The Student Room Group

A level AQA Geography AS-level Resit

Hi

I have no idea if a thread has already been started for this. I have two exams next week and they are resits of the geography AS level. I have unit 1 on 16/05/17 and unit 2 19/05/17. I sat the unit 1 and unit 2 papers last year which I did not do so well in.

If anyone has any predictions, some last minute revision tips that would be really helpful. If you are someone who has already passed this exam, your tips to achieve a better grade would be helpful too.

Thanks

P.S the specification for this subject has changed, this will be the last time these types of papers are set.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gev27
Hi

I have no idea if a thread has already been started for this. I have two exams next week and they are resits of the geography AS level. I have unit 1 on 16/05/17 and unit 2 19/05/17. I sat the unit 1 and unit 2 papers last year which I did not do so well in.

If anyone has any predictions, some last minute revision tips that would be really helpful. If you are someone who has already passed this exam, your tips to achieve a better grade would be helpful too.

Thanks

P.S the specification for this subject has changed, this will be the last time these types of papers are set.

Hi, I'm resitting geography too but just the second paper.
I got an A in the other paper and for my topics I did a lot of case study cards for population, health, rivers and coasts and a lot of cramming.
For the second paper, I reckon that the first part of paper 2 which is usually either populations or rivers will probably be more likely to be populations this year. They usually do one off one on every year however they have repeated rivers for 2 years but this was a few years ago.
From what I remember, spearmans rank came up last year so I find it unlikely it will come up again. I wouldn't be surprised to get given a few graphs in the first section and to state advantages/disadvantages of the graphs and comment on population growth etc.
As for fieldwork, I think the study map question came up last year so I find that unlikely to come up. I'm sure that a question on primary data collection will come up.

Good luck for the unit 1 and 2! Can't imagine how much revision you'd need to do for unit 1 along with this years stuff.
What did you get in the papers by the way? I did bad in paper 2 and I wasn't expecting to do that bad :s-smilie: walked out thinking it went alright lol
Reply 2
Original post by fayeb1999
Hi, I'm resitting geography too but just the second paper.
I got an A in the other paper and for my topics I did a lot of case study cards for population, health, rivers and coasts and a lot of cramming.
For the second paper, I reckon that the first part of paper 2 which is usually either populations or rivers will probably be more likely to be populations this year. They usually do one off one on every year however they have repeated rivers for 2 years but this was a few years ago.
From what I remember, spearmans rank came up last year so I find it unlikely it will come up again. I wouldn't be surprised to get given a few graphs in the first section and to state advantages/disadvantages of the graphs and comment on population growth etc.
As for fieldwork, I think the study map question came up last year so I find that unlikely to come up. I'm sure that a question on primary data collection will come up.

Good luck for the unit 1 and 2! Can't imagine how much revision you'd need to do for unit 1 along with this years stuff.
What did you get in the papers by the way? I did bad in paper 2 and I wasn't expecting to do that bad :s-smilie: walked out thinking it went alright lol

Thank you for your help. I honestly did not think anyone was going to reply.

I got a D and an E. I need a B for Uni, so I figured I needed to resit them. I spoke to my teacher and she reckons that they are going to even out the unit 2 paper and finish it off with rivers this year. The population topic was set one extra time than Rivers. I thought it went alright too, but I guess something went wrong (I was getting A's and B's throughout the year)

If you have any old notes from unit 1 please forward them to me, that would be super helpful.

Revising for all four units has been a horrible. I am really worried I am going to fail. For some reason learning the stats and getting them to stick in my head has been quite hard for Unit 1. Otherwise, the questions for unit 1 paper seem quite easy now as I am doing the A2 units.

:smile:
Also resitting both, but worried especially for the unit 2 haven't really looked at it in class since we did the fieldwork at the start of the year, any tips?
Reply 4
Original post by Dangerousbros
Also resitting both, but worried especially for the unit 2 haven't really looked at it in class since we did the fieldwork at the start of the year, any tips?

Hey,

How is your revision going? I did worst on the unit 2 paper yet I am more worried about unit 1. The only tips that have helped me is just doing as many past paper questions as possible. That shows me where I am going wrong, so I know where to revise and recap. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 5
Hi.
For AS last year, I got a D in Unit 1 and a C in Unit 2 and got a C overall.
Unit 1 is literally 5 days away and I am scared af.

😶😶😶😶😶😶
Reply 6
Original post by amar54321
Hi.
For AS last year, I got a D in Unit 1 and a C in Unit 2 and got a C overall.
Unit 1 is literally 5 days away and I am scared af.

😶😶😶😶😶😶

Hi
I can understand your feeling. I am extremely scared of failing for the second time.
I need to get to uni, and don't want this topic to let me down.

:frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by gev27
Thank you for your help. I honestly did not think anyone was going to reply.

I got a D and an E. I need a B for Uni, so I figured I needed to resit them. I spoke to my teacher and she reckons that they are going to even out the unit 2 paper and finish it off with rivers this year. The population topic was set one extra time than Rivers. I thought it went alright too, but I guess something went wrong (I was getting A's and B's throughout the year)

If you have any old notes from unit 1 please forward them to me, that would be super helpful.

Revising for all four units has been a horrible. I am really worried I am going to fail. For some reason learning the stats and getting them to stick in my head has been quite hard for Unit 1. Otherwise, the questions for unit 1 paper seem quite easy now as I am doing the A2 units.

:smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine, don't worry about it. Now that you've done geography for another year it all seems a lot easier (it does for me when I look back at geog2) and we know how the exam is and feel more prepared in the exam.
I did have Unit 1 notes but I'm sure I burned them as I didn't see the need in them anymore :redface: sorry. My hand writing gets very messy when I write revision notes so you'd struggle reading them.
I really recommend the CGP book for AS I got all my case studies out of there and found it great for understanding the more harder stuff which for me was rivers and coasts. Stats wise for unit 1 when remember percentages and case study specific if you can't remember them try rounding them to whole numbers as I'm sure the examiner wouldn't really check to see if it was right/wrong. My teacher recommends writing down any statistics down on cards and just looking at them all the time, putting them on the fridge, on the mirror, where you're most likely to look everyday as this helps you remember them.
What you planning on doing for uni? I've applied for biological sciences, so my biggest worry is getting a good biology grade :s-smilie:
Reply 8
I'm sure you'll be fine, don't worry about it. Now that you've done geography for another year it all seems a lot easier (it does for me when I look back at geog2) and we know how the exam is and feel more prepared in the exam.
I did have Unit 1 notes but I'm sure I burned them as I didn't see the need in them anymore :redface: sorry. My hand writing gets very messy when I write revision notes so you'd struggle reading them.
I really recommend the CGP book for AS I got all my case studies out of there and found it great for understanding the more harder stuff which for me was rivers and coasts. Stats wise for unit 1 when remember percentages and case study specific if you can't remember them try rounding them to whole numbers as I'm sure the examiner wouldn't really check to see if it was right/wrong. My teacher recommends writing down any statistics down on cards and just looking at them all the time, putting them on the fridge, on the mirror, where you're most likely to look everyday as this helps you remember them.
What you planning on doing for uni? I've applied for biological sciences, so my biggest worry is getting a good biology grade :s-smilie:

Hey

That's a shame about the unit 1 notes, thank you for trying though.

I am writing down my notes over and over again to try and get them to stick in my head. Hopefully, the method works when I am trying to answer questions in the real exam.

I have applied to do Politics. I need to get ABB to get into the uni's I want to go to. I need a good grade in Politics, and I have done so many past paper questions it is unbelieveable. But, as I do them I become more confident in myself that I know the subjects quite well and that if I panic I am going to fail lol.

Let me know if you have any study tips for the units this year as well.

Good luck :smile:

I really recommend the CGP book for AS I got all my case studies out of there and found it great for understanding the more harder stuff which for me was rivers and coasts.

Agreed, I have the CGP book for both years and it's really good, helped me loads.
Reply 10
Original post by Dangerousbros
Agreed, I have the CGP book for both years and it's really good, helped me loads.

I'm resiting unit 1, I've also revised using the CGP book and aqa text book! They really simplify everything in the spec. I think the MOST important thing though is doing loads of past paper practice because for geog they tend to repeat questions a lot! Especially as this is the last paper its bound to be things that have previously come up.
For unit 2 I did all the past papers and managed to get 90% ! Because you're doing unit 1 your rivers and population knowledge will already be good so just look at mark schemes to make sure you can pick up the marks! Focus on your fieldwork and use A2 geog4 knowledge from your fieldwork :smile:
GEOG 2 help!For my fieldwork this year for GEOG 4 my class did World Cities. My teacher told me that I would use this investigation for my geog 2 resit too (which is this Friday!) However, World Cities is only an A2 topic and not AS... do you think it's safe to use it anyway?
Reply 12
Original post by tarashafaat
GEOG 2 help!For my fieldwork this year for GEOG 4 my class did World Cities. My teacher told me that I would use this investigation for my geog 2 resit too (which is this Friday!) However, World Cities is only an A2 topic and not AS... do you think it's safe to use it anyway?

Considering it is not in the specification for that paper, I think it wouldn't be safe to use that as fieldwork purely because I think it is risky and could lose you a lot of marks that can differentiate between an A and a B for example. I think it would be safer to use fieldwork that correlates with one of the topics you studied for AS.

Again, this is just my perspective as I would hate for them to take marks from you for some silly reason like using a different case study from a spec that is not part of the AS unit. If it is too late for you to learn or use another one, just stick to that. I did Epping Forest as part of the Rivers module. Not the best case study, but it still links with the spec. I am sure there must be loads of case studies you can take from online too as a last minute alternative.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by L1lly
I'm resiting unit 1, I've also revised using the CGP book and aqa text book! They really simplify everything in the spec. I think the MOST important thing though is doing loads of past paper practice because for geog they tend to repeat questions a lot! Especially as this is the last paper its bound to be things that have previously come up.
For unit 2 I did all the past papers and managed to get 90% ! Because you're doing unit 1 your rivers and population knowledge will already be good so just look at mark schemes to make sure you can pick up the marks! Focus on your fieldwork and use A2 geog4 knowledge from your fieldwork :smile:

That was really helpful, thank you so much!

Good luck with your exams :biggrin:
Original post by gev27
Considering it is not in the specification for that paper, I think it wouldn't be safe to use that as fieldwork purely because I think it is risky and could lose you a lot of marks that can differentiate between an A and a B for example. I think it would be safer to use fieldwork that correlates with one of the topics you studied for AS.

Again, this is just my perspective as I would hate for them to take marks from you for some silly reason like using a different case study from a spec that is not part of the AS unit. If it is too late for you to learn or use another one, just stick to that. I did Epping Forest as part of the Rivers module. Not the best case study, but it still links with the spec. I am sure there must be loads of case studies you can take from online too as a last minute alternative.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks so much for the advice, that's kind of what I've been thinking myself. Luckily there's an AS topic that I can probably make my study fit around if I make some changes to it. 😊
Im resitting the unit 1 this year and I am so screwed - Ive not started revising properly at all cause I've kept putting it off in favour of coursework. Now the exam is on Tuesday and I have no clue where to start!
I did get a B in it last year but I need an A overall for uni so really bricking myself.
Reply 16
Hi guys. I was just wondering if anyone had any predictions on what questions could potentially come up on tomorrow's exam. I am doing Rivers, Cold Environments, Population and Energy.

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by gev27
That was really helpful, thank you so much!

Good luck with your exams :biggrin:

No problem! Thank you! Good luck to you too and everyone resisting :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by L1lly
No problem! Thank you! Good luck to you too and everyone resisting :smile:

Resitting ** Loool
Unit 2 predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending