The Student Room Group

Geography revision

Hi,
I just wanted to know how to revise GCSE Geography without boring yourself? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :smile:
My friends and I would play the case study game. It's not really a "fun" game tbh but it worked surpisingly well. We played it anytime we had a spare minute or so (on the bus, walking home, at lunch, waiting for a class to start, even in the line going into the exam). A person names a case study and then you each take it in turns to name a fact about that case. It might be the water level that a river rose to, how many people were injured in a flood, the size of the radius of a volcanic eruption, etc. If you couldn't think of one by your turn, you were out. The winner is the last person standing and they then get to choose the case study so they'd usually pick one that they knew really well or that the other person didn't. Our record was about 35 I think because we all had different facts that we had memorised. (We also played it for English Literature with the quotes game, if you need any help with those as well!)
^I love that case study game idea!! I used to do that too on walks home with my friends etc! It's mainly about case studies after content so I'd do content work first- like name processes and write them down to test yourself, check with a textbook/your notes that they're right an then make condensed notes on the processes. Make flashcards for case studies listing the main facts for each one and get someone to test you on them by naming a case study and having you read out the facts you remember for each one! Don' forget past papers bc it's only useful knowing it all if you can apply it to actual exam questions so print some out and correct them using the mark scheme yourself!! It's mostly boring but short term pain for long term gain :wink: Good luck with your revision!!
Reply 3
Original post by greghayes
My friends and I would play the case study game. It's not really a "fun" game tbh but it worked surpisingly well. We played it anytime we had a spare minute or so (on the bus, walking home, at lunch, waiting for a class to start, even in the line going into the exam). A person names a case study and then you each take it in turns to name a fact about that case. It might be the water level that a river rose to, how many people were injured in a flood, the size of the radius of a volcanic eruption, etc. If you couldn't think of one by your turn, you were out. The winner is the last person standing and they then get to choose the case study so they'd usually pick one that they knew really well or that the other person didn't. Our record was about 35 I think because we all had different facts that we had memorised. (We also played it for English Literature with the quotes game, if you need any help with those as well!)

Aww thanks a lot for replying so soon! I totally love your game. Will defo try to play it!
Reply 4
Original post by angelscity
^I love that case study game idea!! I used to do that too on walks home with my friends etc! It's mainly about case studies after content so I'd do content work first- like name processes and write them down to test yourself, check with a textbook/your notes that they're right an then make condensed notes on the processes. Make flashcards for case studies listing the main facts for each one and get someone to test you on them by naming a case study and having you read out the facts you remember for each one! Don' forget past papers bc it's only useful knowing it all if you can apply it to actual exam questions so print some out and correct them using the mark scheme yourself!! It's mostly boring but short term pain for long term gain :wink: Good luck with your revision!!

Aahh okay thanks a lot for your advice!
Reply 5
Btw just curious, when have you guys finished your GCSEs?
Reply 6
does anyone even have the new gcse geography book ? :u:cause i dont know which one it is and im doing edexcel :smile: Any one else doing the same ? :colondollar:
Original post by savage8

I'm in year 13 now about to do my A Levels so I did my GCSE in 2015 (I think?)
Original post by savage8

Yeah I'm in year 13 doing geography at A Level!
Original post by savage8
Hi,
I just wanted to know how to revise GCSE Geography without boring yourself? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :smile:

I used loads of flashcards and tried out making revision videos, but at the end of the day it was the more 'boring' revision that helped me in the exam - which was memorising the textbook and case studies basically. (current a level geog student)
Original post by lameezrsa
I used loads of flashcards and tried out making revision videos, but at the end of the day it was the more 'boring' revision that helped me in the exam - which was memorising the textbook and case studies basically. (current a level geog student)

do u have any notes still from GCSE GEOGRAPHY ANYONE ?!? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxx
I just read from the CPG book because I find mind-maps and flash cards as waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest