The Student Room Group

Should I choose economics as an A level subject?

Hello, I've heard about how econ can benefit you in the future and stuff and truly I'm not really interested in this subject (maybe because I have no idea what is on the course and is it harsh or enjoyable). I hope to know from your experience!
Reply 1
Original post by Buna1611
Hello, I've heard about how econ can benefit you in the future and stuff and truly I'm not really interested in this subject (maybe because I have no idea what is on the course and is it harsh or enjoyable). I hope to know from your experience!

Hi there.

Perhaps look at taster days offered by the sixth form/college so you can try it out. Otherwise you could have a look at the course specification and do some advanced reading or short online courses to get a taste of economics.

Hope this somewhat helps.
Best wishes :smile:
Reply 2
thx a lot, that surely helps me somewhat but I'm seeking for experience and reviews on this subjects. <3

Doing A-level Economics will not make one jot of difference for your future prospects. If you're not interested in it, don't take it.
Reply 4
I chose Econ because I enjoyed GCSE Business, and it does help you make sense of the world and understand why certain things are the way they are - I find it interesting though and I can see how if you have really no interest in the subject it would drag on. Have a look at the spec/past papers, watch a few videos on YouTube or just read about the economy right now to see if it's a subject you would enjoy learning about. As its so essay based, being confident in constructing arguments and applying case studies given to you in the exam is quite important too so maybe consider whether you think an exam structured in this way would suit you. Hope this helped!!

I can give you some insight into economics A Level as someone who did it for a year and is now dropping it. Firstly, It's an essay based subject, so it might be appropriate for you if your more oriented towards social sciences and humanities.

I personally didnt like it, but thats just me. You might like it, and if you dont, then dont do it. Dont just take it because its 'beneficial'. When it comes to doing A Levels, you should only pick the subjects your know youll really be passionate about, regardless of how hard or easy they are. I'd recommend looking at textbooks, pmt, youtube vids on it before you go into to it to get a good, strong understanding of what its about or what its like. See if you find it interesting or not. If your not sure if youll like it or not, do it as a 4th subject then drop it if you dont end up liking it.

In terms of difficulty I found the content very easy & straightforward to understand. For me my only slight struggle was learning the essay writing skills and timings for the exams. Theres also this really confusing section in both papers and theyre MCQs but I, and most people find them really tough. As for the essay writing skills, it just takes some practice and theres tons of support online, but it can be tough to get your head around it initially, if Im being honest.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest