The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog Unit 4 6GE04 01 - 9th June 2017 - Tectonic Hazards [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Here2learn
What factors are you doing?

Physical: Magnitude, type of hazard climate
Human: Economic development, population issues and governance
I'd still like to make passing reference to other factors
Original post by Here2learn
What factors are you doing?

Level of Development: Boxing Day Tsunami and Tohoku Tsunami
Magnitude: Mount Merapi and Mount Sinabung Volcanoes in Indonesia
Training/Prepardness: Haiti and New Zealand Earthquakes
you need a password ? ;(
Reply 43
case studies and factors people are using? Did a main body mock today and found it so hard..
Original post by ali99
case studies and factors people are using? Did a main body mock today and found it so hard..

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1494445443.804784.jpg

These are pretty much the factors that I will be choosing from most likely to be the ones that have case study ideas next to them 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by ChantelleRowe

These are pretty much the factors that I will be choosing from most likely to be the ones that have case study ideas next to them 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile

thankyou!
Original post by ChantelleRowe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its best if you have a set for earthquakes, volcanos and tsunamis as it shows full knowledge of the course
Reply 47
Original post by saft
Physical: Magnitude, type of hazard climate
Human: Economic development, population issues and governance
I'd still like to make passing reference to other factors

I'm so confused with unit 4!
My teacher goes that going with many factors it makes the answer very limited in understanding.
So,below is my plan.
I haven't done any research into the case studies yet!
Am I the only one that is this behind?
Original post by saft
I'm so confused with unit 4!
My teacher goes that going with many factors it makes the answer very limited in understanding.
So,below is my plan.
I haven't done any research into the case studies yet!
Am I the only one that is this behind?

I think that's too many factors. Remember you only have 1 hour 30 mins to do this in. If you do 3 factors with 2 case studies to compare in each factor it will provide the best structure.

Structure
Introduction
Methodology
Case Studies 1 (Earthquakes) e.g. Development
Case Studies 2 (Volcanos) e.g. Preparedness
Case Studies 3 (Tsunamis) e.g. Accessibility
Conclussion

That will provide you with the best chance of achieving marks. Most marks (annoyingly) come from the structure and only 20 marks for geographical knowledge - Thats less than half
Reply 49
Original post by Ryan CS
I think that's too many factors. Remember you only have 1 hour 30 mins to do this in. If you do 3 factors with 2 case studies to compare in each factor it will provide the best structure.

Structure
Introduction
Methodology
Case Studies 1 (Earthquakes) e.g. Development
Case Studies 2 (Volcanos) e.g. Preparedness
Case Studies 3 (Tsunamis) e.g. Accessibility
Conclussion

That will provide you with the best chance of achieving marks. Most marks (annoyingly) come from the structure and only 20 marks for geographical knowledge - Thats less than half

I do agree!
It's just weridly my teacher didnt want to do 'level of development' as factor hence why in the plan i have 4 factors:
1.level of econ development (tsunamis)
2. Governance (Which for some reason my teacher kept shoving down our throats) (Earthquakes)
3. Science, training and preparedness (which I wanted to compare perhaps a a volcano vs. earthquake sorta thing)
4. Mag/Duration (volcanoes)
Original post by saft
I do agree!
It's just weridly my teacher didnt want to do 'level of development' as factor hence why in the plan i have 4 factors:
1.level of econ development (tsunamis)
2. Governance (Which for some reason my teacher kept shoving down our throats) (Earthquakes)
3. Science, training and preparedness (which I wanted to compare perhaps a a volcano vs. earthquake sorta thing)
4. Mag/Duration (volcanoes)

Level of Development should be 1 of the 3 as it is mentioned in the steer. I would recommend keeping the same hazard comparisons as earthquakes could be more devastating than volcano for example
The specification requires you to be taught the approaches/factors/type of management for tectonic hazards so as a result this is the direction the question they ask will take! in order to access A/A* you need to include models such as the disaster management cycle, degg's and or Parks model (many others). An effective analysis break down may be the parts of the disaster management cycle (mitigation/preparedness, response, recovery/reconstruction) and subconclusion at the end of each analysis section to show thorough evaluation.

1.0 introduction
2.0 research and methodology
3.0 Analysis (brief explanation of the potential factors that effect management but explain why you're only doing 3-say they're most important for example, if you frame it using the disaster management cycle say so and why)
3.1 mitigation (Illapel earthquake or Mount pinatubo eruption were both well managed despite being less developed countries, Japan poorly prepared for tohuku as it had a weak perception)
3.2 response (poor response to the disaster is Haiti, mainly international aid you can discuss level of development and governance as factors here)
3.3 recovery (Christchurch, Japan after tohuku?, build back better ect.)
4.0 conclusion

This is from the top of my head not sure what I'm doing yet lol
Anyone splitting the factors into human and physical?

Does anyone has a sample report?
My school has told us to structure our answers based on LEDCs and MEDCs, with one case study for each disaster (ie 2 for volcano, 2 for earthquake and 2 for tsunami =6 in total) and then we are told to do a sub conclusion and only then we are to bring in different factors?
Reply 54
Original post by Theawesomejem
The specification requires you to be taught the approaches/factors/type of management for tectonic hazards so as a result this is the direction the question they ask will take! in order to access A/A* you need to include models such as the disaster management cycle, degg's and or Parks model (many others). An effective analysis break down may be the parts of the disaster management cycle (mitigation/preparedness, response, recovery/reconstruction) and subconclusion at the end of each analysis section to show thorough evaluation.

1.0 introduction
2.0 research and methodology
3.0 Analysis (brief explanation of the potential factors that effect management but explain why you're only doing 3-say they're most important for example, if you frame it using the disaster management cycle say so and why)
3.1 mitigation (Illapel earthquake or Mount pinatubo eruption were both well managed despite being less developed countries, Japan poorly prepared for tohuku as it had a weak perception)
3.2 response (poor response to the disaster is Haiti, mainly international aid you can discuss level of development and governance as factors here)
3.3 recovery (Christchurch, Japan after tohuku?, build back better ect.)
4.0 conclusion

This is from the top of my head not sure what I'm doing yet lol

I'm sorry, this could be morning brain talking,
But isn't approaches to management and type of management the same thing ?
As for both wouldnt you go with: Prediction, prep, recovery and reconstruction ?

See, the advice from my old geo teacher said to do it like that but my new one wants factors - and idk what to do. It'll all be question dependent anyway -
Should I just do both?
Original post by saft
I'm sorry, this could be morning brain talking,
But isn't approaches to management and type of management the same thing ?
As for both wouldnt you go with: Prediction, prep, recovery and reconstruction ?

See, the advice from my old geo teacher said to do it like that but my new one wants factors - and idk what to do. It'll all be question dependent anyway -
Should I just do both?

Approaches is do nothing, adjust and leave whereas type is what techniques occurred such as technological fix or something they are similar! I will be question dependent so I'm doing one based on approaches,one on DMC and one based on factors😂Hoping for factors more to say tbh! Yup those headings are perfect like I said it was from the top of my head ahaha
Reply 56
Original post by Theawesomejem
Approaches is do nothing, adjust and leave whereas type is what techniques occurred such as technological fix or something they are similar! I will be question dependent so I'm doing one based on approaches,one on DMC and one based on factors😂Hoping for factors more to say tbh! Yup those headings are perfect like I said it was from the top of my head ahaha

Thank you so much Jem!!
I finally get what I need to do.
This is so much work 😣
And I have yet to get started.
😢😢
I'm really sorry to ask, but do you have plans or docs to help me get started? It's okay if you don't wanna share em.
Original post by saft
Thank you so much Jem!!
I finally get what I need to do.
This is so much work 😣
And I have yet to get started.
😢😢
I'm really sorry to ask, but do you have plans or docs to help me get started? It's okay if you don't wanna share em.

It won't let me post if you pm your email I can do once I have substantial stuff I've not been focussing on geog as it's my best subject, history is what I'm scared for
Reply 58
Original post by Joshy4922
I have set up this thread for any revision material to be posted for the 2017 Unit 4 exam on tectonics.

Hello, i've just came back from a gap year, so a lil confused with it all. Where can i find the Unit 4 pre release for tectonics? Or does anyone know what it is? Thanks!
Original post by Ed coe
Hello, i've just came back from a gap year, so a lil confused with it all. Where can i find the Unit 4 pre release for tectonics? Or does anyone know what it is? Thanks!

Its about the management of tectonic disasters with a focus on level of development

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending