The Student Room Group

2017 entry NHS Bursary for Medical students

Does anyone know whether 2017 entry medics will be entitled to apply for the NHS bursary of £9000 in their 5th year of study? There is a lot of news about the cuts to Nursing, Midwifery and allied health professions, but not a definitive answer for the Medics and Dentistry students.
I've been reading up on it and right now 5th year medics are eligible, but a lot can change in 4 years
Reply 2
Thanks @aspirated
Ive got 1st yr dent in sept 2017 do I apply for nhs bursary along with stud finance prior to enrolling or do nhs bursary in year 5?
Original post by Sniperdon227
Ive got 1st yr dent in sept 2017 do I apply for nhs bursary along with stud finance prior to enrolling or do nhs bursary in year 5?

NHS bursary for med and dental students is 5th year only, as far as I'm aware
I don't think they can change the rules mid way through your course, so if the bursary for 5th year med students gets scrapped, it will apply to new applicants only. It could happen to people applying for 2018 entry.
Reply 6
Original post by BringMoreCoffee
I don't think they can change the rules mid way through your course, so if the bursary for 5th year med students gets scrapped, it will apply to new applicants only. It could happen to people applying for 2018 entry.

So for students starting 2017 entry medicine, has it been confirmed yet (ie NHS bursary for the Year 5 academic year 2021/22)?
Original post by Amedic
So for students starting 2017 entry medicine, has it been confirmed yet (ie NHS bursary for the Year 5 academic year 2021/22)?

Well I'm doing the four year course and when I applied for first year loans it confirmed my bursary for future years. So I don't know for sure about the five year course but I guess it will be the same, as people have already started applying for finance so it's too late for the government to change it.
You'd assume that they can't change things like that part way through your course? E.g. when they increased tuition fees it didn't affect people who were half way through their course.

Wouldn't surprise me though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending