The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography new 7036 - 16 & 19 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Hey,
I'm a year 12 student and am taking the new spec AQA Geography course. So far, I've finished Water and Carbon Cycles for physical geography and am half way through Global Systems and Global Governance. I've found myself really struggling with this course since there are basically 0 resources online and no community for this course.
So, if anyone has any resources, tips, information or advice please share below and hopefully we can all look to help each other in the next 2 years and for this thread to flourish.

My teacher is *really* good so now ive found myself jump from a U to a C. What I've realized is that its not so much the content which is tricky but the exam style questions. My teacher creates his own past papers each week and makes us (my class of 2) do them. We have also finished Water and Carbon Cycles and have moved onto Cold Environment.

(btw. This year I'm studying maths, further maths, chemistry and geography)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey i'm doing it to. Im really struggling too because of the exam style quetstions. No matter how i revise, i dont get good grades. We have no past papers and thats the biggest problem for me :frown: I dont even have any resuorces myself.
Hey, i feel like i have finally found a group for geography!

This course is so frustrating, I really don understand how AQA is expecting us students (and teachers tbh) to deal with this change in spec its crazy. I'm just struggling with the lack of revision material out there and the limited number of practice questions we can use, my teacher is advising us to not use the specimen paper as he wants to use them as our mocks!

Idk if it would be any use sifting through all of the past papers and picking out the useful questions and compiling them into one document?

It really isnt helping that in my class, majority of people work at a slow pace and take a while to grasp the concept of new things, which is understandable but we have only completed hazards and almost finished contemporary urban environments. I am not 100% sure what other topics we are doing but i feel we are very far behind. Sorry for the long essay lol.

Although the slow pace my current grade in geography is an A (by miracle) and i somehow score high marks in the essay based questions so I can make an attempt at helping with this :colondollar:

Side note, my other subjects are biology and chemistry(hate myself for this)
Hope to hear from you guys soon, Juliet
Reply 3
hey, I'm doing the new a level too...
I'm currently doing changing places and I have a project to do (basically a 3000 word case study essay type thing) about 2 places... I have loads of data for both places but my teacher hasn't given a title or anything??? So I'm struggling with it. I wondered if anyone has done anything similar?

Also has anyone started fieldwork yet?
Hi, I have done all about the carbon cycle and done coastal systems and I am now doing hazards and changing places, the only fieldwork I have done is when we went to Birmingham for our distant place study. we are going to a place called Kingswood for four days to do fieldwork

The resource I have is a Massive AQA geography text book for AS and A-level fourth edition do any of you have this book? it is expensive
Got the AS in a few weeks and still haven't finished coasts so i completed myself over Easter. Not sure how I'm to remember it all in 3 weeks time there is so much.
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I first posted and I have just realised you guys replied so here is what I propose to do.

So far my class (of 2 including myself) have covered water and carbon cycles, glaciated systems, globalisation and almost finished changing places. We are currently working on our coursework. Since I've been doing a tonne of past papers I'm on a solid and consistent A and admit that it probably wouldn't have been possible without my teachers help. I really want to help you guys too since AQA have put all of us in this horrible position.

I really want this forum to flourish and be of use. This summer I am going to sift through the entire spec and the past papers my teacher has given us. I am then going to create a "super document" containing all the possible 4 markers and 20 markers for the 4 mentioned modules. I probably won't include answers for all the questions but will do a couple so we can compare and improve our answers and converse.

Please return to this thread and I hope you guys also do something similar for the modules I haven't covered (or add to mine).

Until then I have to revise for my maths and further maths a levels so probably won't look into geography until then.

The document should go up some time July

See you guys then!!
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I first posted and I have just realised you guys replied so here is what I propose to do.

So far my class (of 2 including myself) have covered water and carbon cycles, glaciated systems, globalisation and almost finished changing places. We are currently working on our coursework. Since I've been doing a tonne of past papers I'm on a solid and consistent A and admit that it probably wouldn't have been possible without my teachers help. I really want to help you guys too since AQA have put all of us in this horrible position.

I really want this forum to flourish and be of use. This summer I am going to sift through the entire spec and the past papers my teacher has given us. I am then going to create a "super document" containing all the possible 4 markers and 20 markers for the 4 mentioned modules. I probably won't include answers for all the questions but will do a couple so we can compare and improve our answers and converse.

Please return to this thread and I hope you guys also do something similar for the modules I haven't covered (or add to mine).

Until then I have to revise for my maths and further maths a levels so probably won't look into geography until then.

See you guys then!!

Why only 4 and 20 markers? What about the 6 markers?
Reply 8
Hi,
Im studying coast and hazards as well as the changing places topic. For the changing places, does anyone know what sort of questions are going to be asked? Also I'm not sure how to structure answers - like what is the mark scheme looking for? What specific things do we need to know? How do you get the marks?

I have no idea where to start with revision and there's not many resources out there.

Was wondering if anyone could help?!!!?
Original post by Abbster1
Hi,
Im studying coast and hazards as well as the changing places topic. For the changing places, does anyone know what sort of questions are going to be asked? Also I'm not sure how to structure answers - like what is the mark scheme looking for? What specific things do we need to know? How do you get the marks?

I have no idea where to start with revision and there's not many resources out there.

Was wondering if anyone could help?!!!?

I can help you with the structure of 20 mark exam answers (this is what our teacher told us).

Introduction - Define any key terms in question. Introduce case studies that you will use in your answer. Keep it short.

Paragraphs (x 3-4) - Each paragraph has a line of argument. Include case study to back up your argument (stats). May add an evaluative point on the end of each to show "detailed, coherent and relevant analysis and evaluation throughout".

Conclusion - Explicitly answer the question. Back up with key points. Can add evaluative points. Talk about spatial (space) and temporal (time) change/sustainability (mark scheme specifically mentions this to reach Level 4 (16-20 marks))
The two assessment objectives (AOs) that you need to include are A01 (show knowledge) and A02 (application).

I hope this helps. Do feel free to ask any more questions that you do have and I'll be happy to help.
Hi everyone.
I found some resources finally.
Try
Physics and maths tutor
They have a geography section now.
OP, would you be able to post any of the questions your teacher has used in your mock exams? Thanks
Original post by Speedbird129
I can help you with the structure of 20 mark exam answers (this is what our teacher told us).

Introduction - Define any key terms in question. Introduce case studies that you will use in your answer. Keep it short.

Paragraphs (x 3-4) - Each paragraph has a line of argument. Include case study to back up your argument (stats). May add an evaluative point on the end of each to show "detailed, coherent and relevant analysis and evaluation throughout".

Conclusion - Explicitly answer the question. Back up with key points. Can add evaluative points. Talk about spatial (space) and temporal (time) change/sustainability (mark scheme specifically mentions this to reach Level 4 (16-20 marks))
The two assessment objectives (AOs) that you need to include are A01 (show knowledge) and A02 (application).

I hope this helps. Do feel free to ask any more questions that you do have and I'll be happy to help.

Do you have any revision material/notes? for changing places
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Hey guys,

See you guys then!!

do you have any changing places revision material or notes?
Original post by adz-x-kii
do you have any changing places revision material or notes?

you can use snaprevise to make geaography notes
Original post by Mahnoor tariq
you can use snaprevise to make geaography notes

you have any notes?
you have any notes?

yes I started making notes by watching their video tutorials
Original post by Mahnoor tariq
yes I started making notes by watching their video tutorials

i cant afford it :frown:
i cant afford it :frown:

If you make an account with them you get the first section videos for free but its on the water and carbon cycle. (7 videos)
Do you have any revision material/notes? for changing places

I don't do changing places unfortunately or we don't do it this year anyway. The only thing I can provide you with are the notes I've got from the maths and physics tutor website on changing places. (Probably more if you search around but hope this helps!)

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Geography/A-level/Notes/AQA/Changing-Places/Set-A/Notes%20on%20Changing%20Places%20-%20AQA%20Geography%20A-level.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending