The Student Room Group

A-Level Economics Essay Structure Help!

Hi. Just wanted to know what structure other people are using for their Economics essays and to see whether I could improve mine.

I currently use the following structure:

DEFINE
ANALYSE
EXPLAIN
EVALUATE
CONCLUSION

I find it hard to get into the 20-25 mark band using this structure. So, I'd like to know whether there's probably a better structure or whether it's just my writing technique that's meh.
Reply 1
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I use the current structure for the whole essays as opposed to each paragraph. In terms of evaluation, I've been told it is better to include all evaluation points at the end (in like a concluding paragraph) to make it more visible, though I think your idea of evaluating as you go is better.

Other than using economic terms, is it good to use transitions and connectors such as "To conclude" or "To evaluate" to make points apparent to the examiner?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 2
Alrighty. thanks a bunch!
Hi , I m kinda sturggling with economics essay . For example , I might know howto write but I dont know whether the way I write or the definayions amd the points it is correct or not . I tried reading the marking schemes and the examiner report and i dont find it useful as they did not really explain .Sometimes I might not even know how to answer the question .... PLS HELP ME ;(
Hi,

I'm considering economics a level. I am someone who likes the sciences as they're very formulaic and based on knowledge. Are the essays in economics like that or do they require more analysis? Is it a subject for people who love humanities or who prefer sciency subjects?
Original post by Jozanic
Hi. Just wanted to know what structure other people are using for their Economics essays and to see whether I could improve mine.

I currently use the following structure:

DEFINE
ANALYSE
EXPLAIN
EVALUATE
CONCLUSION

I find it hard to get into the 20-25 mark band using this structure. So, I'd like to know whether there's probably a better structure or whether it's just my writing technique that's meh.

I'm an A* econ student so I hope I can give a helpful insight!

One of the most important things, that is somewhat obvious (but the best of us forget) is that you need to adress the question, and keep adressing the question!

Regarding the structure this is what I use on a 20+ marker on each point:
1) Point- make sure you define all terms and quote any material that is applicable
2) Analysis of that point
3) Evaluation- this is a point to put real life examples and your own knowledge
4) A somewhat of an analysis to that evaluation
5) Then you go back on forth ananalysing your evaluations, and argueing for and against. Don't go on forever with this but it certainly helps you get your point across!
6) Conclude on that point and BRING IT BACK TO THE QUESTION!

Then regarding the actual structure of the essay it is no so important, however if the question is a discuss question try and go back on forth with pro's and con's.

Good luck and keep revising!!!

Quick Reply

Latest