The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Finance 2017/2018

Hi All,

I noticed there was no thread started for this year, so I shall get the ball rolling. Has anyone gotten any offers for Cambridge Mphil Finance already?
Reply 1
There's one a couple threads down on the first page, with 50 posts.
Reply 2
I got this email from Cambridge just now:

Dear ....,
I am the Chair of the Admissions Committee of the Cambridge MPhil in Finance and the Adam Smith Professor of Corporate Governance at the University of Cambridge. The Admissions Committee has completed a preliminary assessment of your application. We were greatly impressed with your application and are minded to recommend that you receive a conditional offer from the University.May I warmly congratulate you on having reached this important stage in the application process. As you know, the competition for entry to the MPhil in Finance is especially fierce. The MPhil in Finance receives the HIGHEST number of applications among the 90 plus MPhil programmes offered by the University of Cambridge - across ALL subject areas! You will also be aware that there is no other Finance Masters degree in Europe which asks for a minimum of a First or 3.7/4.0 GPA before students can even apply for admission. We have found that this selectivity at the admissions stage has greatly helped our students when they compete for jobs in the marketplace or apply to PhD programmes.

Please note that the MPhil in Finance provides research-led teaching and is particularly suitable for those intending to continue to a PhD. Whilst it may also provide a strong academic background for those opting for a career in finance, it is not designed to provide vocational training. If you remain interested in taking your application further, please email [email protected] by Monday 13 March to confirm otherwise we will assume that you no longer wish to be considered for the programme. Further, before we consider making you a formal offer, we also need to know if you wish to take any of the Economics Faculty modules that are available to MPhil in Finance students - so that we can stipulate the attendance of the September pre-course as one of the conditions for admission.

This is because students who wish to take any Economics Faculty modules will (without exception) have to attend the obligatory three-week Preparatory Course in Maths and Stats in September, before the MPhil in Finance officially begins in October 2017. We will not include such a condition in cases where students tell us, now, that they do not expect to take Economics faculty modules. The decision you make about attending the pre-course cannot be easily revised after an offer letter is issued.To assist you in your decision, please note that students must choose either SMO6 Fundamentals of Competitive Markets from Judge Business School or Microeconomics I from the Economics Faculty. Also students must take either MP01 Econometrics I and MP01A Econometrics II from the Business School OR two Econometrics modules from the Economics Faculty. See: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/research-programmes/research-masters/mphil-finance/programme-overview/core-courses/ (We are awaiting further information on the Economics Faculty’s courses as the Economics Faculty is in the process of making some changes to their current econometrics modules.)It might be helpful for you to know that, in recent years, roughly one third of the MPhil in Finance students opted to take modules from the Economics faculty, and such students invariably had exceptionally strong backgrounds in microeconomics and econometrics.Please note that attending the precourse does not oblige you to take the Economics Faculty courses but not attending it would prevent you from taking them.

Please note that this email is not an official offer of admission.With best regards Professor Gishan Dissanaike

^ not an official offer of admission but I'm just wondering if others got this email.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jimmyt92

Dear ....,
I am the Chair of the Admissions Committee of the Cambridge MPhil in Finance and the Adam Smith Professor of Corporate Governance at the University of Cambridge. The Admissions Committee has completed a preliminary assessment of your application. We were greatly impressed with your application and are minded to recommend that you receive a conditional offer from the University.May I warmly congratulate you on having reached this important stage in the application process. As you know, the competition for entry to the MPhil in Finance is especially fierce. The MPhil in Finance receives the HIGHEST number of applications among the 90 plus MPhil programmes offered by the University of Cambridge - across ALL subject areas! You will also be aware that there is no other Finance Masters degree in Europe which asks for a minimum of a First or 3.7/4.0 GPA before students can even apply for admission. We have found that this selectivity at the admissions stage has greatly helped our students when they compete for jobs in the marketplace or apply to PhD programmes.

Please note that the MPhil in Finance provides research-led teaching and is particularly suitable for those intending to continue to a PhD. Whilst it may also provide a strong academic background for those opting for a career in finance, it is not designed to provide vocational training. If you remain interested in taking your application further, please email [email protected] by Monday 13 March to confirm otherwise we will assume that you no longer wish to be considered for the programme. Further, before we consider making you a formal offer, we also need to know if you wish to take any of the Economics Faculty modules that are available to MPhil in Finance students - so that we can stipulate the attendance of the September pre-course as one of the conditions for admission.

This is because students who wish to take any Economics Faculty modules will (without exception) have to attend the obligatory three-week Preparatory Course in Maths and Stats in September, before the MPhil in Finance officially begins in October 2017. We will not include such a condition in cases where students tell us, now, that they do not expect to take Economics faculty modules. The decision you make about attending the pre-course cannot be easily revised after an offer letter is issued.To assist you in your decision, please note that students must choose either SMO6 Fundamentals of Competitive Markets from Judge Business School or Microeconomics I from the Economics Faculty. Also students must take either MP01 Econometrics I and MP01A Econometrics II from the Business School OR two Econometrics modules from the Economics Faculty. See: http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/research-programmes/research-masters/mphil-finance/programme-overview/core-courses/ (We are awaiting further information on the Economics Faculty’s courses as the Economics Faculty is in the process of making some changes to their current econometrics modules.)It might be helpful for you to know that, in recent years, roughly one third of the MPhil in Finance students opted to take modules from the Economics faculty, and such students invariably had exceptionally strong backgrounds in microeconomics and econometrics.Please note that attending the precourse does not oblige you to take the Economics Faculty courses but not attending it would prevent you from taking them.

Please note that this email is not an official offer of admission.With best regards Professor Gishan Dissanaike

^ not an official offer of admission but I'm just wondering if others got this email.

Congrats, What's your profile?
I got the same email in January, its pretty much confirmed. My official offer came within 1-2 weeks of replying to that email.
Reply 4
Original post by midlandeast
Congrats, What's your profile?
I got the same email in January, its pretty much confirmed. My official offer came within 1-2 weeks of replying to that email.

I'm from Australia. I did an undergraduate honours degree in finance, economics and econometrics degree, finishing with a first class and 2nd in my cohort. I graduated from University of New South Wales (UNSW) which is the top business school in Australia and a top 50 school globally. I did a dissertation in international asset pricing focusing on applying advanced asset pricing theory to exchange rate decomposition. I eventually want to do a PhD which is why I chose this course. I also applied to LSE, so I will see if I get anything there.

I was just a bit confused by the email. Why not just send a conditional offer email?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm from Australia. I did an undergraduate honours degree in finance, economcs and econometrics degree, finishing with a first class and 2nd in my cohort. I did a dissertation in international asset pricing focusing on applying advanced asset pricing theory to exchange rate decomposition. I eventually want to do a PhD which is why I chose this course. I also applied to LSE, so I will see if I get anything there.

I was just a bit confused by the email. Why not just send a conditional offer email?

Strong profile!
I know, I was confused too, especially as I recieved it from them at 11pm on a Friday night. It's a weird way to do it, I then spent everyday for two weeks checking CAMSIS until the offer came through.
Reply 6
Strong profile!
I know, I was confused too, especially as I recieved it from them at 11pm on a Friday night. It's a weird way to do it, I then spent everyday for two weeks checking CAMSIS until the offer came through.

I see. What about your profile? Did you apply early? I

Dear ....,

I got the same email on Wednesday. I replied and now my status is "awaiting decision by BoGS. Cannot wait to receive an actual offer!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Annnnnnie0422
I got the same email on Wednesday. I replied and now my status is "awaiting decision by BoGS. Cannot wait to receive an actual offer!! :smile:

How long did it take you for the status to change?
How long did it take you for the status to change?

Only one business day after i replied the email. I am still waiting for the final approval right now.
Only one business day after i replied the email. I am still waiting for the final approval right now.

I see. I hope I see the change in status soon then.
Actually, my status just changed to 'application with degree committee'. Is that a good sign?
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually, my status just changed to 'application with degree committee'. Is that a good sign?

Don't worry too much:smile: Mine also stayed with Degree Committee for couple of hours before moving to BoGS. Maybe degree committee is now busying processing those applications so you may need to wait for more time. Good luck!
Don't worry too much:smile: Mine also stayed with Degree Committee for couple of hours before moving to BoGS. Maybe degree committee is now busying processing those applications so you may need to wait for more time. Good luck!

HAHA no worries. my status just moved to BOGS so I think you were right it only lasted for a few hours
Strong profile!

Hey Midlandeast, how long did it take for you to go from BOGS to conditional offer?
Reply 15
Hi! Anyone haven't received any news from Cambridge? I have applied since Nov and haven't received any updates since then. Starting to get worried :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by abbjulie
Hi! Anyone haven't received any news from Cambridge? I have applied since Nov and haven't received any updates since then. Starting to get worried :frown:

Hi abbjulie! I haven't received any news yet, however, I applied just before the deadline... I think unless we receive an e-mail really soon, that means it's not happening :frown:( what's your profile btw?
Reply 17
Original post by sktma24
Is it safe to say if we haven't received that email or any Camsis update, that we didn't make it?

Hi sktma24! Have you received any updates since yesterday? I'm afraid that the program is already full :frown:
I just got a conditional offer today. It took me about a week in BOGS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending