The Student Room Group

Is it too late to get an A in AS MATHS? ITS MID APRIL

Is it too late for me to achieve an A in AS maths: I have been off school for a while had to go abroad and other things i dont know any of C2 and at the moment i can get a D in C1, I can get a D in S1. Is it too late if i can revise like 4 hours a day? for the next 35 days etc.
I was thinking of leaving S1 till after C2 and working on it everyday till after the exam? Also is C2 really as hard as everyone makes it out to be.
Original post by Notready-yet
I was thinking of leaving S1 till after C2 and working on it everyday till after the exam? Also is C2 really as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

It's hard to judge. Compared to C1, it's not particularly harder, it's just more content.
Plenty of time, complete all the past papers and some soloman papers and you'll be fine.

Use physicsandmaths tutor for the papers, and exam sols for explanation.
plenty of time.

be smart with your time management.

the rest of the holiday, learn C2 content. make sure you know it inside out

after that attempt past papers every single day (do 2011-2016 first as these tend to be harder than pre 2011), of both C1 and C2. ensuring you mark these papers and note down where you went wrong.

post c2, sweat out S1
Personally i would say do a bit more than 4 hours... I watched this guy's video (Ibz Mo) a Cambridge vlogger who is growing fast. He said to revise for 8 hours, do whatever u want for 8 hours and sleep for 8 hours (the rule of 8). Good luck!
Reply 6
No each of C1, C2 and S1 can be learnt in a week per one. I know someone who only just decided that he wanted to do further maths last month, he has already learned an extra 3 maths modules and gets better scores then the rest of his class, you have so much time, especially since its maths
Original post by hatelife101
Personally i would say do a bit more than 4 hours... I watched this guy's video (Ibz Mo) a Cambridge vlogger who is growing fast. He said to revise for 8 hours, do whatever u want for 8 hours and sleep for 8 hours (the rule of 8). Good luck!

Thanks yeah i may have to try that out. Thanks!
Is it too late for me to achieve an A in AS maths: I have been off school for a while had to go abroad and other things i dont know any of C2 and at the moment i can get a D in C1, I can get a D in S1. Is it too late if i can revise like 4 hours a day? for the next 35 days etc.

Realistically if your not from an upper middle class/upper class... no, try getting Bs in C1/S1 and get your maximum possible in C2, then pick up from there, don't worry about it too much...
Original post by ckfeister
Realistically if your not from an upper middle class/upper class... no, try getting Bs in C1/S1 and get your maximum possible in C2, then pick up from there, don't worry about it too much...

Quick question why does it matter which class and how does that have a correlation with what grade i will get? Please take into account anybody could be in this situation regardless of which class they belong in. Thanks for responding.
Quick question why does it matter which class and how does that have a correlation with what grade i will get? Please take into account anybody could be in this situation regardless of which class they belong in. Thanks for responding.

I'd grantee you majority here are comfy middle class+, they can afford private tutoring, have parents who will motivate them, tend to go to a lot better schools.

Here they will say " yes you can! " and they will say " I got an A in A-Level Maths, before the next A* in 2010 " or " Oh I got A* ", ask them what year, as I do mocks in C1 2010, A... C1 2011 D... C1 2012 B ... C1 2013 C, do you notice a trend?

Learn the theory, by learning it do practice after practice questions, then adapt it to exam questions (they write it in such a strict way) private tutors mastered it ages ago I'm sure so it boost their results (if they do get private tutoring) maths is a very unpredictable subject so just do as many questions for the next week then aggressively do exam papers, 1 each day, including school days, C1, C2, S1 one unit each day, so Monday: C1 Tuesday; C2 etc...

Think of the years as inflation, 2010 lowest inflation and 2015 highest inflation, so use 2010 then slowly go up, learning by mistakes will either increase marks slowly going into reality or will decline if you fail to keep up with inflation.

This is the cold hard truth people on this site don't seem to understand/not saying and it'll make you go in exam thinking you'll get an A meanwhile you get a D. Underestimate yourself always boost your grades, look on TSR on google, " mock results vs actual exam results " notice the trend of " Mock: D Actual: A ", "Mock: A Actual: D "
(edited 7 years ago)
Do 2 past papers a day and you'll be more than fine :h:
Original post by ckfeister
I'd grantee you majority here are comfy middle class+, they can afford private tutoring, have parents who will motivate them, tend to go to a lot better schools.

Here they will say " yes you can! " and they will say " I got an A in A-Level Maths, before the next A* in 2010 " or " Oh I got A* ", ask them what year, as I do mocks in C1 2010, A... C1 2011 D... C1 2012 B ... C1 2013 C, do you notice a trend?

Learn the theory, by learning it do practice after practice questions, then adapt it to exam questions (they write it in such a strict way) private tutors mastered it ages ago I'm sure so it boost their results (if they do get private tutoring) maths is a very unpredictable subject so just do as many questions for the next week then aggressively do exam papers, 1 each day, including school days, C1, C2, S1 one unit each day, so Monday: C1 Tuesday; C2 etc...

Think of the years as inflation, 2010 lowest inflation and 2015 highest inflation, so use 2010 then slowly go up, learning by mistakes will either increase marks slowly going into reality or will decline if you fail to keep up with inflation.

This is the cold hard truth people on this site don't seem to understand/not saying and it'll make you go in exam thinking you'll get an A meanwhile you get a D. Underestimate yourself always boost your grades, look on TSR on google, " mock results vs actual exam results " notice the trend of " Mock: D Actual: A ", "Mock: A Actual: D "

Thanks and that's very true. I do also agree that exams are getting harder every year. Yeah i have a few friends who are retaking the year and they said how they were getting A's in past papers but then got a D in their real exam. Thanks
Thanks and that's very true. I do also agree that exams are getting harder every year. Yeah i have a few friends who are retaking the year and they said how they were getting A's in past papers but then got a D in their real exam. Thanks

np, I'd ignore all above replies but thats me.. and they are probably going to argue with me in a minute....
8 hours total revision per day as someone else stated is a good measure, and considering the fact you have other subjects, 4 hours might limit your others :P

That being said, go talcum up your sandbags or knuckle down your camel, because you've got a heck of a road of sweating that revision. Start with the C2 and make sure you know that inside out, and then grind that S1 until it's statistically improbable that you'll fail.

I'm from a working-class family and got an A for AS Maths last year :smile:

Just learn everything you don't already know using ExamSolutions, do as many past papers as possible, and keep your cool in the exams!
Original post by Callicious
8 hours total revision per day as someone else stated is a good measure, and considering the fact you have other subjects, 4 hours might limit your others :P

That being said, go talcum up your sandbags or knuckle down your camel, because you've got a heck of a road of sweating that revision. Start with the C2 and make sure you know that inside out, and then grind that S1 until it's statistically improbable that you'll fail.

Should i finish C1 inside out first before moving onto C2?
Should i finish C1 inside out first before moving onto C2?

Heck yes! Sorry I omitted that. Make sure you get to grips with C1. C2 will consolidate that quite a bit, there is some linkage in the questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest