a UK resident?
Original post by ducky91
I want to know the answer to your questions as well!

I think if you have a high GAMSAT you are guaranteed a place. I'm more concerned on the funding side of things - does anyone know if you can get a loan from an Irish bank e.g Bank of Ireland when a UK resident?

I'm a UK citizen and got in to both University of Limerick and University College Dublin last year via CAO (like ucas). The only criteria was an eligible degree and a total GAMSAT above 57.

I'm sorry to say but this option is pretty much impossible funding wise for anyone who isn't rich, an irish citizen or who doesn't have a solid amount of (ROI) irish banking history - which will be pretty much all UK residents. Irish banks even are reluctant to give loans to their own citizens as well in some cases - and don't even fund maintenance, just tuition.

University of Limerick do a scholarship programme for those with a low household income though. I obviously applied for this but the slightly stupid thing is that scholarship awards are given out in November whilst you are expected to start the course (without any funding) in September with no exceptions. You are also given no indication as to whether you would receive the scholarship, leaving you with the prospect of moving to Ireland, obtaining accommodation and starting a course you have no possible chance to fund if you didn't get the award.

I went through a period of frantic phone calls and letters to banks and the uni trying to figure out if there was some way of doing it but there really wasn't in my case. I even put a deposit on accommodation on UL halls and could not get this refunded because they seemingly had no understanding of the differences between a graduate medicine course and a standard undergraduate course. Nor did they put any actual dates or relevant or useful information that would explain anything to me.

Safe to say I didn't accept my place and caused myself a great deal of frustration and heartache finding this all out the hard way. I would definitely not recommend any UK citizens (without ROI banking history - which would be most of us) go down this route if they want to retain what's left of their sanity.
Reply 3
Original post by muppetmaster
I'm a UK citizen and got in to both University of Limerick and University College Dublin last year via CAO (like ucas). The only criteria was an eligible degree and a total GAMSAT above 57.

I'm sorry to say but this option is pretty much impossible funding wise for anyone who isn't rich, an irish citizen or who doesn't have a solid amount of (ROI) irish banking history - which will be pretty much all UK residents. Irish banks even are reluctant to give loans to their own citizens as well in some cases - and don't even fund maintenance, just tuition.

University of Limerick do a scholarship programme for those with a low household income though. I obviously applied for this but the slightly stupid thing is that scholarship awards are given out in November whilst you are expected to start the course (without any funding) in September with no exceptions. You are also given no indication as to whether you would receive the scholarship, leaving you with the prospect of moving to Ireland, obtaining accommodation and starting a course you have no possible chance to fund if you didn't get the award.

I went through a period of frantic phone calls and letters to banks and the uni trying to figure out if there was some way of doing it but there really wasn't in my case. I even put a deposit on accommodation on UL halls and could not get this refunded because they seemingly had no understanding of the differences between a graduate medicine course and a standard undergraduate course. Nor did they put any actual dates or relevant or useful information that would explain anything to me.

Safe to say I didn't accept my place and caused myself a great deal of frustration and heartache finding this all out the hard way. I would definitely not recommend any UK citizens (without ROI banking history - which would be most of us) go down this route if they want to retain what's left of their sanity.

Thanks for replying to this. Having looked into it in detail I suspected what you have detailed above - it's frustrating to know that I could get a place, but the funding to complete the course just isn't there. It must have been 100 times worse actually getting a place and being unable to accept it. It's a real shame. Do you mind me asking if you got a place at a UK school in the end? I got my final rejection out of 4 earlier this week :frown: hey ho.
Original post by ducky91
Thanks for replying to this. Having looked into it in detail I suspected what you have detailed above - it's frustrating to know that I could get a place, but the funding to complete the course just isn't there. It must have been 100 times worse actually getting a place and being unable to accept it. It's a real shame. Do you mind me asking if you got a place at a UK school in the end? I got my final rejection out of 4
earlier this week :frown: hey ho.

It really was awful. University of Limerick seemed to have no experience of UK citizens applying (even though there were loads on the UL Medicine 2013 facebook) and had no useful advice to give either. I was told by one person to get some private accommodation and stick it out on the course to see whether I get the scholarship (TERRIBLE ADVICE).

No place yet. Still waiting for Swansea as you know, but got an SGUL rejection post interview and a Warwick rejection without interview (ages after everyone else just to keep my hopes up too :frown: ). I have one more interview with Nottingham so I'm hoping for the best.

You will get there though my friend! Just get it out of your mind and focus on boosting your work experience for another year I guess. This is all horrible torture but worth it all in the end (?) - maybe...
Original post by frustratedlawyer
Does anyone know about the practicalities of this? I've had a little look on a few websites but couldn't find just a basic guide.

How much does it cost?

If you have a certain GAMSAT are you guaranteed a place?

Frustrated Lawyer wants to be a Doctor :rolleyes:
Reply 6
This may a stupid question but im going to ask anyway. Can you apply to both Irish and UK GEM courses in one cycle? Im keen to increase my chances, although may need to sell my house to fund an Irish course!

Oh to live in Ireland/or have a hefty trust fund. :frown:

Hi, I am a UK resident and I am in the process of applying to the grad entry to medicine programme at the Irish universities. I have graduated in 2014 with a 2:1 in a BSc.

I am a bit confused as to whether A level and GCSE certificates are required to be posted.

Any other extra tips would be much appreciated as it seems more confusing than UCAS.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
Here u go everyone wanting to do Graduate entry med in Ireland.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2rntdo2tk

It explains the whole process for postgraduates.

PS I'm a gap year student with acheived A levels applying for undergrad medicine in roi
The main difference is that for undergraduate admission is based on purely academics (and hpat) whereas for graduate entry it's the GAMSAT AND most irish med schools have interviews for mature students.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you sure about the funding, a few of the unis say they have loans available for EU students...
Looks to good to be true, 57 may not even get you an interview in England and some of the Uni's are much more prestigious than say Swansea!
Reply 11
Hi, i went to a Limerick open day where reps from Bank of Ireland had information on loans available to UK students, no previous banking required- so it is possible if you don't mind the debt.

I'm just worried about sending documents in to the CAO, they've stated they cannot guarantee safe return (!) of my original degree certificate (which I can't get copied). I need these documents for an interview in March so I'm apprehensive. Has anybody been through the whole application process?

Cheers.
I thought that was a bit worrying myself. I'm planning to take mine in in person as I have to be in Ireland next week anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GEM2016*
Hi, i went to a Limerick open day where reps from Bank of Ireland had information on loans available to UK students, no previous banking required- so it is possible if you don't mind the debt.

I'm just worried about sending documents in to the CAO, they've stated they cannot guarantee safe return (!) of my original degree certificate (which I can't get copied). I need these documents for an interview in March so I'm apprehensive. Has anybody been through the whole application process?

Cheers.

You won't get any of your certificates back. Im UK student studying dentistry at trinity and can confirm this
Yep. Took my certificates down to them. Didn't get them back and I have to apply to my university for another one to take to an upcoming uk interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GEM2016*

Cheers.

This is new then, and I would proceed very carefully before committing to anything with the university or with housing. Definitely get written proof from BOI that they would fund you and ask them to send the specific eligibility criteria to you in print. Having just completed a GEM programme in Ireland as a UK citizen, I can tell you the banks were extremely reluctant to lend anything to anyone who wasn't Irish. They also had onerous criteria such as needing to be resident in Ireland for least 5 consecutive years before the course started.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just wanted to resurrect this thread - is work experience irrelevant then?
Original post by Aceadria

Hey I too am going to apply for Irish unis for 2018 entry!
I'm pretty sure its a no because the CAO application does not require a personal statement and I don't think there are any interviews either.
Original post by Aceadria

Please lets resurrect this thread once more.

Are you awaiting your gamsat results ?
Ireland Unis for the Graduate Entry Medicine ask for nothing but a minimum of a 2:1 and a high GAMSAT score.
That literally makes me worry evenmore since im only going to rely on my GAMSAT to get me into either ones.

I only applied to RCSI, UCC and UL, for some unfortunate reason i didn't apply to UCD and missed the deadline.
The CAO application process is so under-developed compared to UK admissions, so im really concerned with how things will pan out in the coming months.

My GAMSAT score will save me eventually :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending