The Student Room Group

Any other USA Applicants? :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rissanicole14
:lol: You truly are the best at it, TSR wouldn't be the same without you! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Original post by rissanicole14
Pretty worried I'm going to get rejected from the UK unis I applied to though because they asked me to send in my predicted grades by a certain day (which was about 5 days ago), and my counselor has been out on sick leave for a week :smile::smile::smile:

Aww Thank you :smile:

I am sure that you'll be ok :smile: as long as your counselor explains what happened! Have faith *^O^*

Original post by toridor324_
It's a perfect time as it's a new chapter in your life :smile: I'm trying to think of it as a way to start fresh. You can use the money you get from selling old things you don't particularly need/want any more to get things for your new accommodation!

It certainly makes things so much easier for me. I'm lucky in the fact that I'm going to be able to visit my top 3 uni choices this March so I can determine which is the best fit for me!

Definitely :tongue: #NewChapterNewMe

Yep, visiting will definitely help a lot in terms of helping you make your choice. Remember to look at the courses as well to see which one is a better fit for you as well as the location of the universities! :biggrin:
I plan to do just that, though I will admit that it's much easier to compare the courses online then the physical campuses and location! A photo can only show so much :smile:

That's definitely true :smile: which one's are you planning on visiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton, Queen Mary, and Kent :smile:

Omg have fun :biggrin: that's exciting :tongue: all very different places!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Aww Thank you :smile:

I am sure that you'll be ok :smile: as long as your counselor explains what happened! Have faith *^O^*

I actually got an email today saying they would allow me to turn it in until the 20th :redface: praise the lawwdd

Yes, it's so great to see someone else from the states who wants to study in the UK! I felt like I was the only one for a while there :/

I feel like a lot of people who aren't from states such as ours think it's paradise, and I guess it is when you're visiting and you can enjoy the weather and sights in an appropriate way. But when you have to work outside in 90 degree weather, it's not so fun! And don't get me started on the tourist traps!

Actually, I did a mix of both. I was dual enrolled at my high school and community college for my sophomore and junior year. I earned about 30 college credits this way, then finished the rest of my two-year (Associate's Degree) after I graduated from high school. I studied part time, so it actually ended up taking much longer than I had expected it to. I finally finished my Associate's Degree in the Spring of 2016, but continued to take math courses after I finished because I realized that I wanted to major in Mathematics. So, while I took some prerequisite classes over the summer, I researched universities I could go to in my area with a strong mathematics program. Unfortunately, the only one I could find was way out of my price range. As you probably know, out-of-state was even more expensive, so that was also not an option. I'm currently in a relationship with a guy who lives in the UK, so after discussing it with him, I decided to look into applying to uni over there. I finished my application in November of 2016. I got accepted to 4/5 schools I applied to (Southampton, Queen Mary, Kent, and Newcastle- I was denied from Sheffield as they felt I didn't have enough Calculus experience).

The only thing I can't stress enough if you plan to take the community college route is to take as many classes in the field you plan to study as possible! I had taken courses in psychology, computer science, and mathematics, because I wasn't 100% sure as to which route I wanted to take when I started. Though this wasn't as big of a problem as it could have been for me (comp sci and psychology both have math components), I still got denied from Sheffield and received (what I consider to be) a bad offer from Newcastle because of my lack of in-depth math experience. I managed to offset this a bit by taking Calculus I and Discrete Computational Analysis (both math based courses) this semester, and it helped me to get offers from Kent and Queen Mary (Southampton originally gave me a conditional for a 3.2 GPA for my Associate's Degree, but changed it to an unconditional after I submitted my transcripts).

My advice to you regarding the predicted grades would be to contact the uni's ASAP and advise them of your situation. Most of the time, they are willing to work with you. I had to ask Newcastle to push back the deadline for the receipt of my transcripts as they are taking way longer than expected to arrive. They were willing to give me until the summer, even though the original deadline was three weeks after receipt of my offer. Contact whoever you can regarding the situation, so they are at least aware of the reason behind the delay. I would also try to talk to someone at your school and see if another counselor would be able to step in and submit the predicted grades for you instead.

Are you working with an Across the Pond advisor for your application? If so, I would reach out to them as well and see if they could help you explain the situation to the uni's. If not, I would recommend you check them out! Even though you've already submitted your application, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help answer all your questions, help you communicate with the universities, and help with the visa application if you get an offer you want to accept! Here's a link to the website if you're not working with them already: http://www.studyacrossthepond.com/

Yessss, I'm literally so tired of going to school in 100 degree weather in October :rofl: tourist traps suck but I guess it's nice to be so close to places that people flock to see :tongue:

That's really cool that you did a combination of concurrent enrollment and regular enrollment! I'm doing a concurrent enrollment thing too but I've only taken two 3 credit classes lol. American unis are soooo expensive, I can imagine how the price tag could be a barrier. Congratulations on your offers though! :smile: How exciting to be going to the UK! Thanks so much for the insight, it's nice to know that the cc route to the UK is a viable one. I like that this path leaves room to explore some new areas before deciding EXACTLY what it is you want to dedicate the next 3-4 years of your life studying. I will definitely overload on the classes related to the degree I'm interested in :wink:

I'm still deciding whether I should take classes in the summer and reapply to Cambridge this October, or complete an Associate's first then reapply/apply to UK unis. Sooo much depends on all my uni decisions in March that I'm getting so frustrated ugh. Either way, hearing your story is really encouraging to me :smile: Are you going to complete the full 3 years for your degree in the UK?

I had to contact my unis directly for them to allow me to email my predicted grades in the first place, I'm glad they've been so patient lol. That's nice of Newcastle! If I can't get my grades submitted by like the 18th (they are now giving me until the 20th) I will contact them to explain and find another counselor to do it. I've heard of acrossthepond! I'm not currently using it (I guess I completely forgot about it when applying back in October) but I'm going to check out the site in-depth right now, especially since I know I'll need help getting the visa if I did get any offers. Thanks for the link!
You should also try the UCAS 2017 thread over on College Confidential. I'm an Oxford Maths/Comp Sci offer holder from New England.
Yes they are! Right now, without having seen the schools in person, Southampton is at the top of my list, and I am stuck between Queen Mary and Kent for second. Not that a second choice would matter with Southampton as my first, as I have an unconditional and wouldn't get an insurance choice :P

I think I prefer it over the others because it's still in a city, which is nice, but it's not London. Not only is London more expensive, but I think its just a tad too busy for my tastes. It's nice to visit, but I honestly can't see myself living there! Kent seems to be in a pretty quiet area, which I also don't know that I would be too fond of.

Guess we will see for sure when I visit!

I completely agree!, I would definitely choose Southampton over the over universities you named for the reasons that you are describing :smile: (plus my second favorite soccer team is Southampton so that is a factor as well :wink:) Yeah, but if I remember correctly, Queen Mary is in an "affordable" part of London but of course it is still London...

Yeah you will :smile: it will be an amazing experience nonetheless!
Same! In my opinion, Florida is just too hot. It should not be 80+ degrees in the winter. I do enjoy visiting Disney World and the such occasionally, but I can't stand race weeks in Daytona! There are just SO many people and it's impossible to get around. You literally have to adjust your schedule to add at least 15 minutes to a half an hour extra time to get where you want to go, especially if you are trying to go by the speedway. To make things even better, my old high school AND my current community college are both on the same road as the speedway, so getting to school is always a pain during that time. I guess I have to be thankful, though; tourists do bring revenue and new restaurants, attractions, etc. to the area.

I had originally planned to finish my Associate's degree and graduate with both my senior year of high school, but I ran into some health issues that held me back from doing so. Would've saved me a bit of money, but you can't have everything! Plus, I'm actually happy things turned out the way they did, because I think I would've chosen the wrong university and major otherwise! Community college is certainly a viable route, especially if you manage to get the Associate's degree with little to no debt. The only downside is that you are actually studying for five years in total instead of four: two years for the Associate's in the US, and three for the bachelor's in the UK. It works out a bit better if you've already racked up college credit and good AP scores, though.

I am planning to complete the full three years in the UK. Some uni's are willing to let you start in the second year of your course with an Associate's, but because I didn't have a true focus in math during my Associate's, I think it's in my best interest to start from the beginning with the BSc. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to get used to the way grading and such works in the UK. I know it's way different from what we are used to here in the states.

I would say, wait until you hear back from the uni's in March to see what they say. You may be surprised at how varied the offers can be! I got everything from a rejection to an unconditional. It really depends on which universities you chose to apply to and the differences in the courses between the universities. Sheffield felt I didn't have enough Calculus or Statistics experience, Queen Mary and Kent felt that if I passed my Calculus I class this semester with an A that I would be prepared for their course, and Southampton must have been pleased with my previous courses as they set no formal grade requirements for me. You may get an offer that you are happy with! If not, I would recommend talking with the university to determine what they would like to see in a future application. I know Sheffield was extremely helpful and suggested that I follow up my current Calculus course with Calculus II and two additional math courses offered at my community college. They suggested that after taking and passing these courses, they would be willing to consider my application once more. I'm sure if you ask the university, they would be more than willing to give suggestions such as these for your future applications. Then, you would be able to make a decision as to whether to pursue an entire Associate's degree, or just take a few filler courses in the months leading up to the deadline to brush up a bit more on your subject material.

How did things go with getting the predicted grades to the uni's? Sorry that I was MIA for a while there; I was very busy with my schoolwork this week :smile:

Sorry for the super late reply as well! My notifications cleared out after not being on TSR for a while, and I forgot the name of this thread (I tried clicking "see all posts..." on my own profile, but for some odd reason not even that would load?)

I am in shock that your schools are literally on the same street as the speedway :eek: that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Thank God you'll be far, far away from that soon :rofl:

I really admire your perspective on your whole path through high school/cc. I really do feel like community college helps students find their perfect major without the prospect of spending thousands of dollars on a degree they later find out to be not for them. If I find myself doubting my chosen courses of study come May, I would have no problem taking classes and transferring to a university. I've only taken one CC classes so it looks like I'm far from an Associate's though :tongue: Now I see what you mean with the five years; but in truth you've probably saved more money than you would have in 3 years while studying the wrong subject!

I think it's a wise decision to start from the first year since the systems really are different! I love that British unis give application feedback; because of that I agree that I should wait until I hear back from everyone and take the next step afterward. (Cambridge emailed me this morning saying the Admissions Tutor was out sick and I wouldn't get my feedback until the end of March ugh!) Who knows if I would only need to take a few more classes to give my applications more of an edge? Besides, I would want to do so not just for my application's sake but for my own sanity and preparedness :smile:

Thank you so much for your valuable insight, it makes me loads more comfortable for the future!
Reply 27
Hey!

I'm an American in senior year right now. I applied to five British unis and got offers from 4 of them (St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, and UCL). I'm a dual citizen and have family in the UK so I've known that I've wanted to jump into the British system for a while and think I can help you out if you have any questions. My aunt also works at LSE so I might be able to help with any questions of requirements and stuff. You can PM or whatever works as I'm happy to chat about what I know.
Original post by zee35
Hey!

I'm an American in senior year right now. I applied to five British unis and got offers from 4 of them (St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, and UCL). I'm a dual citizen and have family in the UK so I've known that I've wanted to jump into the British system for a while and think I can help you out if you have any questions. My aunt also works at LSE so I might be able to help with any questions of requirements and stuff. You can PM or whatever works as I'm happy to chat about what I know.

Oh hey! Sounds like we have sort of similar situations. My dad is from Essex and I have a large family over there who we visit as much as our finances can allow.

I applied to my 5 in October and visited in late January to visit the uni's I was interested in. I loved Exeter and Royal Holloway, Warwick was a bit out of my way so I didn't visit. Their offer also would have been incredibly difficult to meet, so I really wanted to consider my other options. I decided on Exeter and accepted their unconditional offer for Politics in 2017. I also hold dual citizenship so I have no need for a visa. We're traveling to visit in June, and when my family heads back home I'll be staying for the summer until term one begins. Excited for what's to come.

Congrats to everyone on their offers. I'll be watching this thread as it is great to read about the experiences of other American applicants.
🇺🇸🇬🇧
Original post by zee35
Hey!

Hey :smile: Congratulations on your offers!

I am curious to know, which is your first choice? :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by CharlieC13
Oh hey! Sounds like we have sort of similar situations. My dad is from Essex and I have a large family over there who we visit as much as our finances can allow.

I applied to my 5 in October and visited in late January to visit the uni's I was interested in. I loved Exeter and Royal Holloway, Warwick was a bit out of my way so I didn't visit. Their offer also would have been incredibly difficult to meet, so I really wanted to consider my other options. I decided on Exeter and accepted their unconditional offer for Politics in 2017. I also hold dual citizenship so I have no need for a visa. We're traveling to visit in June, and when my family heads back home I'll be staying for the summer until term one begins. Excited for what's to come.

Congrats to everyone on their offers. I'll be watching this thread as it is great to read about the experiences of other American applicants.
🇺🇸🇬🇧

No way! I've got dual citizenship as well! You're lucky you get to stay in the uk from June until your course starts; I feel like my aunt would get sick of me after a bit lol!

I got to visit my choices in late January as well. I really loved St. Andrews and Durham but wasn't too thrown over UCL or Edinburgh.

Nice job with the Exeter offer!
Reply 31
[QUOTE="wolfmoon88;70309558"]Hey :smile: Congratulations on your offers!

I am curious to know, which is your first choice? :smile:[/QUOTE

Oh man I'm having the most difficult time deciding. When I visited, I narrowed it down to St. Andrews and Durham but they're pretty 50/50 at the moment. Originally, I was really set on Cambridge but I didn't get in so I'm kind of in a scratch at the moment trying to figure out what would be best. 😁
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zee35

Oh man I'm having the most difficult time deciding. When I visited, I narrowed it down to St. Andrews and Durham but they're pretty 50/50 at the moment. Originally, I was really set on Cambridge but I didn't get in so I'm kind of in a scratch at the moment trying to figure out what would be best. 😁

That's cool man :smile:

I was rejected by Oxford so I am making choices as well except my choice is between St Andrews and UCL :lol: I feel the same about UCL tbh so I am most likely firming St Andrews as soon as I talk to my advisor :lol:

Not American though xD
Original post by wolfmoon88
That's cool man :smile:

I was rejected by Oxford so I am making choices as well except my choice is between St Andrews and UCL :lol: I feel the same about UCL tbh so I am most likely firming St Andrews as soon as I talk to my advisor :lol:

Not American though xD

UCL is like a second asia but the twist is that it's in London xD
Original post by Student1256
UCL is like a second asia but the twist is that it's in London xD

Definitely :lol: xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest