The Student Room Group

Foreign Prejudice?

Never had a problem with foreign people coming to the UK to start a new life, get educated and find a job. However, over the past few weeks they are REALLY doing my head in! :mad:

1.) Two weeks ago I'm sitting outside my building on the phone and two indian guys are standing on their balcony scraping plates of food over it onto the walkway into the building. I went inside about 15 mins later and the two guys were coming out the lift. I said to them "Excuse me guys, but it would be better if you weren't to throw food out the window as it attracts seagulls and could attract rats":question:

1st Indian guy: "But its not old food, its newly been bought" :eek:

Me: "That's not my point mate, you're not understanding what I mean"

2nd asian guy: "Oh,why dont we understand? Just because we look different?"

Long story short, I had the police at the door asking me about a "racist incident" :angry::

2.) Yesterday in a shop, I'm inside by the door when I see a black lady with a twin buggy coming towards the door, was about to open the door for her and she barks "Well, open the door for me then! :yay:" so I stood there holding the door open, then the buggy got jammed in a rack near the door while it was half in/half out the door. So I'm stood there for a good minute, holding the door, then she just walks out without looking at me or acknowledging me! :angry::angry:

3.) After work yesterday I went to the library to print off a few things. A computer is sitting free so I log on. Two minutes later, a foreign woman (eastern european I'd guess) comes over "Hey, I was using that!":zomg:
Me: "I didn't realise, there was nobody sitting here :cool:"
Her: "I went outside, get off!!" :mob:
Me: "What's the attitude for? I said I didn't realise and apologised?":yy:
Then she goes and gets one of the librarians (uh oh!!) who then tells me to shift as this woman was on first?!:angry::angry::angry:

Really had enough of this! Anybody else feel like they are an outsider in their own country???
Reply 1
Sounds like you've met some pretty rude people, although English people can be exactly like this aswell, and are.

The first example of the guys who pulled the racist card on you is just them being *******s, hopefully most people who come to England for better opportunities aren't so ungrateful.
Reply 2
The police were called for that?! I hope they were had for wasting police time
Reply 3
You get ***holes from all ethnicities. It's best to deal with these people on a case-by-case basis.
Original post by ForKicks
The police were called for that?! I hope they were had for wasting police time

Not as far as I'm aware! Last I heard of it was pair of constables giving me verbal warning and telling me to keep nose clean.

I just want to set out stall here though, I'm not tarring them all with same brush and I don't want yous thinking I harbour rascalist views, because I obviously don't! I had a friend who flirted with neo-Nazism and it wasn't for me at all.

Having said that, the one thing he said I think I can relate to, looking back, was him having to take his little brother to local doctors. There wasn't a single white face in the room and the boy, only about seven/eight years old, looked up at him and said "Ross, are we still in Britain?" and he looked down and said "Not any more son, not any more".

At the time I laughed it off and chalked it down to the combat18 meetings but these days I just don't know.
On the subject of foreign prejudice, I side with foreign nationals. The English think there are just 'parents' and 'children'. Taking limited account of biological age. Just two aesthetic hybrids. People still consider me a child at the age of 40 - how bizarre! Children not answering their parents back - it's all so Victorian. Even if we are these unknown generic children, we have to wait for permission to speak? It's all just going to be generic reiteration in flippancy or rudeness? An aesthetic duopoly of parents and children, with corresponding interests - parents believe in the value of the public sector, children want a free market economy. Parents want Politics to be intellectual, children are just interested in Public Relations. Parents want alcohol, children want coca cola. How idiotic can it get? Do just half the English population get married and certainly have 'children'. I will contact the Office of births, marriages and deaths. Do you have another form of classification of homosapiens for forms, statistics, etc. "Parents' and 'children'. No -it's like a lot of issues in the U.K. constitution - purely a convention.

By the way, I'm Scottish. ironically, a lot of my prejudice towards the English, correlate to those of foreign nationals. Is this a good argument for Scottish independence? Now that I've answered parents back, I'll go to bed without any supper!

Many thanks,

Hamish......
Reply 6
Mate trust me Brexit will take care of all our problems.
Original post by Edo123
Mate trust me Brexit will take care of all our problems.

Hahaha. It won't. Decades too late.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending