The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni for Medicine HELP

Just dropped out of University as the course wasn't for me and I want to study Medicine instead. I plan to study A level Chemistry in one year therefore completing the A level in 2018. The rest of my A levels were completed in 2016. Anyone know if this gap between my A Levels would put me at a disadvantage?
Thanks
Original post by ewanhughes1
Just dropped out of University as the course wasn't for me and I want to study Medicine instead. I plan to study A level Chemistry in one year therefore completing the A level in 2018. The rest of my A levels were completed in 2016. Anyone know if this gap between my A Levels would put me at a disadvantage?
Thanks

lot of medical schools dont accept applications from people that dropped out, unless you got extenuating circumstances. most also dont accept applications unless a levels done in normal 2 years. research this by contacting all the med schools, email them all and ask
Original post by ewanhughes1
Thanks

Honestly, I've just laughed out loud, you've done something incredibly moronic. Medical schools only accept three A-levels in 'one sitting' (the two standard years it takes to do A-levels, within the standard life time frame of sixth form/college).

The rest of your A-levels were done in 2016 (in one sitting), doing chemistry is one in another 'one sitting', and you would also be classed as a resit candidate because you will have resat the period of time for A-levels. There is absolutely no way you can get into medical school with this, added the fact you've dropped out of university (which medical schools do not accept anyway).
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with the others that this set of circumstances puts you at a considerable disadvantage. If you are keen, you could work your way carefully through all of the medical school websites to work out whether any are willing to ignore both the "all A-levels in one sitting" and "cannot have previously withdrawn from a university course" rules. I don't think this is very likely, though.
it looks badly, you should of researched more before you dropped out. Imagine you were interviewing people for medicine or for any job, why would
you choose someone who dropped out of uni over someone who went through 4 years of uni, gaining all sort of experience and doing other stuff, over someone that quit. It just looks bad, sorry for being too blunt here. Usually people would do a gap year, I'm not sure how many times you can apply after school. Most people would transfer to do another course or persevere with a course and apply as a graduate. I'm not sure what avenues you got unless you have some extenuating circumatances that were unavoidable and wasn't your fault. All you can do is contact medical schools and see their policies and aim to meet them. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending