The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I've just received an unconditional offer to study Geography at St Andrews and while i'm very happy it also makes deciding which university to go to so much harder. I can't decide between Glasgow and St Andrews - Glasgow is also a great city and has a good university and I like the fact that if I studied there I would have the whole city to explore and I wouldn't have to be on the campus for the majority of the time. Before I got an offer for St Andrews I was pretty much set on Glasgow but now i'm seriously reconsidering, as i'm growing to learn that St. Andrews is an amazing university. I have so many questions about St Andrews but here are just a few;

1. Do you stay on the campus for the majority of the time? If so, do you never feel like you need to 'escape' from the university bubble?
2. Is there a wide range of people from very different backgrounds?
3. How good is the music scene? Music is literally my life and I would love to start a band. Are the music facilities good and am I likely to meet lots of people that appreciate music as much as I do?
4. How is the Geography department in relation to other universities?
5. How does going to a smaller university in a more rural area compare to attending a big University in a busy city. Surely there are more opportunities to do different things when attending a much larger university? I love the thought of studying in a big city and I worry I might miss out on this at St Andrews.

I know I would enjoy St Andrews very much but I do wonder if I would benefit more by going to a bigger university. I go to a small school and I do love it as I have many opportunities to do the things I love and it also means I can shine at what I do. I know this is unrealistic though because in the grand scheme of things I'm just a small fish in a giant pond. I wanted to attend a large university so I could properly learn this and then in later life, i'm used to being around lots of people that are very different to me and it wouldn't seem to daunting. I worry that attending a University that is also small (compared to others Unis) may not help me improve on the skills I personally need to work on, like feeling comfortable and normal in an environment where I am invisible.
(this may sound confusing but it makes sense in my head!)
p.s I realise how deep this sounds. I tend to overthink things, if you haven't already guessed that by now.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Peneps
I've just received an unconditional offer to study Geography at St Andrews and while i'm very happy it also makes deciding which university to go to so much harder. I can't decide between Glasgow and St Andrews - Glasgow is also a great city and has a good university and I like the fact that if I studied there I would have the whole city to explore and I wouldn't have to be on the campus for the majority of the time. Before I got an offer for St Andrews I was pretty much set on Glasgow but now i'm seriously reconsidering, as i'm growing to learn that St. Andrews is an amazing university. I have so many questions about St Andrews but here are just a few;

1. Do you stay on the campus for the majority of the time? If so, do you never feel like you need to 'escape' from the university bubble?
3. How good is the music scene? Music is literally my life and I would love to start a band. Are the music facilities good and am I likely to meet lots of people that appreciate music as much as I do?
5. How does going to a smaller university in a more rural area compare to attending a big University in a busy city. Surely there are more opportunities to do different things when attending a much larger university? I love the thought of studying in a big city and I worry I might miss out on this at St Andrews.

I know I would enjoy St Andrews very much but I do wonder if I would benefit more by going to a bigger university. I go to a small school and I do love it as I have many opportunities to do the things I love and it also means I can shine at what I do. I know this is unrealistic though because in the grand scheme of things I'm just a small fish in a giant pond. I wanted to attend a large university so I could properly learn this and then in later life, i'm used to being around lots of people that are very different to me and it wouldn't seem to daunting. I worry that attending a University that is also small (compared to others Unis) may not help me improve on the skills I personally need to work on, like feeling comfortable and normal in an environment where I am invisible.
p.s I realise how deep this sounds. I tend to overthink things, if you haven't already guessed that by now.

1. There isn't really a campus here. The university is kind of mixed into the town. I've only left the town a couple of times since I got here last September, but I have friends who go to Dundee every week. So far I haven't felt the need to "escape"; I have too much work for that :colone:

2. There is definitely a wide range in terms of nationality. A lot of prospective students seem concerned about class diversity; I'm from a poorer background and haven't really noticed any problems. There's some data here: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/hr/edi/monitoring/

3. If you're talking about rock/indie/similar genres then there isn't much of a music scene (as far as I know), and whilst there are some guitars, keyboards, and drums in each hall, I'd expect Glasgow to have better equipment. The music centre here is more classical/piano/choir stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't start a band. Maybe you could create the music scene here? (Please. I miss bands.)

4. I study Physics so I'm going to skip this question. :mute:

5. There are pros and cons. Pro: I can get up at 8:56am for a 9am lecture. Pro and con: you see a lot of the same people every day. Con: housing shortage. There are a lot of societies and sports teams, and you could argue that there are actually more opportunities per person, since there aren't as many people.

I kind of understand what you mean. Going to any uni will be a step towards being invisible, but Glasgow is probably a bigger step.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9442
Original post by Peneps

It is good that you're thinking about these things and you definitely show maturity beyond your years. I wish I had these thoughts before I came.

1. Like previous people have said, there isn't really a 'campus' but there is definitely a 'bubble'...but this is fine! A lot of people travel to Edinburgh/Glasgow for day trips or further afield to continental Europe during the holidays. At the same time this also fosters a great community feel within the town.

2. Most definitely so, while you will always find cliques and stuff there is definitely a range of people here in terms in nationalities/experiences. However, the spread of socio-economic backgrounds isn't as large as maybe other less prestigious unis - but this is probably the case for most top unis. An unwanted consequence of being an 'elite' institution.

3. Not sure about this - I know that certain pubs hosts live bands a lot (Aikmans for example) but apart from that. We have a music centre and you can go and practice/hire instruments. I guess it depends how bad you really want this, I'm sure you could find some like-minded musicians if you really searched.

4. Not sure about this one either - Don't know of any Geographers on here either.

5. I came from a largish city on the south coast of England and I was also apprehensive about going to such a secluded place...but if there is one thing you should take away from all of my rambling it is that St Andrews is definitely not short of societies/sports clubs and really punches above its weight in this regard. Look at the union website to see a full list of these. I have recently left a University of London university, it was a large campus uni and I was shocked at the lack of societies and sports clubs here. It is also really easy to start a society/sports club if you want...when I came to St Andrews we never had an ice hockey club...now I think its a pretty big deal. The rural-ness means we never run out of green space to do sports, and the sports centre is currently undergoing a massive extension.

I hope this helps. You should definitely at least visit, walk around the town (can be done in 30 mins), visit the North Haugh (where most of the Sciences are) and visit the Sports Centre. Enjoy the views of the beaches and sea from the Scores.

What exactly draws you to studying in such a city? Is it an idealistic thing? I think this 'idea' of studying in a city doesn't really offer much over studying in a less built-up area. Maybe more choices of clubs but we have house parties, less noise and less pollution than a big city?
Reply 9443
Hey, I created threads but thinking people here might be able to help more!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4575884
can't seem to access the other one but basically if anyone knows anything about five dux scholarship please let me know!!!!
So i've applied and had an offer for history of art. When applying I knew for Scottish unis that you have to take 3 subjects in the 1&2nd years but i haven't put much thought or research into what other courses i'm interested in. I'm confused though how you only apply for one for admissions, then do you just like pick 2 other subjects when you get there????
Also I was going to book a visiting day, but you need to put down what 2 academic departments you want to visit- is this only for what you've applied to (if you did joint then two), if not then why 2 not 3???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi people

I contacted St Andrews admissions with my a-level grades and GCSE's to ask if them if I should apply; they said I should. I'm looking to apply for chemistry/ med chem. What would you advise?
Give us some more information then maybe we can help a bit better. What I will say about the chemistry course there is that a) student feedback is taken seriously, b) the lab courses are run much better and c) the high quality of research undertaken there will serve you well in your honours years. Haven't been there for a year now but will help where I can.
Original post by LillyB14
So i've applied and had an offer for history of art. When applying I knew for Scottish unis that you have to take 3 subjects in the 1&2nd years but i haven't put much thought or research into what other courses i'm interested in. I'm confused though how you only apply for one for admissions, then do you just like pick 2 other subjects when you get there????
Also I was going to book a visiting day, but you need to put down what 2 academic departments you want to visit- is this only for what you've applied to (if you did joint then two), if not then why 2 not 3???

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't.
Original post by Midlander
Give us some more information then maybe we can help a bit better. What I will say about the chemistry course there is that a) student feedback is taken seriously, b) the lab courses are run much better and c) the high quality of research undertaken there will serve you well in your honours years. Haven't been there for a year now but will help where I can.

Fantastic. My only concern is that I'd have to do four years of study instead of 3 years because it's a scottish university isn't it?
There is second year entry. But yes St Andrews is a Scottish University and the standard is 4 year degrees!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
There is second year entry. But yes St Andrews is a Scottish University and the standard is 4 year degrees!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll apply for second year entry then
Yes, but in my view that gives you more time to enjoy university life and become a bit more rounded. You can also of course apply for direct entry to 2nd year to get the degree in 3 years, though there is a higher entry grade for that. There is also material covered in that first year which I never did at A-level and it allowed me to explore other subjects. Each to their own.
Yes, but in my view that gives you more time to enjoy university life and become a bit more rounded. You can also of course apply for direct entry to 2nd year to get the degree in 3 years, though there is a higher entry grade for that. There is also material covered in that first year which I never did at A-level and it allowed me to explore other subjects. Each to their own.

More about funding I think then not wanting to do an extra year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've already done 2 years of chemistry at another university

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a factor of course, though it is also true that few people who opt for direct entry end up staying that way. I felt the extra year was worth the cost, though that's just me.
Reply 9455
Hi Everbody!

I'm having a hard time choosing between St Andrews and Durham! I have offers for English from both universities and have visited both as well yet still can't make a decision. Can any current St Andrews students give me some insight as to why they ended up picking St Andrews (especially if you also had an offer from Durham) and why you think St Andrews was the better way to go in the end. (Bias is totally ok here!)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the postgrad residences where you share an apartment with 3-4 other postgrad students (room, shared bathroom/kitchen)? I'm an international student, so it would be the easiest choice for me, but I would like to know if they're any good or not. Thanks!
Reply 9457
Hi! Just wondering, how many societies is it reasonable to join?
Original post by CN2
Hi! Just wondering, how many societies is it reasonable to join?

Depends on how much time you want to devote to it. What I will say is do NOT put money down for lots of societies in the first week-go along to a few sessions before you do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9459
Depends on how much time you want to devote to it. What I will say is do NOT put money down for lots of societies in the first week-go along to a few sessions before you do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, yeah, that's sensible. Well I'm going to be studying chemistry, doing evening language classes and want free time! But at the same time I'd like to get involved in some different things at uni too! Any suggestions?

Latest

Trending

Trending