The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs: 2 A*, 7A, 2 B
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Physics, (predicted AAA but hopefully I can bump that up)
Course: Computer Science
Extra Curricular: Volunteering at St Johns Ambulance, Bronze Grand Prior Award, Silver CREST Award, WISE award. General sports & Mentoring GCSE Maths students
College: Not sure but St John's is close to the Computer Science department and does seem nice
Why Oxford: A*AA instead of A*A*A, it's closer to family and the course seems more interesting to me.
I'm unlikely to get in but I don't want to have any regrets with not applying so I'm going to work harder to try and get the grades for it
(edited 7 years ago)
One member of the trio that is BrasenoseAdm is at today's UCAS admissions Fair at Bournemouth University.

https://www.ucas.com/events/dorset-higher-education-exhibition-230021

If you are coming along don't miss out on a rare BrasenoseAdm selfie opportunity! :smile:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=https://mobile.twitter.com/i/nojs_router?path=%2Fbrasenosenews&amp;lang=en">
Brasenose News (@BrasenoseNews) | Twitter

Original post by dkb73
Thank you! I was just a bit worried, because if I applied for Oriental Studies and Classics, there are chances that I might also get an interview with a Classics tutor...which I'm a bit scared of haha.

Hello @dkb73! Have you thought about attending a Classics Taster Day? We are running one on the 30th of June, and it'll be a super opportunity for you to find out more. You do not need any previous knowledge, you'd just need to demonstrate an interest: http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/working-schools/taster-days/classics-and-ancient-history-taster-day-30th-june

If you're not able to attend, I'd be more than happy to forward any questions you have to current classics students/tutors :smile:
Icebreaker response
Hi, I'm Kayleigh!
What did you get at GCSE? 5 A*, 5 A, 2 B and 1 C
What A-levels are you studying? History, English Literature and Product Design as well as EPQ next year
What course will you be applying for? History and English Literature (Joint Honours)
What extra-curricular activities do you do? Student Council, rounders, Girlguiding, volunteering with a retired greyhound charity, going to NASA
Any colleges you're interested in? And why? Somerville College as it has a strong feminist background and lovely open areas, but not overly fussed
Why Oxford and not Cambridge? I much prefer the atmosphere layout and buildings, it holds more history yet seems more welcoming.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do people think it's worth applying for Ancient and Modern History? There are so few places and my college have recommended that I don't bother applying for joint honours because it's more competitive.
Original post by sp4ngel

Any colleges you're interested in? And why? Somerton College as it has a strong feminist background and lovely open areas, but not overly fussed

Do you mean Somerville? :tongue:

Original post by StevetheIcecube
Do people think it's worth applying for Ancient and Modern History? There are so few places and my college have recommended that I don't bother applying for joint honours because it's more competitive.

My understanding (though I may be wrong?) is that if you apply to a joint honours course, they can offer you a place for a single honours course if they think you're good in one area but not the other. So like if you applied for French and English, they would consider you for just French or just English too. Not sure how this works with Ancient and Modern History though... maybe @BrasenoseAdm could enlighten?

Generally speaking, if it's what you really want to do, I'd recommend applying for it :yep: Don't let competitiveness throw you :nah:
For a computer science course or economics and management course, if I get 5A*'s, 4A's and B at gcse and 3A* and an an A in maths, further maths, physics and economics would that be good enough?
Original post by CraigBackner
For a computer science course or economics and management course, if I get 5A*'s, 4A's and B at gcse and 3A* and an an A in maths, further maths, physics and economics would that be good enough?

This thread may help
Original post by CraigBackner

I'd say it'll be more dependent on the TSA score for economics and management

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Do you mean Somerville? :tongue:

My understanding (though I may be wrong?) is that if you apply to a joint honours course, they can offer you a place for a single honours course if they think you're good in one area but not the other. So like if you applied for French and English, they would consider you for just French or just English too. Not sure how this works with Ancient and Modern History though... maybe @BrasenoseAdm could enlighten?

Generally speaking, if it's what you really want to do, I'd recommend applying for it :yep: Don't let competitiveness throw you :nah:

It could happen for AMH because candidates for History and AMH take the same admissions test (the HAT) - but we can't recall an occasion where it has happened.

Sometimes offers are made for one of Joint Schools (eg History where History & French is applied for ot History where History & Politics is applied for) - the reason for this might be because performance in one subject was very strong but in the other not strong enough to gain an offer. It is not that common in our experience but we can recall recent instances.
Reply 450
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hello @dkb73! Have you thought about attending a Classics Taster Day? We are running one on the 30th of June, and it'll be a super opportunity for you to find out more. You do not need any previous knowledge, you'd just need to demonstrate an interest: http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/working-schools/taster-days/classics-and-ancient-history-taster-day-30th-june

If you're not able to attend, I'd be more than happy to forward any questions you have to current classics students/tutors :smile:

Hello! Unfortunately not, because I'm currently studying in a British boarding school in Asia.

If I choose to do Oriental Studies and Classics (with Oriental as main), will there be any communication between the two faculties during the interviews?
Hello everyone,
I’m an American applicant from New Orleans, Louisiana looking to study biomedical sciences (neuroscience) in 2018. AP classes that I have taken/am taking/will take: AP Human Geography (5), AP European History (4), AP US History, AP Chemistry (taking at 7:30 am tomorrow, slightly worried that I will get a 4), AP Calculus BC (will also get an AB subscore, so practically guaranteed a 5 to put down for math), AP French, AP US Government, AP English Literature, AP Biology, AP Psychology, extra: multivariable calculus and linear algebra at University of New Orleans. As you can see I have a pretty stuffed schedule, but this shows that I would be able to handle a heavy course load at university. BTW I'm taking a bunch more courses than this, but they aren't AP (i.e Russian history, women's studies, English III, etc.)

The required classes for biomedical sciences are two of Math, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. I will have a 5 for math and probably bio (taking next year, seen as being very easy). I’m slightly worried that I may get a 4 in chem, and I allowed to give a SAT subject test score instead? I took a freshman non-calculus based physics (mechanics) class (only other physics classes offered are calc based, not really interested), but I may self-study to take the physics SAT subject test this August. I may also take the biology sat subject test, and I am definitely taking the chem and math II ones. (This way I can possibly get an unconditional).
I took the ACT once last year and got a 32 without prep, but my projection is a 34-36. I got a 1500 on the psat (only 4 wrong C:smile: My SAT projection is a 1580, and I am taking it this upcoming Saturday. I feel pretty confident on the requirements, except for the AP chem exam. I’m really worried for the BMAT. While I am in AP calc BC and AP chem, I’ve only taken honors physics and biology. Also, things are different for the GCSE requirements, so I will have to practice a lot. I have to drive 5-6 hours to Houston, Texas to take this exam btw c:

As for extracurriculars, I’m in the honors math society (Mu Alpha Theta), the national honor society, Peer Assistance Team, I started a mental health initiative (aka homework revolution xD) at my school, I dance ballet, I am the teen ambassador for an international organization about women in stem which I will not name but I’m pretty easy to find on twitter, and I have published neurology research on stroke systems of care, which I presented at the international stroke conference alongside Oxford pHDs and doctors. I will be continuing my research this summer, and I also will be shadowing a neurologist. I chose Oxford over Cambridge because of the cost for international students. I will most likely have an open application because I will not be able to visit Oxford before the interview (if I get one).

Is it more difficult to get into Oxford as an American vs. another nationality? Can I submit either an SAT subject test or an AP score if I have taken both for one subject? If I take the AP Calculus BC exam and get a 4 but receive a 5 on the AB subscore, can I submit only the AB score? Also, how do foreign applicants differentiate themselves other than with scores?

Oxford is my dream. Maybe because I was indoctrinated to anglophenia by BBC period dramas; I will probably never know. I’m also a huge history buff, and there’s something about going to college in the “old country” that makes me tingle haha. I also really was inspired by my 8th grade English teacher, he grew up in Bournemouth and studied (read) English language at Oxford. I apologize for this being all over the place, it is very late. Would I make a good applicant?

Thanks,

Claire B.

Would also appreciate if @BrasenoseAdm would take a look at this and try to answer the questions:smile:
sorry for this being so long:P
Original post by clairelise

Entry requirements as per the International Page:
"Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests in appropriate subjects
OR
SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better.
A combination of APTs and SAT Subject Tests (or other equivalent qualifications) is also acceptable, if they are in different subjects."

It's not harder if you are international or American (or any nationality) unless you're applying for medicine (which has a cap on international acceptances). I'll let Brasenose answer the academic SAT/AP questions (but I can already say you don't need to do so many APs :tongue:).

Foreign applicants (and again, any applicants) differentiate themselves by reading beyond their syllabus, showing a passion for your subject (which for you is clearly evidenced by your impressive interest + achievement in neurology), doing super-curriculars (things outside class related to your subject) and being able to perform well at interview (and entrance test if applicable).
Hey I'm Holly obviously
GCSE's- 9A*'s 2A's
I'm doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Music and hoping to do further maths next year.
Course- hoping to do physics then move into medical physics as a specialty
Extracurricular- Classically trained in piano and flute, I sing in choirs and ensembles, music and astronomy prefect in school, and part of a rock band 🤘🏻
College- I really want to go to either Oriel or Keble because they seem like the best for science and they're in nice places.
Why Oxford over Cambridge? Because Cambridge only does natural sciences and having to work with chemicals for another three years or whatever it entails would drain me so Oxford is the obvious choice for me
You seemed pretty misinformed about the natural sciences course, you don't even have to do chemistry and by second year you can do 100% physics (well 2 physics and 1 maths thing in second year but yeah). However yeah obviously if you would prefer oxford for other reasons then go for that :P. You can also go into physics at cambridge by going through maths however step seems like a complete and total nightmare so personally I'll go for natural sciences at cambridge then maths and physics at warrick, bath and bristol for potential second choices (or first ones if I don't get interview or screw interview at cambridge).
I have to do that many APs to get into American universities😫
Original post by auburnstar
Entry requirements as per the International Page:
"Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement Tests in appropriate subjects
OR
SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better.
A combination of APTs and SAT Subject Tests (or other equivalent qualifications) is also acceptable, if they are in different subjects."

It's not harder if you are international or American (or any nationality) unless you're applying for medicine (which has a cap on international acceptances). I'll let Brasenose answer the academic SAT/AP questions (but I can already say you don't need to do so many APs :tongue:).

Foreign applicants (and again, any applicants) differentiate themselves by reading beyond their syllabus, showing a passion for your subject (which for you is clearly evidenced by your impressive interest + achievement in neurology), doing super-curriculars (things outside class related to your subject) and being able to perform well at interview (and entrance test if applicable).

I have to take that many APs to get into American universities. Plus, We have a core curriculum in the states (math, history, science, English, foreign launguage), so i really have to take that many courses + electives. Put just a comparison: I know at least for AP chem we cover most of the A level chem syllabus but in one school year😵
Original post by clairelise
Hello everyone,
I’m an American applicant from New Orleans, Louisiana looking to study biomedical sciences (neuroscience) in 2018. AP classes that I have taken/am taking/will take: AP Human Geography (5), AP European History (4), AP US History, AP Chemistry (taking at 7:30 am tomorrow, slightly worried that I will get a 4), AP Calculus BC (will also get an AB subscore, so practically guaranteed a 5 to put down for math), AP French, AP US Government, AP English Literature, AP Biology, AP Psychology, extra: multivariable calculus and linear algebra at University of New Orleans. As you can see I have a pretty stuffed schedule, but this shows that I would be able to handle a heavy course load at university. BTW I'm taking a bunch more courses than this, but they aren't AP (i.e Russian history, women's studies, English III, etc.)

The required classes for biomedical sciences are two of Math, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. I will have a 5 for math and probably bio (taking next year, seen as being very easy). I’m slightly worried that I may get a 4 in chem, and I allowed to give a SAT subject test score instead? I took a freshman non-calculus based physics (mechanics) class (only other physics classes offered are calc based, not really interested), but I may self-study to take the physics SAT subject test this August. I may also take the biology sat subject test, and I am definitely taking the chem and math II ones. (This way I can possibly get an unconditional).
I took the ACT once last year and got a 32 without prep, but my projection is a 34-36. I got a 1500 on the psat (only 4 wrong C:smile: My SAT projection is a 1580, and I am taking it this upcoming Saturday. I feel pretty confident on the requirements, except for the AP chem exam. I’m really worried for the BMAT. While I am in AP calc BC and AP chem, I’ve only taken honors physics and biology. Also, things are different for the GCSE requirements, so I will have to practice a lot. I have to drive 5-6 hours to Houston, Texas to take this exam btw c:

As for extracurriculars, I’m in the honors math society (Mu Alpha Theta), the national honor society, Peer Assistance Team, I started a mental health initiative (aka homework revolution xD) at my school, I dance ballet, I am the teen ambassador for an international organization about women in stem which I will not name but I’m pretty easy to find on twitter, and I have published neurology research on stroke systems of care, which I presented at the international stroke conference alongside Oxford pHDs and doctors. I will be continuing my research this summer, and I also will be shadowing a neurologist. I chose Oxford over Cambridge because of the cost for international students. I will most likely have an open application because I will not be able to visit Oxford before the interview (if I get one).

Is it more difficult to get into Oxford as an American vs. another nationality? Can I submit either an SAT subject test or an AP score if I have taken both for one subject? If I take the AP Calculus BC exam and get a 4 but receive a 5 on the AB subscore, can I submit only the AB score? Also, how do foreign applicants differentiate themselves other than with scores?

Oxford is my dream. Maybe because I was indoctrinated to anglophenia by BBC period dramas; I will probably never know. I’m also a huge history buff, and there’s something about going to college in the “old country” that makes me tingle haha. I also really was inspired by my 8th grade English teacher, he grew up in Bournemouth and studied (read) English language at Oxford. I apologize for this being all over the place, it is very late. Would I make a good applicant?

Thanks,

Claire B.

Would also appreciate if @BrasenoseAdm would take a look at this and try to answer the questions:smile:

Hello Claire B,

We are enjoying the May Day Bank Holiday - back at work tomorrow when we'll look into your query.

Brasenose Admissions
Any physics applicants here started preparing for the PAT yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending