The Student Room Group

Can you be a chemical engineer with a chemistry degree?

Hi!
Can you be a chemical engineer with a chemistry degree? If so, what is the pros/cons of doing a chemical engineering degree?. I am not sure whether it is good to be really specific when it comes to choosing your degree?

Thank you very much!

Thank you everyone for the replies, they were very useful to me! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rubydiamond3131
Hi!

Hi Can you be a chemical engineer with a chemistry degree? If so, what is the pros/cons of doing a chemical engineering degree?. I am not sure whether it is good to be really specific when it comes to choosing your degree?

Thank you very much!

I'm afraid you can't coz to become one you need atleast a BEng in chemical/biochemical engineering accredited by IChemE (Institution of Chemical Engineers)
Thank you! :smile:
Thank you! :smile:

No probs :smile:
Hi!
Can you be a chemical engineer with a chemistry degree? If so, what is the pros/cons of doing a chemical engineering degree?. I am not sure whether it is good to be really specific when it comes to choosing your degree?

Thank you very much!

Yes, but it's less straightforward.

What do you actually want to do?
Original post by addylad
Yes, but it's less straightforward.

What do you actually want to do?

I would like to be a chemical engineer, it is one of my prefered choices. I was just wondering whether have a chemistry degree would keep more career paths open because it is not as specific as chemical engineering. I was also unsure about the career prospects of both of them.
Thank you
Reply 6
I would like to be a chemical engineer, it is one of my prefered choices. I was just wondering whether have a chemistry degree would keep more career paths open because it is not as specific as chemical engineering. I was also unsure about the career prospects of both of them.
Thank you

Being a chemical engineer is more about engineering than chemistry. If you want to work in engineering do an engineering degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There isn't actually a lot of chemistry involved in chemical engineering; what there is, is physical chemistry (taking thermodynamics into the chemical kinetics and statistical mechanics regime more) and the rest is mainly lots and lots of fluid/mass/heat transfer, along with process/control engineering, none of which are covered in a chemistry degree.

That said I believe UCL have a chemical engineering masters which with the correct options fulfills the initial (BEng level) requirements for CEng if you have a non-chem eng first degree with whatever the Chem Eng society thing is.

But like others have said, if you want to be an engineer, do an engineering degree. If you want to do a bit more chemistry than you would otherwise look at joint honours or similar courses (I think Strathclyde have an industrial chemistry and chemical engineering joint course which fulfills the CEng reqs while also have a fair bit of chemistry content).
Thank you

Nottingham have a chemical and environmental engineering course which has more chemistry than a straight chemical engineering course.
Reply 9
Chemical engineering is actually, Process engineering (applying Physics to materials) and a Chemistry as a degree will not cover the engineering/physics side of it. You can still be part of the "Chemical Engineering" team, as in there are roles for you, but you'd probably won't be a Chemical engineer.

Chemistry degree lacks the design aspect of manufacturing processes - you can do a Chemistry with Chemical Engineering degree if you really want to become an Engineer but are really interested in Chemistry specifically.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
There isn't actually a lot of chemistry involved in chemical engineering; what there is, is physical chemistry (taking thermodynamics into the chemical kinetics and statistical mechanics regime more) and the rest is mainly lots and lots of fluid/mass/heat transfer, along with process/control engineering, none of which are covered in a chemistry degree.

That said I believe UCL have a chemical engineering masters which with the correct options fulfills the initial (BEng level) requirements for CEng if you have a non-chem eng first degree with whatever the Chem Eng society thing is.

But like others have said, if you want to be an engineer, do an engineering degree. If you want to do a bit more chemistry than you would otherwise look at joint honours or similar courses (I think Strathclyde have an industrial chemistry and chemical engineering joint course which fulfills the CEng reqs while also have a fair bit of chemistry content).

Thank you very much for your reply!
Original post by Doonesbury
Being a chemical engineer is more about engineering than chemistry. If you want to work in engineering do an engineering degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your reply!
Original post by mashbbk
Chemical engineering is actually, Process engineering (applying Physics to materials) and a Chemistry as a degree will not cover the engineering/physics side of it. You can still be part of the "Chemical Engineering" team, as in there are roles for you, but you'd probably won't be a Chemical engineer.

Chemistry degree lacks the design aspect of manufacturing processes - you can do a Chemistry with Chemical Engineering degree if you really want to become an Engineer but are really interested in Chemistry specifically.

Thank you for your reply!
Original post by ChristopherHuey
Nottingham have a chemical and environmental engineering course which has more chemistry than a straight chemical engineering course.

Thank you for letting me know!
Reply 14
I'm doing a bachelors in chemistry. But can I become an engineer by doing an MS in Chemical Engineering?
Original post by knri
I'm doing a bachelors in chemistry. But can I become an engineer by doing an MS in Chemical Engineering?

Yes. Even without the MSc you'd have some engineering options.
I don't see how all these people with chemE degrees can determine what a chemBSc capabilities are. Lol. ****ing sad... Dumbasses. Of course a chemist can do a chemEs job.
Original post by YourRealDad
I don't see how all these people with chemE degrees can determine what a chemBSc capabilities are. Lol. ****ing sad... Dumbasses. Of course a chemist can do a chemEs job.

Do you have any examples of job adverts for a chemical engineering role that will accept a chemistry degree?
You have to look real tight. Look for the jobs that say "or any other related technical field"... You can slide in on those... Also by starting in a lab tech position you can grow into a chemical engineer... Look into validation engineering - as you don't even need a engineering degree for it! The engineers are just real *******s like that in the field - they don't want to let ppl in bc they can be real snobby *****es sometimes... I know because my pops is one of them... In the chemistry classes we learn the same things as chemical engineers and on an even more in depth level... Especially in physical chemistry... I even think we're more equiped because we understand what's going on in metal-organic interactions bc of our Inorganic knowledge base... We also have completed THE SAME mathematics... Don't go asking limited people what your calabities are... You can do whatever you out your mind to... Ram it in their face when you talk to them... Chemistry is the central science and everything in the world is dependent on chemistry...

But like I said, "any other related technical field"
Reply 19
Original post by YourRealDad
In the chemistry classes we learn the same things as chemical engineers and on an even more in depth level...

Do you learn how about fluid dynamics in Chemistry? Or process control? Can you specify a pressure vessel?

There's not much actual chemistry in ChemEng, it's engineering, which is basically applied physics.

Quick Reply

Latest