The Student Room Group

Does M2 and M3 help with A-level Physics?

I don't do Further Maths but I'm considering self-teaching M2 and M3 to help me with A-level Physics- if it would help of course. I struggle understanding the concepts in Physics sometimes but I find Maths much easier to understand. M1 has helped me understand the mechanics topic in AS Physics, and I've noticed that the topics in M2 and M3 have a lot of overlap with the Further Mechanics topic in A2 Physics (which I struggle with).
I know the content and methods involved will not be identical, but there must be a positive correlation between being good at M2 & M3 and being good at mechanics in Physics...

What are your thoughts/experiences? Will it be worth it/a waste of time if I won't actually be sitting these Maths modules?

Thanks, Croissant.:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by LeCroissant
I don't do Further Maths but I'm considering self-teaching M2 and M3 to help me with A-level Physics- if it would help of course. I struggle understanding the concepts in Physics sometimes but I find Maths much easier to understand. M1 has helped me understand the mechanics topic in AS Physics, and I've noticed that the topics in M2 and M3 have a lot of overlap with the Further Mechanics topic in A2 Physics (which I struggle with).
I know the content and methods involved will not be identical, but there must be a positive correlation between being good at M2 & M3 and being good at mechanics in Physics...

What are your thoughts/experiences? Will it be worth it/a waste of time if I won't actually be sitting these Maths modules?

M2 won't really help. M3 might be a little help with the mathsy parts of SHM and orbits in Physics, but nothing major. If you're only learning these modules to help with physics then it's a majoro waste of time in that respect.

^assuming Edexcel
Original post by Zacken
M2 won't really help. M3 might be a little help with the mathsy parts of SHM and orbits in Physics, but nothing major. If you're only learning these modules to help with physics then it's a majoro waste of time in that respect.

^assuming Edexcel

Hmm I'll probably just look at a few topics from M3 and see if it's helpful.

May I know what you intend to study at university? Yes, as Zacken said M3 has helped me with A level physics SHMb but nothing any more than that.
However, if you plan on studying subjects such as Engineering/ Physics then studying M3 will help you a lot. Good luck !
And as for A level physics, you may be lacking the fundamental understanding because of how terrible the A level physics textbook is. Try getting a university level textbook. It will deffo help you improve your understanding. And if you don't you could always ask on StackExchange.

If you arent gonna sit the modules is a absolute waste of time. Dont even think about it. Get a nice university level physics textbook and learn from it. Youll be much better off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
because it's so much more difficult yet a similar field, it will help in some strange implicit way, which it did for me (M2)
I'm taking AS physics and M1, M2 and M3 this year (we just finished circular motion). The mechanics in physics becomes trivial in comparison. It definitely helps.
Reply 6

practically none (less than 10%)

Quick Reply

Latest